(laughin')

Still have nightmares about that chit!

Last edited by SamOlson; 03/07/10.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
BASTIDS! cry

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one in this article gored nine farm animals, a dog and nearly got a hunter. Two of the animals had to be destroyed.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...mp;sjid=-qYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1291,4798412

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/07/10.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to what they CAN do if a hog takes a mind to do it. I don't have photos or news clips as to this only my word which I hope is good around here.

Years back four of us were dog hunting hogs and ran a bunch that bayed up in a swamp hole @ a quarter acre in size. We were trying to ease in on them when they busted. One big boar hog, I'd guess just under 300 pounds ran between the legs of the mule that a friend of mine was riding. Mule was about hock deep in mud as we all were.

When he went under Will's mule he gave a flirt with his cutters. Mule screamed and tried to jump but all his guts fell out on the ground. Gutted just as slick as if you had done it with a knife. That yellow and black spotted sob was gone before anybody could get off a shot.

I saw it and testify to it happening. Makes you kind of carefull walking up on bayed hogs.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I've seen them cut dogs before as well, but it happend because the dog's are annoying them, biting their ears, tail and any other apendage.

Also knew of a guy who worked with my brother who had a calf muscle torn off by a pig as he tried climbing a tree a little too late. That was nasty, but rare.

There are an aweful lot of pigs shot every year all over the world and surprisingly few stories of gore to make against these animals. They are a pest and great to shoot. That's all.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
read a article a while back about a ranch hand near cotulla tx that hunts hogs with one dog. he goes out at night after them with the dog no firearm just a knife. while he would sometimes kill the hog he usually would catch them and bring them in alive.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So what I take from the comments is that most likely nothing would have happened if I had gone ahead and walked out but airing onthe side of safety like I did wasn't a bad idea.

Some good news that has come from this my wife gave me the go ahead to pick up a new Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. that I have had my eye on.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
any excuse to buy a new gun is a good one! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
i do not consider hogs to be either dangerous or aggressive, but still...

i work with an old boy who grew up around them like i did... he never thought much of them except to shoot them as vermin...
in Feb. 2008 he cornered one on horseback and got off to shoot the thing... he had it cornered and before he could even get his gun out that thing came past him and hooked the leg of his bibs with a tush... he got his gun out but dropped it... said that hog shook hell out of him... missed 2 weeks of work and got a bunch of stitches in his leg and one hand....

said that he liked to never got loose til that hog ripped the entire leg off his bibs....
when the hog left he said that he laid there and cried like a baby till he got up and stumbled out to the road... a neighbor going by took him to the hospital...

his dad had to go out and get his horse... never found his gun, a blackhawk .357...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
i think that he had to do the rabies shots as well...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
read a article a while back about a ranch hand near cotulla tx that hunts hogs with one dog. he goes out at night after them with the dog no firearm just a knife. while he would sometimes kill the hog he usually would catch them and bring them in alive.

I don't doubt it at all stx. Case of a smart dog and half smart ranch hand. I have seen and I bet you have too hogs that no dog ever whelped could hold. They were just too damn big and tough. OTOH when I was younger and a hell of a lot more spry I have caught them or cut them with a couple of dogs helping. Never did it with a single dog though. Maybe our dogs weren't smart enough. If that ranch hands dog is smart enough not to tie into one he can't handle well and good. Depends on the dog and depends on the hog. Any five inch blade will take the heart of any hog going in over the breast bone. Straddle him and pull his head up. Shorter blade will do it behind the shoulder angle forward.

As to catching, a hog with legs over about 2inches around was too big for me to get a grip on. Unless you got hands like a gorilla it is mostly too big for any man, he'll kick loose.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger a big old pistol is a powerful comfort in the woods on a dark night. laugh

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Get a hogs back leg up in the air and he's pretty helpless...

Seen plenty of boars who were dog killers- some had had their ears chewed off so the poor catch dog had nothing to grab [good reason for healer type dogs vs full breed or 1/2 pits]

One of the best pig dogs I've ever seen was a tiny rat terrier "Bullet" those big hogs would just stand and look at that squirrel sized dog and think "What the F" ......until the rest of the pack was on him

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve never had an aggressive one to speak of. Not much russian blood here though... all ferals mostly.

I've had to kick a couple that were a bit snotty and crunched ones skull once with my boot heel when we were bowhunting but nothing that that I'd deem anything like seek and hurt...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johnw
i think that he had to do the rabies shots as well...

I did manage to get bit catching them once.... we could run down the shoats when we were younger, and lay em out... tie em up and go on.... One managed to bit through the rope and bite my thumbnail in half....at that point he lost his head to my 45..... No brains left to send in after the fact...
Had a rabies series myself... would have kept the titer up too except it was a huge hassle testing and then getting a booster when living in the country... tests had to go to KS or some such...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Another comment. I have hunted pigs in drought conditions whereby there was little protein, no carrion to speak of, no lambing paddocks and such and I would rate those pigs as more aggressive than the usual piggy that is encounted.

Broke down once 19 miles behind the homestead which was 44 miles from the front gate. It was a long walk back to the house and a mate (also a lawyer, he he) drew the short straw. We loaded him up with water for the long hike and he reported that he was surrounded by pigs several times during the night which sounded very aggressive with lots of noise and clicking tusks but none came too close.

I can understand how a person may be fearful of these things. If it promotes caution or additional awareness then I am ok with that.

Just thoght of another incident near a town called Condoblin in central NSW back in the 70's. A woman rolled her car on a corner and was pinned at the legs. The story I heard from the property owner, was that the pigs came at dark and devoured her. They found the legs still pinned under the car the next morning.

It was a lot more isolated back then. Last time I was there in the 90's someone had painted the town. Still looked like Tombstone though.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JW something similar to your woman/car incident happend to an old farmer here when I was a kid. I didn't see it but heard the folks talking about it. I knew old man O'Keif.

He went out to slop his hogs, domestic, had a heart attack or stroke or something. Fell backwards over the fence so that his legs were in the hog pen and the rest of him was outside.

When he was found the next morning the hogs had eaten his legs off up to the knees.

"They said" he died of blood loss and not the stroke or what ever it was.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey RugerM77270, I wouldn't trust a hog. Rather be safe then sorry. Did you have those bullets I sent you loaded up? They would have calmed him down!

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard of stories from guys in Texas that trailed wounded pigs they shot with archery tackle. Could've been charges, could've been just wanting to get out of there and going through the guy was the easiest path.
The only unwounded ones that ever scared me were the ones caught in traps. They had a meaner than hell look about them and would charge you through the trap. I knew it would hold, but it'll still make you jump back a second when they hit they gate full force.
In those big permanent corral traps, the pigs could really get a running start on the fencing when they charge. I'd always shoot the charger first if we caught a small herd.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 55 invisible), 13,433 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,123
Posts18,542,297
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.