Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

It happens every year about this time. I finally become weary of endless discussions regarding trivial minutia pertaining to the tools of hunting, i.e.; which gun, which caliber, which bullet, which scope, scopes vs iron sights, bow vs gun, ML vs modern rifle, etc. I'm always hoping that eventually the discussion will turn to that subject which is much more important in the process of hunting, namely finding the game. But none ever seem to spring out of the monitor, so I have to start one myself and here is this year's offering.

It should be obvious that the art of hunting, strategies for hunting, and the tools for hunting are integral one to another. The elk can easily outrun us so we use tools to catch or lure then to us. We have no natural biological weapons that we can use to kill our quarry so we have to use tools to accomplish the final act. Those tools have been discussed adnauseam.

Our quarry have different senses than ours. Our primary sense is our vision. Elk can hear and smell much better than we can. Their vision is motion sensitive and they have no color vision but they have much better night vision. We devise and employ strategies to minimize the effective use of the elk's senses and superior movement and to maximize the effective use of our senses. Ultimately we are pitting our minds against the instincts and abilities of our quarry.

So let's take a look at the strategies that we use. There are two primary strategies that I will label ACTIVE and PASSIVE. Those primary strategies can be sub-divided and the subdivisions can eventually blend together.

Sitting in a tree stand or sitting point overlooking a forest clearing, are examples of Passive strategies.

Sneaking through the dark timber along a game trail or executing team drives, are examples of Active strategies.

Rattling, bugling and baiting are examples where the strategies blend. We are stationary but we are doing something that will bring the quarry to us. When we spend time prior to the season scouting to determine where to place our tree stand or where to sit point, and when we actually build that tree stand, ground blind, or tower stand, active and passive strategies blend again.

The art of hunting comes into play when we apply a certain strategy and how we decide to blend strategies.

At this point in the article, I usually insert some controversial opinion that will stimulate discussion. Hopefully that won't be necessary this time.

What do you think?

Which strategies do you use? Which have been most successful for you?

What have I left out of the discussion?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Persistence....enough of it will make things happen.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting real hungry worked real well a couple times in my life!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think any good hunter needs to use all of those at various times. Oh and thank you for bringing this up, because we can't use our cool new equipment if we can't get into the elk.
But for me personally, I've had most of my luck with the active methods of hunting. I try to cover a lot of ground in what I consider elk country and hopefully run into some outside of dawn and dusk. You did forget to mention tracking, which is a ton of fun.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

scenarshooter:

I too think that being persistent is absolutely necessary. If we give up too soon, we will never know what we missed.

exbiologist:

I prefer active hunting over passive, because active hunting is more enjoyable to me, and I've done lots of it. But over the years, I think I have killed more elk by sitting and waiting.

You bet tracking and reading other signs is important. It's one of our best ways to figure out where the elk are to be found, where to place our stand or blind, and where to sit and wait.

Although I can't remember a time when I actually tracked down an elk by following fresh tracks, and I've tried many times. Even when tracks are obviously fresh and the elk is just ahead of me, I've never been able to sneak up on one that I was following. Maybe I'm just not good enough at being stealthy. Or maybe I'm not persistent enough. Do you have any tips for improvement?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E

I agree, knowing the country you hunt intimately for the time of year ones hunt is a huge part for location & killing elk! As a rifle hunter I locate most elk through glassing & calling both, as long as the hunt falls from late Aug to end of Oct give or take! Being I have a rifle at this time I have a great advantage of getting into shooting range over bowhunting, I love both! As in both, persistence & a strong desire to succeed over-rides many discomforts.

But I will say that the #-1 reason most bowhunters go home empty handed year after year is because of "hung up bulls" what's your take on this? I would be interested in hearing everyones thoughts! Thanks!

ElkNut1

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Getting real hungry worked real well a couple times in my life!

K:

I think that if I was hungry I wouldn't be hunting elk. Small game is a lot more plentiful and easier to kill. But on the other hand if I kill one elk, I will get more food than from maybe a hundred rabbits. Maybe I would just hunt elk when my belly is full of trout.

