Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Guys, I've got a Ruger P944 .40 that I've had for about 4 months. I read up and bought some 165gr. Golden Sabers to use in it. The problem I have is that I've shot numerous rounds into 5 gallon jugs filled with a wet sandy concoction to see how the bullet performs. The ranges were from 10-25yds. and every single bullet has shed the "brass flower petal" jacket and the lead core has not expanded at all. I figure if this happens at this distances it surely will at close range. Also, I've heard the Golden Sabers were top notch and passed all Law Enforcement test. Anyway, can anyone help me with this matter. One more question I have is about the Speer Gold Dots. I've got a .45 that I've shot the 230gr. GD's out of into the same 5 gallon buckets that have performed flawlessly. Perfect mushroom and still a lot of mass. Do yall think the 155gr. or 180gr. Gold Dots would perfom similarly in the .40 as the .45 and which weight would yall recommend. Also, I checked Speers website and cannot find any ballistics info. on the Gold Dots any help will be greatly appreciated........GH

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greenhead, I will attempt to help? The limited knowledge about what is happening is only a guess. The tests are not really an accurate measure of what it will do to human flesh, bone, or clothing, or other obstacles. If you are not confident in this ammo I would switch. For the 40 caliber I would suggest bullet weights in the 135, 155, range possibly the 165. I would look into Corbons Or Gold Dots, Federal Hydrashocks or even stay with the golden sabers. What is issued to the police departments is not always the best. I truly believe that even the best ammo will fail! I am with you I want the best ammo but with handguns it is hard to tell how they will act and the circumstances that are present. In that case it is up to you to improvise in that moment when your life is on the line. Most people will not have the mindset to keep attacking even if hit with a non fatal wound. I am not saying leave that to chance I am saying that the percentage is so high that it is unlikely even for most police officers. Just Remember shot placement is key and that you will have to account for all bullets fired! I believe 180 grain are to heavy and will shoot through a human and hit an innocent. I do not know your situation, so write back and I will attempt to help you further.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think most any jacketed bullet would fail in that tough of a medium.<P>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Greenhead,<BR>Your test media is too dense and inconsistent for a realistic evaluation.<BR>Try a "Baffle box" using quart ziplock bags of water,lined up in a row.<BR>There is a formulae that converts depth of penetration in water to that of Human flesh.<BR>It ain't perfect but close.<BR>Head over to Evan Marshalls site,or the IWBA site for some serious banter on such matters.<BR>If it helps,the Gold dots come highly reccomended to me by a man that is in the field.He also has had good results with the new Fed. EFMJ(Expanding full metal Jacket" ammo but lacks actual 1st shot stop data to give it full creedence.<BR>For concealed carry try the Fed "Personal defence" loading,as it was designed for use by citizens that do NOT have the spectre of shooting through car doors and windshields as a consideration.Just light to Med. clothing.<BR>Just make sure whatever ya choose cycles your Ruger reliably,and if you must use the thing,consider the possible secondary targets.<BR>I'll go retreive a few sites for ya to check out.I hope this helps.<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GreenHead,<BR>Try: <A HREF="http://www.evanmarshall.com" TARGET=_blank>www.evanmarshall.com</A> <A HREF="http://www.Kramerleather.com" TARGET=_blank>www.Kramerleather.com</A> <BR>If ya need more lemme know.There are a few other sites that keep good solid scientific data to support their theory's,but due to a recent computer *&(%$#$@! crash I lost all my bookmarks and addy's.<BR>Also...if it helps,I keep Win.SXT's in my G30 and 1911's,and silvertips in the wifes P32.My bud in RSA keeps Hydrashoks in his .40,and swears by them.He's seen his share of shootings and is a good judge of such matters.<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 54 invisible), 3,339 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,794
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.