Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Rory
22 H.P. E.G. D & T "is still seriously collectible",,,,,Hmmmm,,Wow,never heard that befoe grin
What Are they worth by chance?
I only seen a few,,2 are pretty really nice,,hi-end
and 1 D & T.
Steve

There was a 1920's solid frame 99E that went on a PA auction last week, d&t but otherwise clean. Guessing somebody got it very, very reasonable..

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Calhoun,

Any additional info on the early E auction? Link perhaps?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's the PDF showing it. Check pages 21/22/23 or somewhere around there. There's a chance it's not correct, maybe somebody swapped barrels or something. But the 99E was catalogued in 22HP, and it looks right.

February auction

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by lovemy99
the difference is I'm just try to egg him on...

I agree with him 100%, I personally wouldn't call the gun collectible to save my life but at the same time...but... its not my job to pee in someone's cheereos... That is what we have Joe for! And some times Jed, he strikes less often these days but when he gets a hold of one he don't let go until its dead... and then there's Lauren but he only logs in about once a week... but Joe, Joe is steady like a rock... need someone to ruin your day and he right there for ya smile

well regardless of the black dots, or D/T, or whether it's considered a collectible gun or not, the gun sold today for $750, which is Blue Book price for a 1923 99G in 90% condition, grading it myself using the photo guide of the 2009 Blue Book

see hit here

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158156285

I'll stand on my previous statement, the gun is a bit more than a shooter. You'd be hard pressed to find one in that condition, black dots and D/T, or not. It was numbers matching, and in better shape than most of the so-called "collectible" guns out there.

now I can go out and get a real shooter, not a safe queen that I'm afraid to climb into a deer stand with, for fear of ruining it.

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; 03/03/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CaptainCrossman

now I can go out and get a real shooter, not a safe queen that I'm afraid to climb into a deer stand with, for fear of ruining it.

Oh, you've got a safe queen as well? Why don't you post some pics of it, I'd love to see it.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
now, now- temper, temper...

money talks- you can't argue with success

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by carbon12
CaptainC

We have seen a lot of bubba-like mods done to 99s on this forum but I think that the faux cross bolt is a first. Reminds me of Marilyn Monroe's beauty mark...... which was not a bad thing.

At one time, on this forum, an unoriginal 99 automatically acquired the post-fix 'rat'. For example, a 99 that was D&T is a Swiss cheese rat. Your 99 is quite likely the first beauty mark rat. grin

well said. The black dots do tend to make the stock look more streamlined in that area, that part of the stock always looked a bit too big to me, on these Model 99's- like it's out of proportion there or something. My guess is a previous owner added that as his personal touch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Success at flimflam? If so one can only admire expertise rather than virtue. You and Flipper should get along just fine.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

money talks

Haha, I sure won't argue with that, there are some stupid people out there I know that. Hey as long as you don't feel bad then it's all good.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by 99guy
[quote=ROMAC]
CaptainC thinks his D&T G is a collector. Who am I to tell him it's not?

based on what it sold for, I'd say you played that one right !

IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Success at flimflam? If so one can only admire expertise rather than virtue. You and Flipper should get along just fine.

a respectable, older gent who owns a gun shop, and is an FFL, bought it. someone with a lot more experience than you or I, and is in the business of firearms.

who are you to judge ? what qualifications do YOU have ?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by mad_dog

money talks

Haha, I sure won't argue with that, there are some stupid people out there I know that. Hey as long as you don't feel bad then it's all good.

the facts speak otherwise:

the buyer is a gun shop and FFL- he's in the business, it's his livelihood

we all know these guys typically pay 30% less for a gun, than they think it's actually worth, unless they really like it

the true test of any collectible, is it's ability to turn the value listed in the book- most do not

this one did- on the first time listed to boot

not multiple relists like others I've seen

reason- it was graded conservatively and accurately, then priced dead nuts on Blue Book value

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, $750 was a fair price for that gun for the buyer and the seller. Supply and demand determines the value of any gun and the buyer and seller determine price...not the blue book.

Seems to me the crux this particular argument is not what is it's value, but what constitutes or defines the parameters of a "collector" 99.

Something that could be debated to no end. So what's the point?

IMO...time to move on to the next argument. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CaptainCrossman, safe queen 250-3000's and 99G's in 250-3000 go for a more than $750. Nice shooters go for $750.. I'm glad you're happy with what you got out of it, there was nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't what you were hoping. We're not here to blast your dreams and hopes, but we are going to inject reality.

Hope you don't regret selling it later on. Those 250's are a great rifle.

Stick around, you'll see some impressive rifles go by occasionally.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skidrow

a respectable, older gent who owns a gun shop, and is an FFL, bought it. someone with a lot more experience than you or I, and is in the business of firearms.

George had a 99 once.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
750.00 rifle was a 300 sav

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd bet that man there has had more Savage 99's in his hands than the gunshop owner you burned on your D&T'd rifle.

This was kind of a joke at first but now your just getting cocky over taking a good chunk of money for that gun. What I think happened here is that somehow someone blew wind up yer arse saying it was an oh so collectible safe queen and your not to impressed with a bunch of collectors that handle them everyday and know that it isn't. Cripes I bet you think you could eat a chunk of coal and fart out a diamond tomorrow huh? You did good, I sure as hell wouldn't have paid $750 for it though. There are better 250's out there than that, sorry you've never seen one.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
750 is a little high for a drilled and taped G in 250, well done... that said, a truly collectible 250-3000 would go for $1500+, I have an early 250-3000 that I will admit to paying $1500 for but I would not sell it for less than $2000. I've never seen a nicer one... it might exist, I've just not seen it...

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Thanks buddy, always like to wake up in the morning, have my coffee and know I'm appreciated! grin

laugh laugh laugh

glad too see you know that I was only trying to egg you on...

Andrew
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
D&T, reblue, dots, whatever will devalue a collector, but they do not ruin it as a collector, A rare gun can have some flaws and still be valuble, just not as valueble as one without those flaws or changes or additions...Also depends how the work was done, I have seen some very collectables that were properly restored bring big bucks....

You can take a trash Win. or Savage and send it to Doug Turnbull and by that very fact it will come back to you worth more than a fully collectable rifle in many cases..You also will have a tidy bit of cash tied up in it.

Always beware fo selling a collector and the buyer starts whineing about D&T or blue or whatever, he MAY just be setting you up, then again he may not..IT JUST AIN'T THAT CUT AND DRIED!! smile

If you get into collectables you better know the business from start to finish, as its a tricky business to keep up with. Sell them face to face and no return, some folks send back guns for some ridiculas reasons because they think they know what they are talking about and they do not, and sending a high dollar gun in the mail may just ruin it! Also many don't agree on themOn the internet sales, some few "collectors" will buy 4 or 5 guns of one kind, pick the best one and send the rest back on the 5 day inspection for a number of conjured up reasons.....Collectables can be a royal pain for sure. smile smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (257 roberts, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 43 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,370
Posts18,527,370
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.