Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This have been slow around here so maybe I can speed things up a bit. I pucked up the last deer I shot ealier this week (wife won't let me do it myself) and the processor told me that the little button head only weighed 78#. I had to laugh, I knew he was small when I shot him but it was the end of season and the freezer was empty. So tomorrow night I am going to make a venision pot roast and have some tender vittles.

What is the smallest deer you ever shot?
[Linked Image]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
goodie eating isn't it

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hey Ruger.

If you are referring to screwing up the processing of your deer let me give a little advice? If you want to hear my novice opinion. Cut out the loin and buy yourself a $99 grinder and grind the rest. I love steaks but find that my family eats a hell of a lot more burger. No need to add suete.

Its hard to screw up burger as long as the cleaning, cooling, etc. is done right which im sure it is.

I suppose it doesn't take much more to cut a deer, steaks and roasts and everything else, I just find that this is what works for me.

When I hunt out of state (SC) I have it processed and will get some different cuts but for the local blacktail this is what I do. I hope this helps and saves you a few bucks. I also find it adds to the experience when you process your own animal. Plus the wife likes to help.

If I'm off base to your dilemma I apologize.
-Jammer

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sorry I got off your original question. The smallest deer I ever shot was a 95# doe in South Carolina.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine still had faint spots.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My smallest deer and biggest 'trophy'

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
39 pounds live weight was my smallest that I shot. In our high density enclosure without supplemental feed. In December. Still had small spots.
But one of my better "catches" was these four back in college. All buck fawns, just kicked off of their mommas, when I dropped the net and called for the processing crew, I couldn't hog tie them all fast enough, so the last one in line flopped around for a little bit under the net til he had a heart attack. Still good eating though as our scientific harvest permit only said the ones we shot had to be donated. The others are being released outside the enclosures, not blind folded for execution.
[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
55# button buck with milk still in its stomach (late December in Arkansas). Walked in front of mom at the last second.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I honestly don't know. I could pick it up with one hand though so it must have been some less than 50 pounds.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This little dude isnt the smallest deer Ive shot, but he was the smallest mule deer Ive shot...
The meat is unbelievable ....... grin

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Back in 95' when I first got out of the military my Uncles dad and I went on a mission to thin the herd to make our camp a worth while hunting place. We had densities in the neighborhood of 55-65 per sq mile. We had a lot of crop damage permits and we shot small does, late fawns and deformed bucks only. Anything healthy or big was left for stock. We shot them in October through december with both archery and rifles and we got some small ones. I remember some dressed near 45#. I know it sounds horrible to some of you who would only shoot a big buck but this was needed. Now today we have some beautiful deer. All our does we shot last year were 130+ dressed which makes for a 165+ on the hoof animal. Not to mention are bucks are around the 200 lb mark again. The small ones that you shoot in the fall don't usually make the winter in my neck of the woods. Why let it suffer through the winter to take up much needed food that a healthy deer would need to feed the coyotes and wolves. And they do eat good. Hard to beat tenderloins you can cut with a fork.

Last edited by brinky72; 02/19/10. Reason: more info

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jammer
Hey Ruger.

If you are referring to screwing up the processing of your deer let me give a little advice? If you want to hear my novice opinion. Cut out the loin and buy yourself a $99 grinder and grind the rest. I love steaks but find that my family eats a hell of a lot more burger. No need to add suete.

Its hard to screw up burger as long as the cleaning, cooling, etc. is done right which im sure it is.

I suppose it doesn't take much more to cut a deer, steaks and roasts and everything else, I just find that this is what works for me.

When I hunt out of state (SC) I have it processed and will get some different cuts but for the local blacktail this is what I do. I hope this helps and saves you a few bucks. I also find it adds to the experience when you process your own animal. Plus the wife likes to help.

If I'm off base to your dilemma I apologize.
-Jammer

I can do it myself and have on several occasions but alass my wife isn't a country girl and dead animals aren't aloud on the propery with out a fair amount of grief. Last year I caped out a der skull in the garage and she nearly divorced me. She is coming around though but a couple weeks ago I cut a pig up in the woods and BBQed it. She found a few hairs in the sink from cleaning up at the house and she nearly throw up. Thank God she's pretty.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
my first deer was my smallest, he weighed 45lbs field dressed, I don't ever remember being so happy
smile smile smile smile smile

Brett
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another Tender Vittles shot from last season..

When ND saw it, he said " Get in mah belly!!!" grin

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Back when I was in school, the state (IA) had too many deer in this state park and you were issued two tags...but if you went in and shot a fawn, you could go back to the front gate and they'd give you another tag, so that is what I did. Changed me forever, as eating those bambis was oh so fine. Every year since, I make sure and shoot at least one bambi. It's become Christmas tradition around my house to have leg of bambi for dinner...just cook her up whole like a leg of lamb and have at it. Draws rave reviews every year.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1 to that Whip....I always save the "trim" meat and make burger...this year the trim from 3 "dinks" is absolutely the best burger Ive ever eaten...I hate to use it in things like tacos. All three were 1.5 yrs. old, one mighta been less.... whistle
Really superb .....

Ingwe

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We didn't weigh it, but my smallest was a little nub buck that couldn't have been more than 65 Lbs.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If one of those small ones, particularly a button buck, came off of my club's lease the meat would be pricier than Kobe beef.

Last edited by mathman; 03/02/10.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The smallest deer I ever shot was a button buck, that was without further inspection interpreted to be a doe haha smile It weighed 50 or so pounds, and was oh so much better tasting then any other deer shot!

The one thing I look forward to with technology is to travel back in time to hunt mastodons!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our caribou hunting guides in northern Quebec said they prefer to shoot a cow and calf. I have done it, though there are still plenty of pricks around that will persecute [sp] you for it from some sort of imaginary high ground.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,215
Posts18,485,497
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.