-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You use so little Imperial that unless I shoot them within a day or so, I can't feel any residue. They feel dry and clean. If I feel the need, they tumble clean in a hour - but I seldom worry about it, to be honest.

If you have an aversion to shooting them as-is, an hour in corncob is all it takes.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Depending on what I am doing I use the Imperial on larger cases and case forming and Dillon spray lube cut 50% with 90% rubbing alcohol on the high volumne smaller cases. If you use the cut dillon lube, spray the cases,shake the container good and let dry in open air, then repeat. works very well on 223. Started out about 1970 with an old RCBS stamp pad and a bottle of Pacific lube that still is setting there if needed. I tumble the sized cases in very fine ground corncob to remove lube. The cob media I use is fine enough that it does not stick in the flash holes. Just my 2cents worth Russ

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It may sound goofy, but I have been using a hair conditioner called Blue Magic. Found it in the closeout bin at the drug store, 12oz for $2, Petrolatum, lanolin, lechithin(?), mineral oil, an some smell good. I use it on everything from 50BMG on down and haven't stuck a case yet. Finger applied as I pick up the cases, and it comes off in the tumbler quickly(5min) and doesnt seem to harm the media. The Beowulf and the 50AE(nickle) can be nasty to size, I've yet to lose one using the pommade goop, just leave the tub on the bench and dip in as needed.

I hardly ever use the Imperial unless its a radical forming operation, good stuff though, for the hard jobs. Never cared for the alcohol based stuff. Years ago, we used anhydrous lanolin in a comercial operation, It worked but was/is nasty to clean off.

NRA Benefactor
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Lecithin is an emulsifier. Its use is to insure that the water and oils (lanolin, petroleum jelly, etc.) do not phase separate.

There is something to be said for the water based stuff. I know I use the RCBS lube, but it requires more care. A bit of hydrocarbon, like that used in Imperial Wax or One Shot, makes it compatible with the powder. I would agree with the poster that recommended graphite for the necks and One Shot or Imperial Wax for the cases. From a chemical point of view, you won't have issues with the powders if a bit hangs around. Its also very easy to wipe off.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 03/05/10. Reason: commas, must use commas
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
when I want to remove excess oil i just wipe them down with rubbing alchol

It is better to have it and not need it , than to
need it and not have it ( by master gunsmith & very wise friend )
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would use 90% isopropanol. Available at WalMart (red label alcohol). Only a tad more expensive and will dry a bit sooner too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JStor
Another vote for Imperial Sizing Wax...a little goes a long way.

Been using the same can since the late 80's. But then I bought a couple more because I kept putting it in a safe place.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Hornady Unique is an almost-as-good alternative - and it's exactly the same stuff as Mink Oil. Use the same method: lightly swipe fingertips and handle cases.

I use the Unique as mentioned. I'd like to buy a new tub but I could probably load another 20000 rounds with what I have left. A little goes a long way. I wipe with a papertowel after I size. If I am really worried about it, I wipe with a little rubbing alcohol on the paper towel. I also use powdered graphite on the necks ( i dip the neck in the tub ). But mostly, I use collet dies and don't use any lube....

Tom

Last edited by tominboise; 03/06/10.

Regards,

Tom
D
D
New member, first post I think.

I use Hornady One Shot on the case and Mica inside the neck. Then into the tumbler for a quick cleanup.

Cases were already deprimed and polished (no primer) before sizing

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Originally Posted by DMB
...Imperial Sizing Die wax for case bodies, and powdered graphite for necks.

Nothing else compares.

I agree, a few years ago I was a having trouble with some brass and went to Imperial. I wondered why I never tried it before, great stuff.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've tried most of the stuff available. My choice is Imperial Sizing Die Wax. It works extremely well and is quite affordable. YMMV

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I've tried most of the stuff available. My choice is Imperial Sizing Die Wax. It works extremely well and is quite affordable. YMMV

Yep time to get rid of that greasy kid stuff and move on.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

If I want the loaded rounds perfectly clean, I use some degreaser on a rag to get all of the Imperial and powdered graphite off the cases before loading them.
Imperial is the answer...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Imperial Die Wax.

+1....best I've found...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I finally used up my first tin of Imperial. Might not be quite as fast as a spray but it is easy on brass.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm a spray-n-pray guy...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No doubt.....(grin)

Seriously though, I bet some of the hardcore varmint shooters load up ALOT of ammo!

Last edited by SamOlson; 03/09/10.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Halfmile: Imperial (now Redding?) Sizing Die Wax is the answer to your inquiry.
I will include a quote from an online handloader site:

Imperial Sizing Die Wax
Anyone that reloads should recognize this product. If you're not using Imperial Sizing Die Wax for your resizing lube . . . . you should be. I've recommended this product to hundreds of shooters, and out of all the shooters that have tried it, I have yet to hear from anyone that has ever switched back to any another resizing lubricant. I recommend it for use with our Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die, because it out-performs any other resizing lube that I've ever tried.

End quote.

I find NO motivation to ever again try another case lube - and believe me I have tried a lot of them in the past!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson
No doubt.....(grin)

Seriously though, I bet some of the hardcore varmint shooters load up ALOT of ammo!

Yep...exactly Sam...it cuts time for me when Im staring at 200 empty cases...and no Dillon...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Imperial, one shot, and dillons lube all work great.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,279 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.