Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
This week I purchased my FIRST non pinned and recessed revolver, a 44 magnum, S&W, 6 inch..I intend to see where this goes..Frankly, although I have been adament on pinned and recessed, I am not at all sure why? For the life of me I cannot see any logical advantage to it, and can see that it could, in fact, be a minus in that crud can accumulate in the recess and make seating a bullet in the cylinder very difficult and I have had this happen...

So all you gents give me some intelligent input on the subject. I am interested in your imput..

As an edit, Lets add the pros and cons of the pinned barrel also..rifles are not pinned?? and they have more torque than a pistol..

Last edited by atkinson; 02/27/10.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The popularity of the pinned and receased M-29's IMHO is that they were manufactured in a time frame when S&W were making high quality and very accurate revolvers. Then S&W went through a period where quality and accuracy were problematic. The new ones today I believe are high quality and accurate again. JMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pinned and Recessed are simply points at which S&W was producing what was considered to be very good work. When they went to "crush fit" threads and non-recessed chambers, it just represented a point at which S&W began to cut costs. For the collector, this was a factor in determining value.

Sort of when Winchester changed from pre 64 to post 64 manufacturing. In truth, little changed, but the purists were appalled!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Dan,
I was appalled by Winchester and with very good reason, they made changes that were not acceptable and it took them 30 years to figure it out. Guess I'm a purist! smile

I don't see that S&W devalued their guns as far as working guns go, and I will add a maybe to that, and they all need a double action trigger job anyway..All rifles are crush fitted and in reality you can hand tighten a barrel and its perfectly safe. A lot is how the threads are cut at the last stage of the tightening process anyway.. But hey, I have been a purist on the pinned and recessed for years, I always wanted 5 screws! but now I question my motives so am going to give this pistol a workout and besides it saved me about $500..I just hope it will kill a deer, bear or cat.:)

The truth being I may not ever be satisfied with it and may peddle it at some point or trade it for a pinned and recessed gun! I'm like that you know! smile smile and yes, I owned a couple of post 64 Win. and they are pretty much junk IMO, would own another except in a varmint caliber.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got a Smith 29 that I bought new in 1967. Pretty sure it's had over 10,000 rds. through it, at least 8000 of which were full power loads. Sent it in for a factory inspection in the late 70's-early 80's. The factory replaced the clynder bolt, probably beause most my shooting was done double action, and the rear sight leaf. The leaf had lost it's white outline.
Have not had any problems with the two pinned and recessed guns that I've owned and have only seen problems with those used as clubs or that were dropped on hard surfaces. In all cases, such treatment resulted in the clynders being knocked out of alginment, thus tying up the guns.
Haven't seen any problems with crud building up under the case head recesses, but have seen some problems when crud built up under the extractor star. I've also seen a few that had the extractor rods unscrew, thus tying up the gun. E

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by atkinson
This week I purchased my FIRST non pinned and recessed revolver, a 44 magnum, S&W, 6 inch..I intend to see where this goes..Frankly, although I have been adament on pinned and recessed, I am not at all sure why? For the life of me I cannot see any logical advantage to it, and can see that it could, in fact, be a minus in that crud can accumulate in the recess and make seating a bullet in the cylinder very difficult and I have had this happen...

So all you gents give me some intelligent input on the subject. I am interested in your imput..

As an edit, Lets add the pros and cons of the pinned barrel also..rifles are not pinned?? and they have more torque than a pistol..
With modern cases, recessed chambers are no real advantage, and the pinned barrel was just an extra step to prevent the barrel unscrewing under recoil, which really never happens anyway. So, practically speaking, those features are no great advantage, but they serve as a demarcation of the time S&W was still going the extra mile in manufacturing, and the point after which they stopped going the extra mile. It's a symbol of a time when they went the extra mile in manufacturing a very high quality product. That's the only purpose those two features really serve.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Dan,
I was appalled by Winchester and with very good reason, they made changes that were not acceptable and it took them 30 years to figure it out. Guess I'm a purist! smile

I don't see that S&W devalued their guns as far as working guns go, and I will add a maybe to that, and they all need a double action trigger job anyway..All rifles are crush fitted and in reality you can hand tighten a barrel and its perfectly safe. A lot is how the threads are cut at the last stage of the tightening process anyway.. But hey, I have been a purist on the pinned and recessed for years, I always wanted 5 screws! but now I question my motives so am going to give this pistol a workout and besides it saved me about $500..I just hope it will kill a deer, bear or cat.:)

The truth being I may not ever be satisfied with it and may peddle it at some point or trade it for a pinned and recessed gun! I'm like that you know! smile smile and yes, I owned a couple of post 64 Win. and they are pretty much junk IMO, would own another except in a varmint caliber.