KC

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For me, as long as I am into game on a regular basis, I have had a successful hunt. And believe me, there have been a lot of elkless days/weeks.

So for me, the first thing about the art of hunting is to FIND THEM. I once read an article entitled "Elk at the moment" I find this to be true. First you have to realize that about 90% of the area that is suitable for elk holds no elk. So lots of shoe leather is worn just finding out where to hunt. Sure, if you hunt an area year after year, you probably know for the most part where they will be, but if 16 guys just made a drive through that area, you are back at square one. And elk can move a long way when they are spooked.

Another thing I have learned is that just because there were not elk there a couple of days ago, doesn't mean they haven't moved back in, especially if there are lots of hunters in the woods. A couple of years ago, we had set up camp on a pack in hunt and had hunted fairly close around there without finding any fresh sign. So after the second day, we saddled the horses and road several miles away to hunt. That night when we got back to camp (in the dark), we scared a herd out of camp! So always be prepared to find them where you find them.

I have pretty much resigned myself to hunting in September either with a muzzleloader or bow because of the rut. I love being able to hear them bugle and mew. I generally use the bugle to locate them. However, I have learned that I am not smart enough to know when to use a bugle up close, so I use it for location only. Then I move in and stalk and cow call. And of course, there are times due to whether or lots of pressure,that they just won't bugle, which makes it harder.

Another "art" is to find elk with all the other hunters in the woods. By studing aerial photos and topo maps and on the ground scouting you have to find those little pockets where the vast majority of people just won't go. Then you have to have the determination to go there no matter way. Course you have to be prepared to get him out if you are successful.

So elk are where you find them and finding them is an art! Go pant a picture!

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How I hunt depends on what the elk are doing. At this point in my life, I mostly hunt a ranch that I know well. I try to scout for 2-3 days immediately before the opening day. I prefer to hunt slowly and find areas that elk are currently using. I will return to areas that are getting a lot of use (travel routes, water sources, bedding areas, etc.), moving slowly and glassing a lot to locate and judge animals and figure out how to position myself to get a shot.

I usually hunt the first rifle hunt in Colorado and bulls are typically still bugling throughout the day, but rarely (if ever) come to calls. If I hear what I think is a good bull, I will try to slip in close enough to see if he is what I am looking for. I have taken several bulls at ranges of 20-45 yds this way. If you move slowly, stay alert and use the wind, you can get remarkably close to elk in bedding cover.

When elk are moving, I try to be sitting some place where I will see bands of elk and have a chance to see (and perhaps shoot) a legal bull. I am not a long distance shooter. All of my elk over the last 20 years have been taken at under 200 yds--most of them quite a ways under 200. Most of all, I try to be adaptable and respond to what the elk seem to be doing on a given day.

I don't always fill my tag but when I don't, it's almost always because I passed up too many shots in the first two or three days of the hunt.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ElkNut1
But I will say that the #-1 reason most bowhunters go home empty handed year after year is because of "hung up bulls" what's your take on this? I would be interested in hearing everyones thoughts!

ElkNut:

By "hung up bulls" do you mean that they want to take a big bull and pass on cows? If that's your meaning, then I agree. I think that the key to learning to hunt elk is to start with the attitude that taking a cow would be great. The bulls will come in time, after learning to hunt. I've taken twice as many cows as bulls.

KC

IC B3

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

txhunter58:

I don't bugle because I don't hunt during the rutt. I carry a cow call on a string around my neck so I can get to it quickly. I only use it ocasionally but I have called bulls to me using just a couple of squeeks.

