Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
[quote=99guy] I have also seen a 8 chambered in 23-35. Have seen 81s in 300 Savage. Always thought that 81 in 300 Savage would make a dandy hunting rifel.

That would be 25-35 REM and would have been the original name for the 25 Remington, the original name for the 30 Remignton was 30-30 Remington and you will find very early Model 8's stamped that way also.

Gene
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Gene.

Was just about to clear that up, but you beat me to it. grin

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The model 8 & 81 are probably the best quality and most reliable semi-auto sporting rifles ever made. As a former gunsmith, when someone brought in a semi-auto sporting rifle for repair, I just pointed to the door because I always lost money working on those POS semi-autos. Model 8 & 81 rifles almost never came in because they didn�t work, but for various other repairs. I came to admire the design and picked up a nearly pristine 81 in .300 Savage.

Most people probably don't know that John Browning designed the model 8.

Will there ever be another gun genius of his caliber? Doubtful

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It has the Browning Patents stamped on the gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

John:

I see you are "John Moses" and he was "John Moses Browning."

Is that just like a really wild and scary coincidence of is there something more to the story you would like to share? smile

Randy

~Admiral Yamamoto~

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeneB
[quote=99guy] I have also seen a 8 chambered in 23-35. Have seen 81s in 300 Savage. Always thought that 81 in 300 Savage would make a dandy hunting rifel.

That would be 25-35 REM and would have been the original name for the 25 Remington, the original name for the 30 Remignton was 30-30 Remington and you will find very early Model 8's stamped that way also.

Thank you for the clarification.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 99guy

John:

Is that just like a really wild and scary coincidence of is there something more to the story you would like to share? smile

Randy

My great grand daddy was one of his illegitmate morman babies, who fell out of the wagon during the migration out west. The next day, he was found by some cowboys on a drive and lived in a saddle bag until he was 8.

He got too big for the saddle bag and moved to Mississippi to become a Steamboat Captain at the age of 9. With the outbreak of WWI, he went and got one of his daddy's machine guns and killed 40,000 of the enemy, in one afternoon..

He moved back and got married and every son named his son John Moses, all the way down to me.
grin
JM wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
JohnMoses,

The Winchester 1905 fired a different cartridge than the 35 Remington. It was call 351 SL, or self-loading. It was a straight-walled cartridge that looked a lot like a scaled-up 30 caliber US carbine. The 1905 rifle was a straight blowback design and is not strong enough to handle the more powerful 35 Remington round.

as stated in post before yours by 260 the 1905 was not a 351 wsl (whinchester self loading)

1903 is a .22 auto loader
1905 is 32 or 35 wsl
1907 is 351 wsl
1910 is the 401 wsl
1911 is a 12ga auto loader with the nickname (widowmaker)

i own and shoot all but the 1903 haven't acquired on yet

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got shoot my uncles Winchester in 351SL for a couple months before my cousins had me ship it to them. A very fun gun, he had taken many blacktail deer with it.

I love the 35Remington cartridge, but did not really know if the 8's and 81's were reliable. Though I do know they were popular with LE, as was the Winchester too.

I saw one in 30 Remington the other day foe $500.00 Imight have bought it if it was a 35.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy

John:

Randy

My great grand daddy was one of his illegitmate morman babies, who fell out of the wagon during the migration out west. The next day, he was found by some cowboys on a drive and lived in a saddle bag until he was 8.

He got too big for the saddle bag and moved to Mississippi to become a Steamboat Captain at the age fo 9. With the outbreak of WWI, he went and got one of his daddy's machine guns and killed 40,000 of the enemy, in one afternoon..

He moved back and got married and every son named his son John Moses, all the way down to me.
grin
JM

I knew there had to be more to the story than you were tellin' grin

~Admiral Yamamoto~

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

He got too big for the saddle bag and moved to Mississippi to become a Steamboat Captain at the age of 9. With the outbreak of WWI, he went and got one of his daddy's machine guns and killed 40,000 of the enemy, in one afternoon..

grin
JM wink

Totally tasteless, politically incorrect, and hilarious all at the same time. I like it!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never thought it bad to make a harmless joke about our religions or national origins. It's a pastime in the South.

I get dogged all the time for being Catholic. As long as it's in good fun and not mean spirited there is alot of good humor in those two things.

Best,

JM.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe some of the police officers who ambushed
Bonnie & Clyde were armed with Remington Model 8s
in .35 Remington.

D
D
here is a link for a semi auto that few knew about, i have only ever seen two of them one was at gun show, the other my son owns.
https://www.msu.edu/~muell132/StandardArms.ht

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Remington Model 8 a lot - I've owned four over the years - great guns - the only one I have left is one in 30 Remington.

My Remington:

[Linked Image]

However, I love the 1907 Winchester in 351sl - I've got two - a stock 1907 with real nice wood and a "Lebman" 1907 like Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, Homer Van Meter used back in the day with a custom comp and a vertical forearm. I had the latter created after seeing Public Enemies movie and learning that two modifoed 1907s just like this were recovered when Dillinger was captured in Tucson AZ in January 1934 (he later escaped after being transfered back to Indiana). With factory 5 or 10 round mags these are the most reliable guns I have.

My 1907s:

[Linked Image]

Artsy fartsy ode to motorized bandits circa 1933-1934 with the Lebman 1907, ca. 1925 Government 45 and other accoutrements

[Linked Image]

It ain't like it used to be but it'll do.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage2005
Those 8's and 81's look BEEFY

Looks are NOT deceiving in this case.

The barrel has a spring wound around it, and is covered by a sheet metal tube.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Also, the 35 Rem Model 8s just kicked the heck out of me - I had one without a pad that would visibly bruise my shoulder every time I shot it.

It ain't like it used to be but it'll do.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
I believe some of the police officers who ambushed
Bonnie & Clyde were armed with Remington Model 8s
in .35 Remington.

By most accounts there were 2 model 8s at the famous gunfight. Frank Hammer's 35rem and Prentis Oakley's 30rem which he borrowed from a dentist friend of his. By most accounts Prentis Oakley who was know to be an excellent marksman fired the very first shot of the "battle" straight through Clyde's brain. In fact the autopsy found a bullet hole just in front of Clyde's left ear exiting near his right ear. Wasn't much of a fight after that. The next 130 rounds were fired to make sure 95lb Bonnie didn't hurt anybody I guess. But I guess you can't blame them guys...why take a chance?

Edit: Here is an interesting link, if you are interested in this kind of stuff

http://texashideout.tripod.com/bc.htm

Last edited by 99guy; 03/13/10.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.