-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
I have VCAS slings on 4 out of my 5 AR's. The VCAS for the fifth is on its way right now.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ringworm, to each their own.

If I think there is going to be a fight, I bring a rifle (and friends if available). If I use a long gun, I try to use one with a proper sling. If I use a handgun, I try to use one with a proper holster.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the question is about "home" and "defense".
this means, to those who lose sight, DEFENDING your living space. As soon as you exit the house and start agressing you are no longer defending.
As soon as you start moving towards the potential threat you are no longer defending.
Defense would be gathering the family into a safe area and directing fire towards the threat until you turn it or destroy it thru overwhelming firepower. Having a plan and the ability (READ TRAINING) to carry out that should start with with things much more important that "what sling?".

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Attempting to wrap things up in nice neat little packages, with narrow boundaries on definitions is an immediate indicator to me of someone who probably has had a little training,with no actual experience applying it, but has read a lot.

That is not neccesarily a bad thing, but if I were in that position, I would listen more and type less.

It has been my observation and experience that you do not get to choose what you are presented, threat wise. You unwrap your present and deal with it. Dealing with potentially armed conflict or threat of conflict, using a good all around tool like a rifle with a sling on it has proven to me to be a practical approach.

Ringworm, in your own posts you make negative comments about rifles, then type:

"directing fire towards the threat until you turn it or destroy it thru overwhelming firepower"

So by your logic a handgun is a better choice for "overwhelming firepower"?

Or did I "lose sight" ?

Now attempting to get back on track, I have used numerous designs in attempting to find what is most practical, and for me that has been the two point sling.

A two point sling is also a practical sling when defending ones self from an amorous camel.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cute camel grin
Defending is inside my home no need to follow outside. I will protect my wife and dog as well as I can.

It has been my observation and experience that you do not get to choose what you are presented, threat wise. You unwrap your present and deal with it. Dealing with potentially armed conflict or threat of conflict, using a good all around tool like a rifle with a sling on it has proven to me to be a practical approach.

Ringworm, in your own posts you make negative comments about rifles, then type:

"directing fire towards the threat until you turn it or destroy it thru overwhelming firepower"

So by your logic a handgun is a better choice for "overwhelming firepower"?

Or did I "lose sight" ?

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
your right, little exper.
5811 USMC w/ more than 80 hours in MOUT.
I think if you are going to use a long gun in a defensive position, inside the confines of a dwelling, a shotgun is a better tool.
If you have to exit the room a pistol will at the least give you a weapon that you can use when moving from room to room.
a long gun is useless.
ANYONE who feels they can move thru a doorway with a carbine AND be effective if engaged is lost in a world of movie heros.
I will be glad to demonstrate the failings of such tactics.
The only catch is that i get to keep the rifle once i take it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
this means, to those who lose sight, DEFENDING your living space. As soon as you exit the house and start agressing you are no longer defending.
As soon as you start moving towards the potential threat you are no longer defending.
Defense would be gathering the family into a safe area and directing fire towards the threat until you turn it or destroy it thru overwhelming firepower. Having a plan and the ability (READ TRAINING) to carry out that should start with with things much more important that "what sling?".

The best Defense is a good offense. As long as there is a threat I can move any direction I want to.

If I see you armed in my yard, I am not obligated to give you time to figure out how to react to me.

And, we are talking about defense of the home, not the legal aftermath here. I intend to survive to debate the issue, and I don't want the aggressor chiming in. A rifle makes this more likely than a pistol does.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by ringworm

FWIW, this is not necessarily true, as it will depend upon the law of the jurisdiction in question and the circumstances. Some jurisdictions extend the "castle" of the home to the curtilage of the same, and the yard and outbuildings are included in that.

Judged by 12; carried by 6. You're likely going to have one of those options: choose wisely.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Let's not lose sight of the fact that the OP added hunting as well.

Everyone gets hung up on the home defense part and argues, pistol or shotgun are better but if that's the case then why are so many LE agencies switching to the carbine? And on top of that they are switching from the MP5 to the AR. Training is key and I don't have the training to argue either way but I do know about hunting and the VCAS slings are on all my AR's.

I've gone through the house with a pistol once, after hearing a noise. I wound up outside and found myself wanting 2 things, a better light and my AR.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
possibly because you ran into no one...
I assure you. you cant dross the threshhold w/ a carbine without one of two things happening.
#1 the carbine will come first. giving away your position and presenting itself for removal by an aggressor.
#2 being ineffective because of the direction its aimed/ pointed.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You don't know what you don't know.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i know that thinking and hopeing are a long way from doing.
i also know that i want to keep every advantage i can, like where i am and when i am coming down the funnel.
no one has yet told me how to get thru the door without the muzzle coming first...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
shoulder transitions?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course one assumes that the POS looking to get your good silver and the laser disk player would have the first clue about removing the weapon from your control - if he happened to notice the muzzle first and was close enough to do something about it.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gary,

I use a single point sling made by Tactical Tailor. It has a quick disconnect buckle, and most of the time, that little bit of sling is attached.
If I felt I needed to transition outside, I'd snap on the sling, but inside, I don't see any need for it.

Sam......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the weapon will not be effective till it can be brought to a position in line with the target.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some people get hung up on a small piece of a big picture. Let the perp come to you through the threshold if you don't know how to get through it yourself. I was taught to crouch in these situations as one alternative.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Originally Posted by Gary O
I will soon have an M4 mid length carbine with a 6 position stock and an A2 front sight. What kind of a sling set-up do I need for home defense/SHTF and maybe a little walk about hunting? Please include names and parts I will need. Thanks.

If you need a rifle for home defense you will not likely have time to screw around with a sling.
Back in the day when I was packing an M-16 I carried the sling in a pocket when on patrol. This was the nylon web M-1 type with the spring hook on the bottom and the quick adjust at the top. The sling that comes with ARs today is a useless POS IMO and I leave them in the box.
I have a 3 point my son was making before he enlisted in the Marines and I like ti pretty well. But in the home its just in the way. So its in my pack right now.
Dan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,267
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.