Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Who are these people?

So the reason our unemployment is so high is because Americans are lazy rather than the rate being high because our economy sucks?

Tom Delay: People Are Unemployed Because They Want To Be

Former House Majority Leader Tom Delay called Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) "brave" on Sunday for launching a one-man filibuster of unemployment benefits, arguing that they dissuaded people from going out and finding work.

Appearing on CNN's "State of the Union," the Texas Republican said that Bunning's fiscal responsibility was commendable, even if his shenanigans (refusing to allow unemployment benefits to be considered by unanimous consent) nearly brought the Senate to a halt.

"Nothing would have happened if the Democrats had just paid for [the benefits]," Delay said. "People would have gotten their unemployment compensation. I think Bunning was brave in standing up there and taking it on by himself."

Asked whether it was bad strategy to make a budget stand on a $10 billion extension of unemployment (as opposed to, say, the Bush's $720 billion prescription drug package), Delay insisted that if the PR had been done right, Bunning would have been applauded. Helping the unemployed with federal assistance, he said, was unsound policy.

"You know," Delay said, "there is an argument to be made that these extensions, the unemployment benefits keeps people from going and finding jobs. In fact there are some studies that have been done that show people stay on unemployment compensation and they don't look for a job until two or three weeks before they know the benefits are going to run out.

Host Candy Crowley: Congressman, that's a hard sell, isn't it?

Delay: it's the truth.

Crowley: People are unemployed because they want to be?

Delay: well, it is the truth. and people in the real world know it. And they have friends and they know it.
Sure, we ought to be helping people that are unemployed find a job, but we also have budget considerations that are incredibly important, especially now that Obama is spending monies that we don't have

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100307/cm_huffpost/489050

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Obviously he is not over 50 and looking for work

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Open mouth, insert foot. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gentleman, I know a lot of folks that have no intention on putting serious effort into seeking another job or accepting a job "beneath them" until their benefits are close to expiration.

Your mileage may vary, but I see it every damn day. As repulsive as it may be.

He may sound like a dickweasel, but he's not far off the mark in some areas....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore

being over 40 and looking for work isn't any fun either

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
timing is everything

a few years ago he'd have been spot on

today he just looks like a guy that knows his pension is secured, for the rest let them eat cake

I'm for extending unemployment benefits, but not for the lazy,
folks that really want to work should do something good for the country if they're expecting the country to support them.

they should have to hunt down and hang a politician first

(just kiddin for you black helicopter pilots, but barely)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Obviously he is not over 60 and looking for work.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick

being over 40 and looking for work isn't any fun either
Try it with a history of heart disease. One a-hole even laughed at me. I was already down and dang near out and his laughter was a kick in the gut. There's a special place in hell for people like him.

rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE
Gentleman, I know a lot of folks that have no intention on putting serious effort into seeking another job or accepting a job "beneath them" until their benefits are close to expiration.

I'm sure everyone knows someone like that but when your country has just lost 8.5 million jobs in short order because of the effects of Wall St and govt policy, I'm guessing the majority aren't too happy about collecting a $350 a week check.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
the one time i collected unemployment when i was 20, 26yrs ago. i had to show that i had gone out and looked for a job or the benefits would be discontinued. i take it this is no longer the case

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't take it so seriously... he was just referring to the Democrat controlled states. grin

And, yes.. there is truth to what he says for a lot of folks, but he's way out of line for right now. There are a lot of hard-working, non-union folks that have been hit hard. And no end in sight with a government that just keeps throwing pork money around rather than fixing the economy.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Remove all the illegals from the US workforce and things will change. No more slave labor rates in low end construction (what's left) and other areas as well (what's left there too). Close the friggin border and EVICT. Leave the US jobs to US citizens. Aren't too many politicians pushing border enforcement or immigration law enforcement. Wonder why?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
About 4-5 percent don't want to work. That is about the level we have been down to and never go lower, even though many entry level jobs are available and left wanting for someone to fill them. That leaves about another 12-15 percent presently that would certainly love to find a job.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are a LOT of folks sitting at home with 2/3 or better of a full pay check. As long as they can NOT WORK, and GET PAID, they will continue to do so.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my brother had a hell of a time getting on unemployment when he got laid off for the winter....think he applied in December and got one check last week.....not sure why but he could not get them to cut him a check.....he was happier than hell when i and about 5 other guys around town could put him to work off the books....he swears he is never [bleep] with unemployment again.....the only thing that saved his arse is the fact he had enough contacts that needed a few things done so he could work enough off the books to make his car and insurance payment....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Huffington post? Really?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
rrroae Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Easy now, the article was on Yahoo.

Here's a video of the interview if that makes you more comfortable.

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/tom-delay-people-are-unemployed-becau

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well this is one of the reasons I consider myself moderate Independent. Too many hardcore Republicans who look at the working class with disdain, as the enemy of the businessman.

I'm sure Delay is right, there are probablly SOME. I personally don't know any, but I'm sure they are out there, however to write the problem of unemployment off becasue of this is absurd. Spoken from a guy who probablly hasn't picked up a shovel in thirty years.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RWE

So true or they have something going on the side and don't want to upset the apple cart...

With that said there are others that are on a hard road and should not look to government for substance.. Unfortunately they are not going to learn the hard way that gov will always let you down... We all are going to have to learn that the hard way... We can't we keep this spending and taxing up... It's just not in the books...

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shootem
Remove all the illegals from the US workforce and things will change. No more slave labor rates in low end construction (what's left) and other areas as well (what's left there too). Close the friggin border and EVICT. Leave the US jobs to US citizens. Aren't too many politicians pushing border enforcement or immigration law enforcement. Wonder why?

Because they are having the taxpayer subsidize their pay scale.. As long as they are able to suppress the pay scale they are more then willing to say they can't find an American to fill those jobs.....

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 39 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,392
Posts18,469,896
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.