+1 on the Winchester issue.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I used some cabellas points last year to acquire a s&w model 29classic. That was the four inch version. I didn't like the thin wood grips, so put a set of pacmeyers on it. Also it had the pinned front sight so it was easy to replace that with one of those high visability sights from the light weight version a 329? if i remember the model right.
I have fired the 429421 lyman bullet, a bunch of jacketed stuff, and some other lead loads, and it shoots pretty well.
The lock still offends my sensibilities, and i might remove it one of these days. I know the story about the quality aspects of the pinned barrels, but a local pistolsmith i know, well know other than here actually, has said they weren't always quite lined up properly either. He didn't see a particular disatvantage to the drop in the pinned and recessed part.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/27/10.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Most S&W revolvers were never recessed. The Magnum cartridges were as were the .22 LRs. It actually serves no real purpose with today's ammo.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Don't have time to read all the replies right now. Please pardon if repetitive.

Pinned and recessed to me is kinda like "pre-64", but not quite as definite. Smith made great guns up to then, but then had some bumpy times and ended up making great guns again. I think that almost any pinned and recessed gun will be of good quality and have a good finish. The same can't be said of all those made after they quit, but some are as good or better.

As to the utility of those two characteristics, I think it is extremely limited.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Atkinson,

I have examples of both types in .44. Perhaps we should run out into the desert and shoot them at jackrabbits and determine if there is any practical advantage.

Then of course, we should grab a burger at the Rogerson store! smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
IMO you are missing out on some of the best/strongest guns Smith ever built by sticking with pinned/recessed.

Which ones am I referring to??

66-4
686-3
686-4
629-3
629-4
29-5
29-6
ect.

The -5 guns right before tha addition of the lock are great also.

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Got my gun a few days ago and I have to say it has the very best double action that I have EVER seen on a Smith and Wesson revolver, in fact I was sure it had been worked over by a professional so went inside and its factory, so I got lucky no doubt. It is a 29-3 btw and no pin and recess..shoots great so we;ll see.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got my gun a few days ago and I have to say it has the very best double action that I have EVER seen on a Smith and Wesson revolver, in fact I was sure it had been worked over by a professional so went inside and its factory, so I got lucky no doubt. It is a 29-3 btw and no pin and recess..shoots great so we;ll see.

Just dry firing one a number of times will smooth the action considerably. Some of those Smiths are like glass.

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I agree, I do a lot of double action dry firing and I shoot double action a lot..

I have not been loyal to my handguns since my retirement 20 plus years ago, but am getting more interested lately, and mostly due to this forum that has peaked my interest once again.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can ask your pinned/recessed question here:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No practical reason for the recessed cylinders, but I've seen a non-pinned barrel come loose.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have several Smith's, most are the pinned and recessed, the only one that is not is a 6 inch 686 and it is a great shooter. When I do my part it will make a ragged hole at 25 yards.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used to think it was a big deal, but no longer. I had a pinned and recessed Smith Model 57, circa 1978, that was so cherry I was reluctant to do anything with it. I shot it a few times. Finally sold it because it was just too pretty and I wanted a shooter. Put the money towards a NIB new production Gen 3 Colt SAA in 45 Colt. This Colt is perfectly timed -- hundreds, and i mean hundreds of dry fires and some shooting and not a hint of a drag mark on the cylinder. It is the first handgun I have owned that did not come with or develop a drag mark on the cylinder. My M57 had a very faint one. The Colt ain't pinned and recessed. I guess you can say it cured me.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I own both and the only real differance I've found is the pinned revolvers now command a premium. In fact, mine are mostly just oiled regularly and fired only with target ammo.

Actions on the older guns may be a bit slicker but the new ones are still superior to anyone else's (in my view) and most of my shooting is done with them. Steel and heat treating on the newer guns is probably better that of the older ones.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,694
Posts18,494,150
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.