Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BCBC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hello Everyone,

First post ever on an internet forum - I�ve been a casual visitor here for a couple of years and have to say, �thanks� to anyone that I have taken advice from over that time.

So, I�m posting looking for some help. I�m originally from eastern Canada where I grew up hunting grouse, rabbit and whitetail. I grew up shooting .22LR by the thousand and hunting with a 20gauge and an old 30-30, both family guns from around the turn of the century (20th century, that is). Three years ago, I moved to southern British Columbia where my wife is from. A great move, thus far. When I came to BC, I was in the market for a new rifle for a couple of reasons. First was to reduce the miles put on the old 30-30 (I�d like to hand it off to my son down the road) and the second was that a bunch of co-workers and in-law family insisted I needed more gun for hunting out here. So, at the end of the day, I found a Model 700 in 7mmMag and bought it. The past two years, I�ve put about 250 rounds a year through it and quite like the gun. I enjoy the range but much prefer being out there in the bush. I�ve hunted elk, mulie and white tail the past two seasons and I backpack hunt primarily well into vehicle road closure areas and am either packing in on a mountain bike or by foot. Each of the past two seasons, I�ve managed to get out for two week long hunts plus in the bush about every second weekend. (had a baby in Dec. 09 so that may come down a bit�)

My problem is two fold. First, the 7mm is capable of carrying energy well beyond the distance that I am able to reliably shoot it. The longest shot I would consider on an animal is 250 yards. I don�t shoot enough to be comfortable past that. Longest shot ever at an animal has been approximately 150 yards. Second, the gun is long, heavy and loud. Covering miles in the hills for days at a time, I notice the gun; it is also difficult to pack.

In my travels around here, I have found a lot of reference to �mountain rifles� which is what I am looking for. NULA has come up a few times and in other research seems to be a top shelf piece of equipment. I made a couple of calls to NULA, as well as Canadian customs to work out lead times and import details and am about ready to commit.

I plan on keeping the 7mm.

Here�s where I need the help. I�ve shot and hunted a fair bit but really don�t know too much about guns and ordering an expensive custom rifle, I want to be sure on what I am specifying.

As for caliber, I�m fairly settled on .308win. That�s the cartridge my dad and uncle always ran and seems to have ballistics consistent with what I will be using it for. I do not reload. I�m thinking a SS barrel in a matte black stock. Questions I have are: barrel length? barrel contour? Trigger (Jewell or Timney)? And some advice on a fixed zoom (4x) scope? I�m also open to other words of wisdom, suggestions or opinions�

Thanks in advance

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hi BCBC
To make it quick, if a NULA, #1 or #2 contour, SS, at 22 inches & a Timney. Or look at a Kimber 84 montana or the original style Remington Ti ( ADL ). If you want to keep it as light as possible, go with the fixed 4x from leupold. For about 2 more ounces go with the Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36. JMHO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Melvin Forbes, owner of NULA, can answer any and all of your questions.

For the .308 Win a 22" barrel would be a fine length in a standard Mtn rifle contour . If you want SS get it but be aware that the action is CM. The standard Timney trigger is fine.

Any particular reason you want a fixed power scope?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn... Are you my long lost cousin?

My "other brother from another mother?"

"Other sister from another mister??"

I can find no flaws in your logic or reasoning. My primary Big Game rifle is a Kimber Montana in 308, with a fixed 4 Leupold, and Talley Lightweights. Even with a turner 1903 sling, its right at 7 Lbs ready to hunt. If I had the coin for a NULA I'd have one... My only gripes about the NULA is, it isn't control round feed (CRF DOES feed slicker when tuned up than any push-feed) Gripe 2, Mel uses Douglass barrels (so order the XX air gauged "match" one and be prepared to break one in for a while) Gripe 3, Mel insists on full length bedding his guns. If you use a sling to shoot, this will cause a zero shift. A FL bedded gun may put more different loads into the same zero, but a free floater will hold the same zero in any shooting scenario.

