Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If you are a hunter or guide in Alaska, what gun and caliber would you use for stopping a charge by a Brown bear or Grizzley?

This topic came up on another forum and some people there said a 44 magnum was a good stopper. Personally, I'd want a 45/70 or 450 marlin loaded with Garrett loads or a shotgun loaded with heavy Copper slugs. If given a choice, I can't see how a pistol would be the 1st choice. Am I wrong?

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You need to talk to (Phil) 458WIN. That's what he does for a living.

"To the contrary, we hunt not to kill. We kill to have hunted." Thanks Jose & JB
"I wouldn't venture out there fellas. This snipers got talent."
" I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm not an Alaskan or a gunwriter, but ...

The only reason an handgun would be first choice is because you're doing something else with your hands such that a rifle isn't a viable option. It's pretty hard to chop wood, dig ditch, etc with a rifle in hand or even on a sling. It's not even all that easy to cast when you're fishing with a rifle or shotgun in the way. As always, the inadequate gun in your hand is better than the adequate gun back at home or in the truck out of immediate reach.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ask the Africa guys......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wait 'til I get some popcorn..........

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best rifle is the one you're most likely to actually hit the bear in fatal areas with as it charges. Everything else is not relevant if you don't hit it in the right spot. The best cartridge is one that shoots well from the rifle you're carrying. Good bullets are important, but there are a lot of them out there.

Shotguns and slugs are very poor; if you're making a decision, carry a rifle.

I "officially" carried a .35 Whelen; the bears and I got along just fine and I never shot one. Hunting in bear country I've carried the Whelen and my .444, but I never had to shoot one then either.

Hitting one with a lighter rifle is quite a bit better than missing one with a heavier rifle...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I own a Whelen, and have heard very good things about the 250 grain bullets on big bears. I just never thought of it as a "fight" stopper. It's nice to know.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that Elmer used a a double rifle in .500 Gibbs through the shoulders, just to slow them down. I have a Rem .375 H&H and a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun for the long and short of it, with a .300WBY for the middle.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The reason you'd want a handgun, is for popping your partner in the knee - before you go off running. Failing that, hunt with a fat guy...

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
If you are a hunter or guide in Alaska, what gun and caliber would you use for stopping a charge by a Brown bear or Grizzley?

This topic came up on another forum and some people there said a 44 magnum was a good stopper. Personally, I'd want a 45/70 or 450 marlin loaded with Garrett loads or a shotgun loaded with heavy Copper slugs. If given a choice, I can't see how a pistol would be the 1st choice. Am I wrong?

Phi Shoemaker (an Alaskan Bear Guide of note) has used every thing from 30-06 to 505 Gibbs.
The 475 Linebaugh revolver with an LBT LFN hard cast will put bear and Moose on the ground

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by croldfort
I think that Elmer used a a double rifle in .500 Gibbs through the shoulders, just to slow them down. I have a Rem .375 H&H and a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun for the long and short of it, with a .300WBY for the middle.

Elmer used many calibers for bear incdluding the 35 Whelen, 333 and 334 OKH

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BCBrian
The reason you'd want a handgun, is for popping your partner in the knee - before you go off running. Failing that, hunt with a fat guy...

Maybe all of your handguns are wimpy but, speak for yourself. Some of us acctualy own revolvers that put big game on the ground in a hurry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like I said before...where you hit it is more important than what you hit it with.

Makes no difference what you hit it with if you don't hit it well...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would think a properly placed bullet from a 375 H&H would be just about perfect.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muledeer
The best rifle is the one you're most likely to actually hit the bear in fatal areas with as it charges. Everything else is not relevant if you don't hit it in the right spot. The best cartridge is one that shoots well from the rifle you're carrying. Good bullets are important, but there are a lot of them out there.

Shotguns and slugs are very poor; if you're making a decision, carry a rifle.

I "officially" carried a .35 Whelen; the bears and I got along just fine and I never shot one. Hunting in bear country I've carried the Whelen and my .444, but I never had to shoot one then either.

Hitting one with a lighter rifle is quite a bit better than missing one with a heavier rifle...

Dennis

Cactus Jack wrote about Josea Sarber,....Game Warden in Alaska,Kodiak Island.
I'm not able to find a direct link / quote,....but I'm recalling him choosing a (Gasp) .270 Win.
The punchline that I recall well is " ....but, he was a cool and deadly shot".

I reckon it was in "The Rifle Book" or "The Hunting Rifle".
suffice it to say that I agree completely with your "Hit Well" proposition.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was in the Yukon a few years ago and noticed they sold 375H&H and 458Win in the local hardware store.

I carried a 375 on that one.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by muledeer
Like I said before...where you hit it is more important than what you hit it with.

Makes no difference what you hit it with if you don't hit it well...

Dennis

A famous poster here about used to say:

placement, bullet, cartridge..............

this part "............." is a hint! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

The question is about a stopping caliber. Phil Shoemaker uses a 458 WinMag routinely, but has also utilized other calibers, .375 and up. As far as handguns, he carries a .357 and recommends firing it into the ground in front of the bear as you vacate its proximity. It won't stop a charge.

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Winchester_69

The question is about a stopping caliber. Phil Shoemaker uses a 458 WinMag routinely, but has also utilized other calibers, .375 and up. As far as handguns, he carries a .357 and recommends firing it into the ground in front of the bear as you vacate its proximity. It won't stop a charge.

If you are going to report what "Phil Shoemaker" uses report in all and report accurately. Phil has used and still does use and recommends a 30-06. Phil has posted right here on the Campfire that a 30-06 is "perfectly adequate for the Big Bears"

This is the second post that I have corrected about "what Phil use's"

Originally Posted by 458Win
[Linked Image]

I've put this on before but it is from last fall and shows a boar that a client wounded and that I had to follow into some thick pucker brush with my 30-06 using 220 Partitions @ 2500fps.
While I would have preferred to have been carrying my 458 - I didn't have it at the time and had no doubt that a properly used 30-06 is still enough if the shooter is up to it.

I can find more are is this is not enough?

Last edited by jwp475; 03/10/10.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Another quote from Phil

Originally Posted by 458Win
"slower 30's" ? If you can't do it with a 30-06 - THEN YOU CAN'T DO IT !

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (222Sako, 1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 64 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,694
Posts18,494,150
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.