Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, maybe not "smoked em" but we did get on a good bite.
A pard and me fished out of Hopedale La. yesterday and caught 30 reds in about two hours along with a few puppy drum.
This was the first trip of the year and was a good one.
Now, does anyone have a good fish taco recipe?
John

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
GB1

raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Does anybody here fish for reds, specks, etc?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There is a good fish taco recipe in the cooking forum, back a couple months IIRC...

And in the olden days when I went to school in NC we called any red under 10 lbs a "puppy drum"..

I love the regional variations in fish names...mudfish, dogfish, grinnel...all the same thing..Crappie ( pronounced Crawpie) Crappy, White Perch...all the same thing...
Menhaden, 'haden, pogies...all the same thing....you get the drift... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here a "puppy" drum is a black drum less than 27".

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yep, will be in Florida next month for 13 days of uninterrupted saltwater fishing!

Being a bachelor has it's advantages! grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by raghorn

-------------------------------------------------------------

I do ,i'm in nw florida right now -the weather has been cold and blowing here -water temps are several degrees below normal for this time of year.
I have fished s.la. many times -inshore and offshore -venice la. to grand isle -absolutely some of the best fishing in the world.
I bought a small boat [gheenoe] to fish with -plan on getting after them hot and heavy soon.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reds on the fly are one of the the most fun things in the world to catch. We had a hayday in Port Sulphur, in Feb 2yrs ago. In two days of fishing, 3 of us boated no less than 50 reds. We were catching 20-30lb reds on 8wts, what a rodeo. I only broke one rod. The smaller ones, 10-12lbs we cooked on the half-shell with butter and lots of lemon with a side of boudin. Dayam!

Hijacking.....ol mike...how is the Gheenoe? I have been eyballing one of those for a while now. Thinking its size may be the cats azz in some of our smaller rivers here. Can you put oarlocks on it and row too? That would be the ticket!

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Smokin' a red fish? Sounds like quite a challange just keepin' 'em lit. Like crawdaddies, you smoke 'em tail first?

Old men like me have trouble holding their water AND wisecracks. smile

Wayne

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Abso-freakin-lutely! Love fishing for reds. Whether they are slots for the grill / fryer or targeting the bulls for sport.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a great day was had.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do. We get more snook than reds in my little part of Florida. I tend to throw them all back, snook that is. The slot size is so small its like hitting the lottery to get a keeper. I got two last summer and tossed them both back. Reds are just about my favorite eating fish. I can see why they almost got fished out.

The reds never really came back very strong in my river after the net ban. I like them broiled myself. No need to fry a fish this good.

I put the fillets on a broiling pan and spread some mayo on them and some italian bread crumbs. Or, I put a little italian salad dressing on them. This also works as a marinade too. Then I just broil them for about 4 min or so, making sure the fish doesn't get too close to the flame. Doesn't take long.

I cook most of my fish this way. I hardy do anything at all to salmon fillets. Maybe a little a little Old Bay, but that's about it. Snook, I prefer to bread and fry.

Last edited by TomSmith; 03/19/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Does this answer your question?
[Linked Image]
Caught 45 reds myself this day in a few hours. Was using fresh dead shrimp. Any where from 12lbs to 2lbs. I had a blast.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Caught these specks out of Big Lake, around Lake Charles, LA. We were fishing off the birds and we were using top water and swim baits. I have a bunch of family in Sulphur, LA still and im hoping i can plan a trip down there when school gets out in May this year.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That last picture smells like fried fish!
My whole family loves fried specks!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I live and fish over in the Panhandle of Florida. Red fishing has been slow but picking up with the warmer weather.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Starting to get the fishing bug myself............mostly fishing Sabine Lake in SE Texas..........so far have caught the big 3. Reds......slots of course, Specs and Flounder.

Have a fresh mess of fish in the fridge now for tomorrow's supper, and will take tomorrow off and try to catch some more!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im headed down to Sulphur,LA May 17th-26th for non stop reds/speck fishin and hog huntin! Cant wait! Will be a much needed break from school before I start my summer job

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few Port Sulphur, LA fish. They aren't afraid of the fly.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My buddies....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DAMN MAN!!!!!!!!! That looks like the Big Lake(Calcasieu Lake)area or maybe Black Lake. Caught a few about the size of the Reds in the last pic down at the Jetties but never in Big lake. Hopefully that will change in a couple weeks!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
HuntKY...I'm gettin REAL tired of tellin' you this buttttt....

YOU SUCK!!! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's a picture of a few fish from last May. We would be catching them now if not for the oil spill!

Attached Images
DSC_0461 (Small).JPG (60.81 KB, 149 downloads)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.