Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree. Unmolested, and given the option, they'll run.

Aim for the exit hole.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having been raised on an Iowa farms where we, my Grandad and my future father-in-law all raised hogs, I have a healthy respect for them.

Some years back when I was living in Minnesota a friend had 5 that needed butchering and I was the designated shooter. Used a 16 guage with slugs. Hit the first one right between the eyes at a steep down angle and quickly discovered there is nothing immediately vital between that point and the throat where the slug exited. I thought Skip was going to get chewed before I could get another shot off. It was a very close thing and, in dark woods illuminated only by the headlights from Skip's far-off car , pretty surreal.

Ruger, what you did was prudent. You probably could have walked to your truck without incident, but no one will ever know for sure.

Two things ARE sure, however: 1) you did get out safely, and 2) the other possiblity was both real and possibly life changing or even life ending.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/07/10.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He probably just wanted someone to pet him....you big sissy!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Being in Hog capital most of my life, I can't tell you how many time's I have walked upon Hogs while they were asleep and yell BOO!

Lol. Man, you have nothing to worry about. Those stinky nasty Hogs are more scared of you than deer are.

Last edited by slg888; 03/07/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the funnier videos I've seen over the years..

Ol' Cletus goes in a pen after a wild pig:

http://www.huntingfootage.com/videos?ri=2428

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's great!

"Sumbitch is pizzed"

TFF!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
if you rub thier belly they will go to sleep... just like gators.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hunted hogs for many years behind dogs and did depredation. Somehow those hogs always seem to know the human is the threat and you will see a high percentage of charges in that situation.

Bowhunted them a lot also and never had one charge but they usually didn't know I was there. Its been my experience that they will run if given an avenue of escape

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They can be dangerous if cornered, just like most wild animals.

But on the whole, they are no more dangerous to hunt than squirrels.

If one gets you, you did something wrong.

JM

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
They can be dangerous if cornered, just like most wild animals.

But on the whole, they are no more dangerous to hunt than squirrels.

If one gets you, you did something wrong.

JM

That pretty well sums it up. I've had a few close calls over the years, but they mostly involved following up other people's wounded hogs, chasing them around armed only with a camera and similar foolish escapades. I know several long-time guides who weren't as fortunate, and they bear the scars to prove it. If you play with fire long enough... bottom line is you need to maintain a healthy respect for them. That's easier said than done if you hunt them all the time. Complacency sets in.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been bit by several squirrels over my lifetime.

One was a pet, the other I shot out of a tree, picked up and he bit the [bleep] out of me.

I am now more careful when picking them up. blush

If a hog does bite you or give you a pass with his tusks, chances are you will be going to the hospital. frown

JM

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Tryin' to picture John Moses bravely standing his ground and blazing away at a ferocious charging squirrel.

Death in the short grass? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I threw that sob up in the air as I was coming up with him when he lit into my thumb.

Then I was scared he would fall back on me.

It was funny schitt but it hurt too. cry

Those buck tooth [bleep] can bite.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There's gotta be a gerbel-like joke in there somewhere... but even I won't stoop that low...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that is a pastime of the turdlike organization. shocked

JM grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This may have been posted before, but here's the story from Georgial Outdoor News of the GA physician who made the mistake of taking hogs for granted.

Hog Attack!
This Jefferson County hog hunter lost 3 pints of blood after a boar repeatedly gored him with 4-inch tusks.

By Elizabeth Billips
Posted Wednesday July 29 2009, 3:35 PM

It was his last cartridge and his last hope. The 192-lb. wild boar had already gored Dr. Joseph �Larry� Jackson Sr. twice and had him right where it wanted him.

It had all happened in a whirlwind... the quick tremble of leaves in the thicket, the scrape of tusks and teeth against his rifle. Dr. Jackson chambered his last round, knowing a movement too quick would probably be his last. Blood was already puddling around him.

The hog locked its eyes on the downed physician and lowered its head to strike again.

