Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had a Smith Mountain gun for a few years now, that came with Pachmyr grips. Having a small hand , they are way too big for me. Any reccomendations for a smaller set of grips. This is an N frame , round butt. Dillion has a pair, but I'm reluctant to just order a set until I find someone that has tried them or can handle some.<P>thanks

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Saddlesore- My neighbor has two S&W mountain guns, one in 44 mag and the other in 45 ACP. I believe the 45 has Hogue grips and the 44 has Pachmyr grips. The Hogue look bigger because of the length but the grip may be ok.<BR>Packmyr makes several models of grips, another model might work. Good luck finding what you need. Bob

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm not familiar with the Pachmayr grips on the S&W. But I can say this: nothing makes a light .44 shoot more comfortably than the rubber, finger-groove Hogues. I've tried several different types of smooth wood grips on 4" and 5" 629's, and they all give you a good buzz when you shoot these kickers. It's not just rearward recoil, but a vibration that eventually starts to sting. The Hogues seem to absorb this. You hardly notice it. -al

I've got a couple revolvers with hogue monogrips and i think they are superb. You can probably try one out for size at any local gun shop that sells them.

"problems can't be solved with the same degree of awareness that created them"

-author unknown
p.s. one of the hogue monogrips i have is on a S&W model 10 and the grip is longer than standard grips [extending past the end of the grip frame] but otherwise compact and has finger grooves. The rubber is durable, comfortable and protective- i think it's great.

-author unknown
IC B2

D-OH! i forgot to say the model 10 has a round-butt grip frame [the reason i mentioned it specifically]. I guess i'm brain-dead today.

-author unknown
S
S
I'd also like to recommend the Hogue Monogrip with the finger grooves. I have them on my N-frame square butt. I have medium size hands, and I find it easy to wrap my fingers around the grip. I'm sure it would fit with smaller hands, as well. I ordered a set of Pachmayr grips at the same time, and was sorely disappointed in the fit and finish. The Hogues fit the frame tight and are comfortable for me to hold.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I have the Hogue mono grips on it now. They stick down past the butt about 3/4" +. Trouble is with the 3 5/8" barrel it balances about like a rock on a willow stick. You have all this mass toward the back and the little barrel sticking out. Most of my carrying is on mule back and these grips stick out two far for comfort.<P>To shoot effectively, the web of your hand needs to be at the top of the backstrap and mine ends up about 3'4 inch low.<P>I use to shoot a lot of action pistol , but elbow surgery put a stop to that, So I'm use to shooting a lot, but have had to scale down to 38's. I was thinking a set of wood grips in the boot designs would carry better.I could stand the sting/recoil as when and if I need it, I won't be worrying about that. I like the double action over a Ruger Vaquero because it's one less thing to thing about in a stress situation. Twice I have had bears within 5 feet of me and one was inside a tent.The sows aren't so bad, but these black bear boars want to eat you. Hence my desire to carry the 44. Second, I tried to pack out a bear this year and thought I was going to have to shoot my mule just to get off him even before we got within 10 yards of the bear. And this is a darn good mule.<P>So that's why I was asking about the smaller grips. I have been down the road with all the pachmayr and hogue grips on a lot of differnt handguns. If they fit, I like them, just not on this gun.<P>Saddlesore

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44mc, 1936M71, AlanF, admin, 7887mm08, 9 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,702
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.