My Babies....
[Linked Image]

About the only thing I'd have to think about is.... 308 or 30-06??? The new LA Kimbers should be on the scene soon, and you can get a NULA in either, as well as 1st gen 700 Ti's. Either caliber should handle your big game needs, and the 30-06 really does have a skosh Mo' Stomp. Truthfully, I think the 7 mag and 30-06 kill schitt pretty much the same. The 308 might let them walk a few steps before they tip over wink

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
B
BCBC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for the quick replies!

Sorry if that post was a bit long and wandering. I'm basically looking for reasurance that dumping $3k into a rifle is a good idea.

I think the guy I was talking to was Melvin. Absolutely helpful and he seems super knowledgeable! The problem is is that he knows infinitely more than me so I came back here looking for some advice so that I don�t sound like a total rookie next time I call.

Dan, thanks for that info regarding the NULA's. I've got some more researching to do...

No real reason for fixed glass other than I don't think I have ever adjusted my 3-9... Less moving parts? A bit lighter?

Thanks again!

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Welcome to the 'Fire, (BC)-squared!

I don't know from NULA's, but there are many folks here who can help. FWIW, the Guide Outfitter I hunt with in the East Kutenays usually carries a 700 Mtn LSS in .30-'06 with a 2-7x Bushnell 3200.

As for 4x's, I'd suggest checking into the Conquest 4x32 and the IOR 4x. They'll both be heavier than the Leupold FXII 4x scope, but you'll be getting a much-upgraded view through the scope. I'd also recommend Talley Lightweights for whatever scope you decide on.

Take Care,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
if you want to spend 3k (or something less), by all means consider a nula. but there are many, many more rifles out there that will meet your needs for less money. you can find reliability for years to come in a s/s savage, ruger, kimber, rem 700, win m70 ew, tikka, and a host of others. a 22" 308 s/s is a "common" combo. a 4x scope would be a good fit unless you are a variable man. 2x7 or 3x9 would also work well.

but, if this is going to be your primary hunting rifle, i'd sure put one to my shoulder before i dropped the coin. some rifles fit some people. not all rifles will be to your liking (in fit/feel), that includes the top end ones. try it before you buy it!

S
S
Forget NULA; get a Kimber or a old (original) model Rem 700 Ti & save yourself a grand or more.

Not the prestige of the NULA, but both a way more than adequate & are top shelf guns & all weigh about the same.

SW28

B
BCBC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by hotsoup
but, if this is going to be your primary hunting rifle, i'd sure put one to my shoulder before i dropped the coin. some rifles fit some people. not all rifles will be to your liking (in fit/feel), that includes the top end ones. try it before you buy it!

hotsoup - great advice. Thanks!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Rem Ti old version 7/08 or 308 put a Mcmillan edge stock on it would work also. NULA are very nice also. IMHO

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talk to Rod or Tim in Dawson Creek..
www.rockymountainrifles.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
FWIW, the Guide Outfitter I hunt with in the East Kutenays usually carries a 700 Mtn LSS in .30-'06 with a 2-7x Bushnell 3200.

As for 4x's, I'd suggest checking into the Conquest 4x32 and the IOR 4x. They'll both be heavier than the Leupold FXII 4x scope, but you'll be getting a much-upgraded view through the scope. I'd also recommend Talley Lightweights for whatever scope you decide on.

Take Care,

FC

Its spelled Kootenai, and pronounced Kooney smile

Now the Loopy, Vs Zeiss and IOR is debatable. Can you bounce your non-Loopy 4x scoped rifle off a concrete slab 3 times and do this afterwards?
[Linked Image]

the 1/2" shift to the left was why I bought Talleys for it. The following ground tuning sessions proved that the Kimber/Talley/Loopy FXII 4x is the rifle equivelent of...
[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'll take your word on the spelling. I've seen it spelled more different ways than Khadaffi, or Gahdahffi, or Q'dufi... aw hell, you know, that jackass in Libya!