The Fourth of July had actually started off nicely for the 64-year-old Waynesboro physician. It was just after sunrise when he and hunting buddy John �J.R.� Rountree spotted the big black hog inside a pasture at Old Town Plantation in Jefferson County.

Dr. Jackson took a 350-yard shot and heard the .243 bullet hit, but it missed the heart by an inch. The hog ran along a fence line and out of sight. J.R. went for the truck while Dr. Jackson took off through the pasture on foot.

Meanwhile, the bullet-hit hog was hunkered down in a thicket no bigger than a compact car. When the doctor came into sight, the boar charged Dr. Jackson.

�I fired from my hip and just missed,� Dr. Jackson recalled from the leather recliner in his living room. �He took my feet out from under me and was on top of me.�

The hog backed off and charged again, this time burying a tusk in the doctor�s arm. He used his Remington .243 as a club and managed to hold back the hog�s head as it drove into him again and again. A pair of binoculars blocked a blow to his gut.

�These saved me from having my belly ripped open,� he said, running a finger along scrapes above the lenses.

When the hog backed off again, he knew it was his last chance.

�I didn�t want to make any quick, sudden motions,� Dr. Jackson explained, remembering how the hog stared straight at him as he reloaded his rifle and eased the barrel around.

As the boar lowered his head to attack again, Dr. Jackson squeezed a point-blank shot into its chest.

�I never felt any pain, and I was never afraid,� he said. �I was just trying to fight for my life.�

As the boar went down, the doctor realized how badly he was hurt.

�I could see I was spurting blood, so I knew I had a problem,� he recalled.

He used his good hand to keep pressure on the gash until J.R. arrived with the truck.

�I lost 3 pints right there on the ground� another three minutes and I would have been dead.�

J.R. heard the shots but didn�t suspect trouble until he rounded the bend.

�J.R. knew something was wrong then,� Dr. Jackson said, noting the whole attack was over and done within minutes. �He said he�d never seen a hunter and hog on the ground at the same time.�

J.R. rushed Dr. Jackson to the emergency room in Jefferson County where they learned the hog�s tusk had severed the artery in his wrist and sliced through three tendons. Unbeknownst to the doctor, the boar�s tusk had also pushed through his boot and severed his calf muscle.

�It looked like a cherry bomb went off in there,� he said, glancing at his thickly bandaged leg.

It took orthopedic and vascular surgeons at University Hospital in Augusta nearly four hours to repair the damages.

Dr. Jackson hobbled to his gun safe and pulled out his Remington.

�It was a fight to the death,� he said, pointing to the bite marks and gouges along the barrel. �One of us wasn�t coming out of there alive.�

He returned to his recliner, sporting a deep tan and athletic shorts. He looked himself, despite the cuts and lumps and the perfect purple hoof mark imprinted in his thigh.

He said J.R. returned for the hog and will soon deliver packages of bacon, sausage and cubed steak. There will be a skull mount arriving soon, too, complete with the razor teeth and 4-inch tusks that came so close to taking his life.

Dr. Jackson pointed to the wall where it will likely hang and recalled the flash of black-and-white stripe across the boar�s shoulder.

�I will always remember that pink eye staring right at me,� he said.

The incident won�t discourage Dr. Jackson from returning to the woods. Just as soon as his body will let him, he�ll be back at it looking for some more bacon and sausage.

Editor�s Note: Elizabeth Billips is the associate editor at The True Citizen in Waynesboro and interviewed Dr. Jackson at his Waynesboro home on July 7.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
350 yard shot on a 200 lb. boar with a .243...

Dude deserved to get his ass kicked!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
there was a fella killed up by Waco a few years back

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess somebody forgot to tell the good Doctor that hogs eat stupid people.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When we were about 10 years old we got chased by Brutus. He came haulin' ass out of a patch of tall weeds.
Charged the riding lawn mower!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 13,741 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,115
Posts18,542,159
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.