Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Talisker is excellent, but I don't think I'd spring it on a newcomer to malt whisky. It's a little aggressive for the uninitiated. grin

There is that.

But the Laphroigh and Bowmore I have in line at the moment are even less so.

I like all three.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This thread forced me to the kitchen for a glass. I must say it was the appropriate amount over a cube or two. Now if you pour Scotch whiskey over a glass full of ice, it is indeed a sin. If you pour a finger or so over a cube or two and drink it in a timely manner, no sin in my mind.

For the inquirer about peat flavored whiskey, generally lowland whiskey. Here is a link that under regions will tell the various regions of production, and flavors go with regions. Just a quick google for that info, much more to be learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

For the vodka lover, put that stuff in the freezer.

NRA Life Member
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like this thread and the other Whisky thread.

Thanks MM and everyone!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

M
mathman Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you pour a finger or so over a cube or two and drink it in a timely manner, no sin in my mind.

Repent ye blasphemer! laugh

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hard to beat the Famous Grouse for an everyday, affordable blended Scotch.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My choice for smoke &/or peat flavours would tend towards the Islay Malts.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is Glenlivet 12 considered a "good" scotch? That was the one I had, no ice mind you, that tasted like a nasty cough medicine.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
mathman Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Glenlivet is relatively mild, though not particularly soft tasting. You may have a delicate palate.

Stay far away from Ardbeg, Talisker, Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Elk, I think the term "good" is purely subjective.

Bit like trying to judge ice skating / ice dancing at the Olympics !!

To the OP - Mathman, how about you start a new thread.

We can't all afford to keep "top shelf" in our cabinets, so why not start a thread on "If you had to choose one Scotch / Bourbon / Rye to drink everyday, what would it be & why".

Paul.

Paul.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Makers Mark, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Jamesons and several others with or without ice. No water, no soda. I just wondered if all scotch tasted like that.

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I just wondered if all scotch tasted like that.

elk - Then you're just going to have to break out those benjamins that have been hibernating in yer wallet (go slowly, Ben will be squinting from exposure to light...LOL), and go to a purveyor (not the one that sells produce, or sporting goods, two aisles over) to pull a bottle off the shelf...LOL!!

Last edited by sse; 03/11/10.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
mathman Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's a wide world of malt whisky flavor.

If you want to try something complex and interesting but not edgy there's Cragganmore. Very nice.

Bruichladdich 10 may be to your taste. Don't let its Islay origin fool you, this one isn't full of peat smoke. Very mellow.

Glengoyne is not peated either. The 17 is outstanding.

You may not care for the core flavor of malt whisky. If you don't like it then you just don't like it. If that's the case keep exploring bourbon, that's what I'm concentrating on these days.

Some of the very finest spirits in my collection are bourbon and rye, and especially in the last two or three years they have become the better value in quality and enjoyment per dollar.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to get mine today. I sure hope I don't like it cos last thing I need is another expensive habit. wink . Elk I'll send ya' some of whet I get in a wide mouth. Should make you feel right at home. grin

Maybe the cheap but good whiskey thread suggestion was a good un.

Last edited by byc; 03/11/10.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Glenfidditch and a Macanudo Duke of Windsor, mild and creamy with a hint of peat, cedar and roasted nuts. Do not follow with lime Jello if you're dining at the managed care facility.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Famous Grouse! That has to be some of worst scotch on the planet. My brother had a bottle given to him for his birthday which he brought along on our blacktail hunt this fall. It was god awful, but we managed to power our way through it, hopefully that will be the last time.

M
mathman Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We can't all afford to keep "top shelf" in our cabinets, so why not start a thread on "If you had to choose one Scotch / Bourbon / Rye to drink everyday, what would it be & why".

What's a reasonable price constraint for a "middle shelf" everyday spirit?

How do you consume your everyday drink? Remember I've tuned my palate to whisk(e)y sipped straight which definitely reveals flaws. But since the flavor is concentrated and intense I don't drink a whole bunch of it. Since I drink less I can afford to drink better. I'm nowhere close to wealthy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by byc
I'm going to get mine today. I sure hope I don't like it cos last thing I need is another expensive habit. wink . Elk I'll send ya' some of whet I get in a wide mouth. Should make you feel right at home. grin

Maybe the cheap but good whiskey thread suggestion was a good un.

There are some very good whiskeys out there that are not expensive. BTW I have some of that stuff that comes in a wide mouth mason jar. A friend from NC brought it out. You gotta be careful with that stuff eek pretty high octane and will eat the finish off your counter if you spill it...

Someone mentioned Basil Hayden bourbon which is very good. As is Bookers. Right now in my cabinet there are Bookers, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, 8 Seconds, Pendleton, Makers Mark, Maple Creek, Crown Special Reserve, Jamesons, Koltiska...that come to mind.

Someone here mentioned Old Forester as being a good one for the money. I have not tried that yet.

M
mathman Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Famous Grouse! That has to be some of worst scotch on the planet.

Compared to what?

How were you drinking it?

What do you usually drink?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mathman,

"What's a reasonable price constraint for a "middle shelf" everyday spirit?"

Subjective to the individual.

"How do you consume your everyday drink?"

Subjective to the individual.

"Remember I've tuned my palate to whisk(e)y sipped straight which definitely reveals flaws. But since the flavor is concentrated and intense I don't drink a whole bunch of it. Since I drink less I can afford to drink better. I'm nowhere close to wealthy."

This is good, it's the how & why of your choices.

Some background on my situation.

I was a City "yuppie" in Australia. Really high disposable income. One of my favourite things was playing sommelier, even studied some subjects part time & consumed vast amounts of courses reading material.

Over the period, "sans children", or often referred to as B.C., I built up an exquisite wine cellar.

Jumping forward to 2005, when we emigrated to Canada, had to sell the entire collection. Was going to be taxed beyond my comprehension to bring it here, was going to cost me upwards of $3K a year to store it in a climate controlled environment. So off it went to either good friends, who knew what they were buying, & the balance to an auction house, were I basically received less than 50 cents on the dollar.

My tastes have not changed, I still long to be able to walk downstairs, pull a $50+ bottle of Australian Shiraz or Cabernet, a delicate vintage port, mouth filling Muscat or Tokay, whenever I wanted to.

But I can't.

Here in a small NW Ontario town, my choices are very limited. Not to mention that the entire liquor industry is govt run !!

Also betting that, because of same, I would be paying upwards of 50% more than you are.

Now I can only buy "anything exotic" when I travel. Duty free where possible.

Paul.

Paul.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A buddy showed up the other night with a couple of bottles from a wooden case of twelve he found in a basement belonging to an old guy who was paying him to do some remodeling work. When asked if he could buy it, the guy gave it to him as a tip! Ballantine Scotch, and according to the tax stamps, bottled in 1953. Now, like the rest of y'all, I'm a single malt guy (make mine Laphroiag, please, or anything else from the Isle of Islay) but this stuff is smoooooth, aged in the bottle since the year I was born! Bless his heart, he "forgot" to take one of the bottles home with him. It was the same whisky Richard Burton drank all the time in the movie "The Spy Who Came In From the Cold"- same squat, square bottle with a white diamond-shaped label.

I know, supposedly bottle aging doesn't do a thing for whisky but something happened to this stuff as it's nothing like any blended whisky I ever drank.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/11/10.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.