Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, any thoughts on these? I'm in the market for a new rimfire rifle. At first it was going to be a CZ 452 and I only needed to pick out which caliber and style. But, now I'm thinking about a few models and the Ruger 77/17 seems to have my attention at the moment. I don't current own a .17HMR and it sounds like fun. It's a little more than a CZ but after you subtract the cost of a set of good rings they really aren't that far apart price wise.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Terry

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Terry..

You may not like what I am about to say, but my answer is two extremes..

Given your level of taste as a rifleman, I think you should sell a gun or two and pony up the $$$ for a Cooper m57. It will shoot really well(it's gauranteed to) and the overall styling and quality level will be so close to your custom centerfire rigs you will be right at home..

When you rell thik about it, the MOST EXPENSIVE rifle one should own is the ONE THEY SHOOT THE MOST, since you will get the most value for the money .. For most any rifleman- that is a 22LR.

Now as to the 17HMR. I have owned and extensively shot the MArlins Savages CZs and the Rugers over the last 8 years..

Frankly, once the barrels are broke in properly the Marlins have shot more consistently acrros the board than any of them(under 1 MOA with the loads they like).

They seem to have VERY good barrels on them. The CZ and Savge rifles are a bit more inconsistent with how they shoot in the 17HMR and the Rugers have been dead last. I have seen tuned 17V Marlins that would shoot Cooper sized test target groups on demand at 50 yards.

I would get a blued $200 Marlin 917V and a brick of Hornady V max ammo. For about $300 ,you can try out the 17HMR (which is not for everybody).. if you don't like it, you will not have lost much..

Last edited by jim62; 03/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi Jim, comments good and bad are appreciated!

Thanks for your's. Food for thought for sure.

Terry

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had CZ's and now have two 77/22's. Both have pro's and cons.

CZ's Pro's. They are accurate most of the time right out of the box. Trigger is ok but can be made better.

Cons: bedding them is kind of a pain, but I do feel they shot better after the fact.
The extra mags are very $$$ and only hold approx 5 shells. Hard to find many extra's (i.e. stocks, barrels, mags, etc)

77/22 Pro's: They are accurate (not quite as good as the CZ) out of the box but can be made way better with a little work. They are easy to bed and they have great mags (that hold 9 or 10 rounds) Extra parts are easy to find.

Cons: The triggers suck but with just a little work and a spring change, I was able to go from 8lbs to about 1lb.

I have to agree with Jim, I have also had a Marlin and after about 300 rounds it will shoot with any of them. I did have to go to a Rifle Basix trigger to get a good trigger on it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I were buying a Ruger, I would go with the target version( vbz) I put VQ sears and springs in mine -the cheap 10 rd mags are a plus, weight and feel are more like a big rifle too. but while very accurate- my CZ's are just a little better and consistant. but I like them both

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hmmm I have Kimbers, Win52B on the high end and a 77/22 and a 10/22 on the low end. The 77/22 is a older stainless boat stock model. I had the trigger worked over and 9 times out of ten it is the one I grab to shoot. It sports a 2x7C Leupold and it loves the cheap bulk Federal hp ammo.

Don't own a 17 and won't. Not a fan.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TC1: Your instincts are right on!
Go with the Ruger 77/17 V/T (the heavy barrel 17 HMR model)!
I own one and its in the top three most accurate rimfire Rifles I have ever owned!
And I have owned several Anschutz rimfires, along with Winchester 52's, Winchester Target 75"s (I still own two of these), Remington 40X's, Kimber heavy barrel models and tricked out Ruger 10/22's just to name some of them!
Not only have all the Ruger 77/17 V/T's I have seen been especially accurate the 17 HMR is by far the best rimfire round out there for longer range accuracy and for Varmint and small game Hunting!
I am dealing right now on another used Ruger 77/17 V/T for my arsenal in fact.
The fit, feel and function of my Ruger 77/17 is nothing less than perfect!
The 9 round rotary magazines are a joy to use and don't "hang down" like many other rimfire magazines DO!
And of course the Ruger 77/17's safety works correctly (forward is fire) unlike the bassackwards CZ models!
That fact alone has kept me from ever even considering buying one of the CZ's!
Go with the Ruger 77/17 for accuracy and lethality up to and including Coyotes and Badgers!
And like you mentioned the rings are included with the Ruger 77/17.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have an Anschutz 64 MP R and a Ruger 77/22. It's a toss up on which I might use on a given day. Both are ammo specific. The Anschutz came out of the box doing well.

