Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I just got my CRKT Alaska Pro Hunter in the mail and it has an open ended sheath.

Question is, how do you all secure your knives while hunting? (It's got a hole in the handle at the end)... Rope? Leather? Other ideas?

Pictures would be helpful too..

Sorry for the new guy / stupid question, but I'll be thankful the first time it keeps this knife (the replacement) with me!!!!

Remember: SAFETY FIRST................................................................................................then pull the trigger smile
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Backpack

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Otherwise if it IS on the belt I make damn sure I have a tight fitting sheath that buries up to 3/4's of the handle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a number of knives in pouch style sheaths. Never lost one yet.

Sam......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lost ain't a concern, busting your ass and have said knife come out and go places it shouldn't or it pushing through thin/cheap leather sheath IS a concern.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if one buys cheap/thin leather to carry a knife, then one must assume that bad things can/will happen during an untoward event. smile

I buy quality, well made leather, and have not had any problems with retention.

I can supply you with a list of leather craftsmen if that resource is needed.

Sam......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't need it, but it's a consideration towards the OP.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Cummins,
post a pic. Some of these pouch sheaths can have a retaining ridge wet formed above the guard to hold the knife in tighter.

If it's Chugach Range model, that is a pretty knife!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I carry a 4" knife on my belt for big game. It is a Gerber Gator Drop Point S30V. It is in a custom Kydex sheath. very tight.

I do not trust most factory sheaths at all and a sharp knife is looking to cut you. Yes, I've been cut. Worst experience involved poking a saddle horse when I was about 14 riding bareback.

Get a sheath with a positive keeper system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Backpack

+1

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
This is the knife (it is a Chugach Range Model and it is really very nice - my first nice knife - just $50) and it does fit in the sheath fairly tightly... It's actually the first knife I've bought so I'd like to be sure it stays around. The other knives I had were a free gift from North American Hunting Club...

http://www.crkt.com/Chugach-Alaska-Pro-Hunter-Leather-Sheath-Razor-Sharp-Edge

I have seen some knives with rope at the end of the handle and was wondering why and if this helped keep them aound longer....

Remember: SAFETY FIRST................................................................................................then pull the trigger smile
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Fanny Pack or Back Pack. I make Custom Knives and water fit every sheath for a tight fit. The only time a knife is on my side is when I'm fishing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dancing Bear did you end up walking? cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
D
D
If the knife has hole in the end and an open sheath at the handle - I have a similar designed knife from a different mfg. With the knife/sheath that goes on my belt. I put a lanyard of what ever material thru the hole in the handle and tie in a loop that is long enough to go up under my belt and back over across the top of the knife handle.
I also had a sheath made that has a snap with a swivel
near the top that enables me to unsnap and swivel the but of the handle so that is does not poke me in the ribs when sitting/driving. I had a local fellow make it that does leather work for a hobby for the last 20+ years. He designs the sheath around the object and according to your specifications/wants.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always carry a sheath knife in my pack. I made a light weight, positive locking pocket sheath for my current knife. I can see using a lanyard on a knife if I was cleaning off the back of a boat in cold weather but that's not something I do

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For those interested--

Eric Noeldechen at On Scene Tactical makes a nice hard sheath for knives and hand guns. He has a lot of models in stock so for many he can make a sheath without sending him the knife or gun.

JMHO
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 31 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.