KC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know most people give up too soon when on a fresh track, or at least I have too often. I have yet to have a tracking job that took less than four hours to actually catch up to the elk, and that's when I thought I was on a hot track. I think some people aren't confident enough with their pursuit, and get afraid that they'll hike too far, or we think the elk are further than originally thought. If something told you that was a hot track, stay with it. But for me, as soon as they get on an old game trail where there are additional tracks, I can't stay with the original track.
I also think that when you have good visibility it doesn't hurt to walk as quickly as you can to catch up to them. And if you don't have the wind, you're screwed, and I don't really know what to do about that.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E

KC-actually when I was referring to hung up bulls I meant those bulls that will show to calling & hang back in that 60yd to 100yd range, we bowhunters seem to get that a lot, of course we work on ways to avoid it & combat it both, I thought maybe you had some light that you may be able to shed on it?

I too have nothing against taking cows at all, I've taken a few myself & enjoy them throughout the winter & spring as great table fare! (grin)

I do see now from your additional posts that you are primarily a rifle hunter, I was unaware of that! Thanks!

ElkNut1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Tracking is fun and effective...but has its downfalls if your hunting for a really big bull(without getting to see him first). I know a lot of whopper bulls have feet to match but thats not always the case as was demonsrtated with this small 6 point a friend and I tracked all day and finally caught up to. I tried to talk him out of killing him but he had to do it...out of frustration....grin!! Plus he had me with him to help backpack it 7 miles back to the trailhead...laffin!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Good post KC--and very appropriate in this gearhead world....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One essential in planning - which is the foundation of a successful hunt and starts as soon as the last season ends - is to have snow on the ground during your hunt.

Elk success and snow on the ground are like peas and carrots for me.

I love following tracks in snow.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by exbiologist
If something told you that was a hot track, stay with it. But for me, as soon as they get on an old game trail where there are additional tracks, I can't stay with the original track.

And if you don't have the wind, you're screwed, and I don't really know what to do about that.

ex:

I think if I ever get the chance I will stay on a hot track until I drop. I have tracked for as long as four hours but, like you say, they always seem to get lost in with a bunch of other tracks.

I like to hunt into the wind. On a few ocasions I have smelled them before I saw them. But I can't always follow tracks into the wind. Sometimes they're just going the wrong way.

KC

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

siskyous6:

Man you're right planning is real important. But we have to know how we are going to hunt to plan properly. I often plan for several contingencies. I almost always setup a base camp and many times I will leave the base camp and backpack into another area. So I have to plan for both scenarios. Sometimes I sit point. Sometimes I sneak through the dark timber. Sometimes I do both in the same day.

Sometimes I setup team sweeps with my fellow hunters and that takes lots of planning, communicatioins and coordination.

One of the most important aspects is planning on how I'm going to get the animal out after I kill it.

Yep. Tracking is best in the snow. I can track pretty well if there's mud or soft sand but if the ground is dry and hard I have trouble following the often very subtle signs.

KC

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Another "art" is to find elk with all the other hunters in the woods. By studing aerial photos and topo maps and on the ground scouting you have to find those little pockets where the vast majority of people just won't go. Then you have to have the determination to go there no matter way. Course you have to be prepared to get him out if you are successful.

tx:

I just re-read your post. Yep, I like the mean nasty holes where nobody else will go because when there are lots of hunters around it's into those holes where the elk will go and hide. I like to get into a place like that a day or two before the season opens, then sit and wait, no fire, no noise, just hide out like I was an elk. Eventually they will come to me. The big problem with a place like that is getting them out after I kill one. I'm getting too old to pack out elk hind quarters for several miles. So I've started hunting close to where I know I can rent a horse to haul them out.

KC

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KC

I think if I ever get the chance I will stay on a hot track until I drop. I have tracked for as long as four hours but, like you say, they always seem to get lost in with a bunch of other tracks.

I like to hunt into the wind. On a few ocasions I have smelled them before I saw them. But I can't always follow tracks into the wind. Sometimes they're just going the wrong way.

KC

I've ran down lots of elk when the tracking was good (fresh powder), but it's never taken me 4 hours. I mena if it's hot they ain't that far in front of you--especially is there is fresh snow, because they are usually feeding after the storm.

Now, I've tracked wounded elk for 4 hours.....and longer..... cry

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.