I had to shim the bolt, stone the sear, and grind a bit off each end of the trigger spring on the 77. Didn't need any different parts at all, and it's around a 1 lb trigger. One of the easiest triggers out there to rework. The shim (mine was about 0.007 in) simply rectified a slight headspace issue. Love the smooth lines the integrated magazine gives to the Rugers.

With no wind around, I can consistently take Beldings ground squirrels out to about 140 yds with either unit.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/10/10.

1Minute
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Terry,
I love the .17 HMR and I own a Cooper and a CZ (european style). The CZ was about $350 when I bought it and the Cooper was about $1200. I love them both - the CZ is a light barrelled rifle compared to the Cooper, but still shoots right with the more expensive rife. I have owned a 77/22 in .22 and it was a nice rifle; however, it is gone and the CZ 22s that I have are still with me.......that tells alot.

John

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I own two CZ .22 and have Rifle Basix triggers in each of them. Both shoot well. I have a Ruger 77/17 which I sent to randy at Connecticut Precision for his accurizing magic. I shoots well. I think you will be happy with either, both excellent rifles. Also, I used to own a Ruger 77/22mag. and it was stock out of the box, and shot well. But the .22 rimfire Match ammo and the .17 HMR ammo is probably more accurate than .22 mag ammo.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been in the market for a low cost 77/22 in 22 Long rifle for quite a while.. they are just hard to find..which tells ya something.

I have a heavy barrel in 17 HMR and a sporter barreled one in 22 Mag... both are excellent accurate shooters..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Not a bad choice either way here, I have owned a few of both and found the CZ's a little more accurate with the Ruger maybe a little slicker when cycling the bolt and I like the Ruger safety much better, the trigger on the CZ is also a little better than the Ruger..............Good luck........547.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Terry Ive got both the 77/22 VBBZ and the 77/17 VBBZ...The .22 was so accurate I didnt hesitate when it came out in a .17 Hummer...both are EXCELLENT.
Plus they will stand up to heavy usage...my .17HMR is budgeted for 3500 rounds per season, and Ive had it five years now....so its had a few rounds through it without a bobble...
( We shoot high volume "gophers" here...)
I couldnt begin to tell you how many rounds my 77/22 have had put through it since I bought it in 1997....again, nary a bobble..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everybody! Keep'm coming. I'm leaning heavy towards 77/17 target model at this point. Most everybody seems happy with the accuracy with this model and caliber and it looks like it would be great for what I have in mind for the rifle. Paper punching from a bench and some occasional hunting. I have a very accurate/lightweight 20" aluminum barreled 10/22 and I think the 77/17 target would compliment it well. I wanted the CZ 452 at first because I have this cool milled trigger guard for it and I know they shoot. But, now I've sold myself on the idea of a .17HMR it's a non issue because the trigger guard is for the .22LR model only.

I've looked at a few 77/22's and really like the rifle. Nobody has the model I want in stock so I guess I'll have to order one. Still thinking about it though.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 77-17 in the standard barrel weight.

I bought it because it was the first 17 cal. rifle to hit town, and am very happy with it!

I've got a fixed 8X Leupold on it with a dot reticle.

100 yard groups hover just over 1" with it.

I want the same rifle in a heavy barrel, for a "back up" gun.

I had a HB model in 22 mag. and sold it in a weak moment. Bad mistake!

Virgil B.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I currently have the 77/17VT and it is a really nice rifle. Traded a Savage for it and while the Savage was definitely more accurate, I prefer the Ruger overall. I need to work on the accuracy issues but the gun feels more full sized and the grey metal coloring coupled with the laminated stock really makes a sharp looking rig!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I was considering a 77/22 a few months ago, and a gunshop owner that I trust told me that a CZ452/453 was a better bang for the buck. He said that 9 out of 10 CZ's would outshoot the 1 out of 10 Rugers that would shoot, and the CZ452 just needed a trigger tweek, whereas the 77/22 had more serious issues.

I bought the CZ453, and am very happy -- the trigger is amazing with no tweeks.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a CZ452 for my son and it is an excellent shooter, plus it has a stock that is possibly the best I've seen on any factory rimfire I've ever handled...it handles and feels like my Biesen custom M70! It will not quite match my Anschutz for group size, but I think a trigger tune up would level that field as well.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have been very pleased with my 77/17. Fun little gun... and a tack driver.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 77/22 loves CCI minimags. I should post a pic of the groups it shoots at 54 yards, 10 shots. With that said my daughters Remington Model 5 @ 54 yards, 5 shots with CCI minimags shoots .2 groups, not bad for a $169 rifle.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,022
Posts18,500,450
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.