Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JMac Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was wondering how the Springfield Armory, et. al. clones compare to the original Colt as far as quality, machining and materials.<P>I've owned several 45 Autos over the years but they have all been Colts.<P>How about the Para-Ordnance or Springfield high(er) capacity guns?<P>Any suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
JMac, I can compare the old Colts to the Para-Ordinance P14-45. They are very different to me. I loved the Colt Goldcup and the Government models, smooth reliable, very easy to handle. Until one day, the Hi-cap Para-Ordinance came along. They're noticable wider grips are too big for some to handle comfortably. I love it. My brother owns one, I can't wait for my own. <P>It is reliable and consistant. The Kimbers and Sigs have a reputation for better accuracy, but Kimbers aren't as simple to field strip. May be that I'm quirky, but I want a weapon that is easy to handle at the range and when I get home. Colt and Para are better shooters than I am anyway. <P>Still, the (Colts) oldies but goodies, are just that. I hope you can have both!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a Kimber Custom a week ago and it seems to be a good gun (have about 300 rds through it now). I owned a Series 70 Colt that was a better gun I think but it had been 'smithed pretty good. The SA's that I have looked at have been good guns but personally a two-piece barrel would have to go. SA seems to be having problems (maybe not that many) with cracking slides on Stainless guns but they are backing them so that speaks for the company.<BR>As far as one of Kent's comments about a Kimber being harder to field strip I have to disagree. A full length guide rod can be replaced but all you have to do is put a bushing wrench (which comes with it) on the busshing, turn the bushing clockwise, remove plug and spring, then go from there as normal. It takes no time at all. Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I liked the P14 from Para so wellI got another after my wife confiscated it. Then I got one for carry. All three have been very top notch. While I don't know about Kimbers or S.A. I suspect they would also be keepers. By the way my wife is all of 5ft nothing and 100lbs. She truly loves my (uh I mean hers) Para.My cousin has a 9mm Star and she says it has to much recoil for her tastes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JMac,<BR> I think the Kimbers are about the best out of the box guns going in the $5-700 range. That said I only own Colts. Regards, Matt.<P>Btw, you can take a look at a Custom that Apex Tactical built for me at <A HREF="http://www.apextactical.com" TARGET=_blank>www.apextactical.com</A> under 1911 Custom.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B2

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jmac,<BR>I used to build 5-15 1911's a year for customers interested in accuracy and reliability for carry,and limited class IPSC.<BR>Then came Kimber,and it was all over.<BR>Colt made rightous,good solid 1911's untill the 80 series pistols were shoved down the throat of 1911 fans.<BR>Colt sold out for the profit margin,and only those exposed to accurized series 70's knew the difference.<BR>Springfield does OK with their basic slide and frames but god is in the details,and on those Springfield lacks the finesse of Kimber,Wilson and Para.<BR>The 1991a1 is a budget set up with lots of tolerance issues.They work OK with ball,but accuracy,and reliability is lacking,and they make use of lots of plastic parts that are a concession to cost.<BR>Starting with a series 70 that is tweaked and accurized the result is what Kimber delivers OUT OF the BOX!<BR>Wilson and Les Baer take it one step further,by hand fitting all the parts to insure 100% reliability and durability.<BR>Wilson uses frames and slides made by Jericho which is in fact the company Kimber owns and supplies Kimber with frames and slides.<BR>I actually bought a Kimber Gold match for competition rather than building my own,and came up money and time ahead.Fitting a Series 70 to the standards Kimber delivers takes time and money,and in the end it is very difficult to acheive those tolerences and get reliability.<BR>My faithful 1911 is a 1936 Colt MAU-SOC configuration 1911a1 that was initially tweaked by Mgsgt.Ontoveros.It's sloppy when compared to the Kimbers,and nowhere near as accurate.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got both the Kimber Custom SS Target, not the match pistol, and a Series 70 Colt. The stock Colt will shoot about 5 MOA. But with one load only. And that one took a long time to find. The Kimber shoots 4-5 different bullet/load combinations into 4-5 MOA @ 25 yds. Easy to find accurate loads for that one. The trigger is unbelieveable. I have no idea how good the match guns are, but I can't imagine anything better. E

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
LoneEagle, thank you for the kind dissagreement. I don't own a Kimber, so you would know better. Considering that my car keys are around here somewhere (grin), I would prefer to strip a weapon without needing tools. <P>Still, I'm unaware of any Kimber owners that are unhappy with its performance.

JMac Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies!<BR>Sounds like the Kimber will be worth a look. <BR>Its been a few years since I went through my handgun stage [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] but I have had a Government Model, a Lightweight Commander, a couple of regular Commanders and a Delta Elite and all except the Delta and the last Commander have went down the trading trail without a second thought.<BR>The Delta I miss and rather wish I had back and the Commander, my wife carries when she goes into civilization. I'm looking for something that will be a keeper for myself. The Colts (except for the Government Model) have all been reliable and always fed, fired and extracted but none were anywhere near accurate enough for me to keep. <BR>So, thanks again and I'll take a look at a Kimber, Joe.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1234, 2500HD, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,238 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,829
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.