I haven't thrashed my 4x's too thoroughly yet, though I did retrieve up my 3-9 Conquest from under the hooves of a pack horse a few years back. No shift in POI (to the left, or otherwise laugh ). That one was in Leupold DD's, but I've joined you in the switch to Talleys.

No flies on the FXII, to be sure. Word on the trail, though, seems to be that the Conquests can hang.

What rig is your 4x riding on?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
About ten years ago, My model 7 got blown off the outside rack by a strong wind,landed on the slate deck,(about 4'), bent the eyepiece and scallopped a piece of glass out of the lense. The Leopold Compact held it's point of aim,secured by Conetrol bases and rings. I continued to hunt with it. After season, Leupold honored their warrantee and repaired it. The scope was about 10 yrs. old. I beleive I had to pay the shipping,only. It pays to buy Quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well you are going to forget about what the NULA cost in about three shots. They are worth the money. And you can't go wrong with a fixed 4 x Ziess Conquest or if you are in funds a S+B. As for the cartridge, 308 is fine.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 308Win is a fine round!

I like that idea on the NULA. Go for it!

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCBC
Questions I have are: barrel length? barrel contour? Trigger (Jewell or Timney)? And some advice on a fixed zoom (4x) scope? I�m also open to other words of wisdom, suggestions or opinions�

Thanks in advance

22" is my preferred length on the 308Win, but I cant see why a 20" tube couldn't be just as sweet, maybe even sweeter?(shorter & very handy. Especially if it's a NULA. Balanced & built for such), 1#(I prefer the lightest barrel # that can be had, with AO balance. Heard NULA's are superb here) for a mountain rifle. Not really a fan of fixed scopes myself, but 4 or 6 should be ideal. How about a VX11 2-7x33, VX3 1.75-6x32 or 2.5-8x36 wink . Love the stainless barrel idea too. Now that's a rifle a man can grow old with & be proud!

Last edited by 340Wby; 03/05/10.

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't fault your thinking in the least on the Nula. If it fits you, you can't go wrong if you can afford to go that route.

If money is or becomes a concern, a Montana 308 would be a wonderful choice, as well. I don't have one in 308, but do in 7-08 and 243, and it is difficult for me to envision liking a rifle better than I like these two.

You could go Montana and a 6x or 2-8 Leupy and pick up a used pair of Ultravids or Zeiss FL's for around NULA money, I think. You could probably go used on the Kimber and the Leupy's as well, and save even more. Just a thought if you're trying to make the $$'s go a little further.

DJ

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Sidewinder28
Forget NULA; get a Kimber or a old (original) model Rem 700 Ti & save yourself a grand or more.

Not the prestige of the NULA, but both a way more than adequate & are top shelf guns & all weigh about the same.

SW28

Ditto. My kimber 308 montana has become my favorite rifle to carry in the woods. Very light, very accurate and launches 150 grain factory federal ammo at 2840 fps with 1" or less groups. I have an '06 and a WSM but when it comes to carrying with a tree stand on my back or hiking the hills of Alabama, I'll take the lightweight montana any day for anything under 300 yards. Best of all, I got it used for about $850 here in the classifieds.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think you have it pretty well dialed in on choice. I always wanted a NULA and wish I had taken the plunge sooner. Now some 30 rifles later I still want a NULA, it's about time I get one.

The Mt. Biking and back pack hunting scenarios make the NULA a front runner. Tikkas, Kimbers, Rem. Mt. rifles all are close but the NULA still seems in my mind the front runner of all.

My only thought that would change things is Brown Bear, either hunting of fending off a carcass, possibly your own. If this is a consideration I would bump up to the 30-06 for the use of 200 grain bullets. Otherwise the 308 is about perfect.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 56 invisible), 10,041 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,354
Posts18,546,734
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.