-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a new redfield 3x9 to put on my new tikka t3 243. 3x9 is my most common overall scope, I have owned burris, nikon, bushnell, leupold, sightron, zeiss and redfield that I can think of in my head. I have owned nearly all of them.

anyways, the matte finish is ok I guees, it seems very similar to what burris uses which is prone to scratching and isn't very durable. the adjustment ring doesn't have a very far adjustment, so you have to look closely at what power you are on. the glass looks great, I would say comparable to my elite 3200, eye relief is plenty long, longer than the bushnells or nikons. the troubling thing is IMO my scope was terrible at tracking adjustments. I had to really experiment to get it sighted in, I did shoot a .3" group when I quit adjusting it. so hopefully it stays put,

IMO redfield puts its money into glass and eyerelief, for $120 bucks, I say its a decent value, it doesn't turn the 3x9 market on its ear like some suggested, my favorite 3x9 is still the elite 4200, and this scope didn't change my mind, so for what its worth, if the gun is to be used as a back up, a truck gun, or a non serious gun, the redfield just might be a great scope for you, if you spend alot of money on your hunts, drive a long ways, or otherwise want to get serious about what you are hunting or shooting at, I say spend the extra money on a 3200, 4200, buckmaster or even a zeiss conquest.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Redfield is now owned by Leupold. New scopes are warranted by them and built for a market sector. Probably way better than any leupy rifleman scope.

For a best value scope, look for a Simmons Aetec in the 2.5-10x

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
If the gun is to be used as a back up, a truck gun, or a non serious gun, the redfield just might be a great scope for you, if you spend alot of money on your hunts, drive a long ways, or otherwise want to get serious about what you are hunting or shooting at, I say spend the extra money on a 3200, 4200, buckmaster or even a zeiss conquest.

Pretty general statments based on having worked with a ENTIRE SAMPLE OF ONE of the new Redfields..

If the adjustments are TRULY not working as properly then send the damn thing back. It's the ONLY way they can make it right AND learn to do better..

Merely posting about it on the 'net won't solve much.

Last edited by jim62; 03/01/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
as long as the adjustments stay put, I really don't care how they track for this gun. but my opinion is still the same, and I thought others would appreciate it. its not a better scope than an elite, but then again it is less money. my point is depending on your needs spending an extra 50 bucks for a "little" better scope to me is money well spent.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I tried a new Redfield 2-7 the other day, on a new Ruger 1A in 30.06, tracked in nicely and zeroed in 6 shots at 100 mtrs. Good value for money by the looks of the optics.I'll try the adjustments next week. Quite happy with it , could be a great starting scope for shooters, without spending a great deal of money .

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
as long as the adjustments stay put, I really don't care how they track for this gun. but my opinion is still the same, and I thought others would appreciate it. its not a better scope than an elite, but then again it is less money. my point is depending on your needs spending an extra 50 bucks for a "little" better scope to me is money well spent.

Only $50 more??

Absolute Bullpuckey.

FWIW, I like Bushell products as a whole. But based on REALWORLD PRICES of their comparable scopes these days, the Redfield beat them hands down feature for feature, IMHO.

The 3200 series 3x9s certainly are NOT any better scopes overall. And, the 4200 3-9 scopes are $250 +.

The lockable Ocular adjustment, Finger tip turrets, Leupold backed Warrantee, Generous Eye box and eye relief not to mention made in the USA are some thing NO BUSHNELL 3-9 SCOPE OFFERS.. period.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
the 3200, has a better outer finish IMO, the power adjustment ring is smooth and more user friendly. with a 3x9 finger turrets don't mean anything to me, I personally like a scope with a little less eye relief, I have this redfield mounted as far forward in the tikka rings as they will go, it works, but would be slightly better mounted further or having less eyerelief. the elite series also tracks excellent in my experience which is more than I could say about this particular redfield.

if I am going to be using the gun as a primary weapon for hunting and its cost me time away from my family and fuel and wear and tear on my vehicle, my minimum scope is going to be an elite 3200, I trust the elite series and they have worked for me and never let me down. is that worth an extra 50-60 bucks, to me it is.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well,

You have a lot different imprsssions of the 3200 3-9 Bushnells than I do..

The optics on the ones I have seen/used sure were no bargain for the price. LOT'S of internal tube flare and fuziness around the edges of the field. Not even close to the optics on the 4200 series stuff I have used.

One a hunting rifle I LIKE the trimmer Eyepeice and power adjustments on the Redield, not to mention the lockable focus adjustment..

The Euro style non lockable focus ajustments on most of the Bushnell's are a terrible feature on any serious all around Hunting scope.

And, the eye relief is a big deal on long action rifles to allow the scope to come back far enough for a full field of veiw, not to mention hard kickers.

And then of course, on top of all of that is giving American workers at chance. For $120, I think I would at least give the folks a shot at fixing the problems with the adjustments you claim to have had..

Last edited by jim62; 03/02/10.

To all gunmaker critics-

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,412
Posts18,528,173
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.