Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by levrluvr

I see Klein tools in this area in Home Depots now. They also supply the Farm & Fleet stores in the area.
Most of these tool companies sign limited time contracts with these huge retailers, and when they come to maturity, the retailers often place demands on the tool company price-wise that makes it no longer profitable to do business with them. I would imagine Lowes pulled this with Klein, hence the switch.

I was aware of the practice these huge corporate outfits use today. It's amazing that they are so powerful that they dictate the price they pay for products from manufactures.
I seldom support them, with the option of online shopping from smaller merchants who needs to support such companies.

The sad thing is, many do and the end result is often a drop in product quality and/or contracting there manufacturing out to some third world country to try and compete.

Hats off to Klein for not conforming if that was their situation.

I don't think many consumers realize that they are totally in control and dictating the market and our economy by where they are spending.
That nickel cheaper chain store scenario is destroying us and people just seem to flock to them mindlessly to spend their money. This often gives their American dollars a one way flight out of the country and shuts the doors of more quality American businesses every day.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I doubt Klein or any other corporation would volunteer to pay taxes. They probably still own the property. Or they have a lease or stock interest in it.

Last edited by chadwimc; 03/05/10.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chadwimc
I doubt Klein or any other corporation would volunteer to pay taxes. They probably still own the property. Or they have a lease or stock interest in it.

I don't get what you're saying. They probably do still have some interest. Ultimately, they may have ulterior motives for doing this. The fact remains however, that they just injected $200,000 into the local economy, most of which, if I'm not mistaken, the school will get. If they have plans for the property, great. So much the better as long as it's not a storage facility for nuclear waste or a prison, two industries that the assclowns we call "politicians" in this state love to court. My wife's aunt is the treasurer and according to her, evidently Klein didn't even owe some of this. At any rate, good news.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Klein is my goto brand as far as electrical handtools. I do have some Greenlee stuff, but only because I couldn't find what I needed at the supply house. I try to buy all my tools where I get my wire and parts.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Good song, but it's about phone linemen. They only climb up about 20' and so aren't real linemen. They do their best work off an extension ladder. whistle

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I figured somebody would have jumped on that by now! Guess they know I'm kidding...darn it.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Love my Klein tin snips..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Fun and hijinks ensued with another tool manufacturer making a rather innovative hammer

Man,...exactly how "innovative" can a fuggin' hammer be?

Basically,.. a hammer is a stick with a knot hooked onto the end of it.

You can put enny damn kind of knot own it that ya want to and only a homo erectus would consider it "innovative",...and only a dumbazz homo erectus at *that*.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I mean,...

"Sheeeeit!,...look at the knot that sumbitch done put own that stick! That's downright "innovative!,..that is!"

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
,..the caveman who engineered the knot be standin' up on a big ass rock,... wearin' a bearskin breechcloth,......talkin' bout,..

"Form a line!,...form a line!,..no shoving,..there's plenty of my knots on a stick ta go around!"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Bristoe],..the caveman who engineered the knot be standin' up on a big ass rock,... wearin' a bearskin breechcloth,......talkin' bout,..

"Form a line!,...form a line!,..no shoving,..there's plenty of my knots on a stick ta go around!" [/quote

obviously you don't have any idea how many types of hammers vthere are in this world DUMB ARSE CAT they range from a few ounces to over a ton.
they have many uses one of which is hitting DUMB ARSE CATS OVER THE HEAD TILL EXTINGUSHED grin grin grin grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BB

I hired out in 1967 for an apprentice lineman. I was a groundman for two months, but had to furnish my own tools. I went to a local hardware store and bought an 8" pair of lineman's pliers, a good 6" square shank screwdriver, and a 22oz Plumb Fiberglass hammer. I proudly carried these new tools to work, and was laughed at. You have to have a pair of 9" Kliens. You can't run a rope over a square shank screwdriver. But I carried that fiberglass hammer for 32yrs. And it ain't pretty anymore, but it would still drive a 3/8 lag with two hands. I humped some 115-120' poles, but I never liked it. I'm really afraid of heights. Sometimes you just gotta do what you just gotta do. Good luck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You had me laughing before I got to the second tool! We used to have guys show up with all kinds of home craftsman tools---me too, when I started---just as proud as punch. I believe I tried to start out with 8" off-brand pliers, too.
I remember when I found out what kind of a hammer was needed and went and asked for a 32 oz Vaughan (sp). The clerk said, "Boy, you guys are MEAN!" Still makes me laugh, but we needed that for 4" lags. Wrenches were another lesson..some 12" wrenches only opened as wide as some other 8 or 10" ones did.
It pays to spend the money and get the best in handtools when you make your living with them, and Klein never disappointed us.

I climbed a few---just a few---100 to 120 foot poles, but I never did it enough to get used to it. I could get used to the height, but I never got used to the cracks and rotten surface wood on those tall cedar poles, and as a apprentice, I had to climb the old ones. I can still remember burying my 1 5/8"gaffs into a crack or rotten wood clear to the side of my boot and not stabbing any wood, and that I didn't like. Once you got some good wood to stand on, you're afraid to move. grin
"Just squeeze your belt together with your hands if you kick out, and you'll quit falling" didn't reassure me all that much.
Oh what fun. crazy

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 03/06/10.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always filed an extra groove in my 10" Crescent wrench so it would open as wide as a 12". I would cut the rib out of the other end and weld the 3/4" end of a ratcheting wrench into it. The ratchet wrench was handy and made the wrench a little longer, but lighter to carry on my belt than a 12". The 5/8" end of a gear wrench was near useless to a lineman. Sorry about hogging your post Cole. As you know, I am very familiar with the old Klein plant in your area. I know what they meant to your community. Klein pliers were my most used working tool.

Last edited by croldfort; 03/06/10.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kleins were so well known and universally accepted that we didn't refer to them as pliers, we just called them kleins. They made all kinds of tools, but "gimme your kleins" meant gimme your pliers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 54 invisible), 3,380 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,794
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.