Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I see the Remington Safari Mauser made in the Zastava factory advertised in 375 H&H and 458 Win.

Do any of you have experience with this product?

If so is the action long enough for re-chambering for the 458 Lott?

Thank you.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is my 458 in the basic rifle. If they can chamber these for 375 H&H, the 458 Lott is no problem. wink

They are a lot of rifle for the $500-$600 the market is asking right now.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would not take much to turn one into a good quality DGR or even a PH heavy rifle. Dial in the feeding and action cycling details including smoothing everything up and quadruple checking function and reliability.... maybe some trigger work, good solid optics and you would be up and running with good stuff.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
And get a "real" stock....not one made of plastic or plywood!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A guy I met at the range had one of these in 375 H&H. It looked ok, I don't like the stock, but I didn't shoot it. Where are they made?

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Actually, the new "safari" model is hard to find. It is the same action as the one shown above,(zastava) but the stock is different (only 3 pieces of laminate IIRC) and the barrel is shorter , 22 inches instead of 26. There is one that you can look at on gunbroker in 458 but I have not seen a 375. Also, they are selling for about $850 and as a result, dealers are closing out the 798's at good prices. Sellers on gunbroker are trying to sell the 798's as "safari' models but most are like the one Bruce has pictured above.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Auction # 158858572 check this auction on gunbroker.....nice looking rifle.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I recall something came up awhile back about them firing before the bolt closed? Anybody have any comment on that? If its so then I don't want one..

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Try laminated maple & walnut..... That is what you are looking at.

The one thing I look forward to with technology is to travel back in time to hunt mastodons!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ray,

I have had a bunch of the Zastava versions of this gun, from Whitworth, early Mark Xs, Alaskans, and now this 798.

The guns have had no such problems in my experience. I just sold a "surplus" 375 early Mark X to a member here that is excellent, and I am keeping an Alaskan 458 I got recently for a 458 Lott to play with. I have a lot of respect for these guns, although the machining quality is nothing like it once was. They still shoot where pointed and feed well.

I handled a "safari" model at SCI, and it does look nice in the 3-ply stock! The 22" barrel makes more sense, also.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I think that an Interarms Whitworth Mauser would be a better alternative. Remington and Zastva don't seem to be able to play well with each other.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
I think that an Interarms Whitworth Mauser would be a better alternative. Remington and Zastva don't seem to be able to play well with each other.

Could you elaborate on how this would affect me as a buyer?

Going bang at the wrong time would be a bother all right, that would be a deal killer.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
siskiyous6,

Please buy whichever rifle you want.

Interarms and what is now called Zastava were in business together for decades. I've seen the 798s and I've seen Whiworth Mausers. Zastava built the barreled actions for both.
Compare one next to the other for yourself for fit and finish.

As for Remington's issues with Zastava, Remington is obviously not happy. Remington has a reputation to maintain for quality and reliability. The same cannot be said for Serbian industries. Remember the Yugo?

I don't own stock in any company. So I have nothing to gain or lose in your purchase. As I said... Buy whatever you want too.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Unfortunately here in Northern CA (Baja Oregon) getting my hands on great guns so as to compare them is difficult. Not to start a fight, but I never cared much for Remington's guns, the only one I own is a Fieldmaster .22LR pump rifle. But I like Mausers.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
siskiyous6,

Remington's Model 798 programs appears to be a great business plan that is or was poorly executed. I've handled the one true 798 Safari model I've seen. With the three pieced walnut laminate stock and a 22" barrel it looked good for under a thousand dollars. Not good to go, but a good project gun. Smooth out the action, replace the trigger, put a better safety on, rebedding into the stock, and mount decent iron sights. Then it would be ready for anything out there worldwide!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My thoughts exactly excepting I would keep the original trigger with just a bit of smithing to smooth and lighten it up a smidge. Yep , for very little green one could have a real capable DGR there. And I too, like the laminate. I have two customs with laminate stocks and I could have done other if I had wanted to. nice looking to my eyes and rugged, stable etc.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Local Cabela's had the 3 piece laminate on sale for $800 and was planning on getting one in a 458 Win. All they had was the 375, since I already have one in a Winchester decided to pass. The one I did look at seemed like a pretty decent rifle for the money. A little rough, but that's to be expected. Probably could be tuned and smoothed for not much dough.

`Bring Enough Gun`
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have never had any problems with the Mark X or the Whitworths, in fact I think they are an exceptional Mauser and very underated...The problem I am told arose with the ore recent Zastavas, according to Jack Belk, unless I misunderstood him, and that was some time back before he moved out of this area..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rem M798 Safari - have the .458 Win version with fancy laminated walnut stock,rosewood fore-end tip and 22 inch barrel. My 'smith asked that same question (reaming to .458 Lott) after I took delivery. He stated it would not be a problem. My reply was "why bother?". Today's .458 Winchester round is much better than when introduced. Sure, if you want the extra power you can go the Lott route but I would suggest trying the modern .458 Win round first then decide. BTW - this is my second .458 Win rifle and I've re-loaded for the caliber since the 70's. After all, you never know when you'll come across a rogue garbage truck - LOL. Homesteader

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The gun in question currently being marketed by either EAA or USSG (ussginc.com/pdfs/catalogpg6.pdf), as a Zastava Z98. As it is currently being marketed, and while the barrel is 22", it is sans sights. Sights and installation could be the 'deal breaker'.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.