Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Back when there were fewer cartridges to worry about,conversations about the 270 vs the 30/06 raged on;then the cartridge list grew and writers like O'Connor did articles such as that entitled "270, 280, 284",and I remember another by Dr Sam Fadala in Rifle Magazine that was a comparison between the 270 Winchester, the 7 Rem Mag,and the 264 Win Mag.

Today we have more cartridges that occupy the same general ballistic niche that the 270 Winchester used to have by itself,the 7/08 among them.

What I find interesting is that the 270 Winchester seems to always occupy the central theme in all this;and among its' competitors,it consistently outranks them all in sales of rifles,ammo, and general popularity,regardless of the efforts of a lot of marketing gurus.This must be because it works exceedingly well......

While it may be shaded a bit at the top end by larger capacity cartridges,this comes at the price of increased recoil,powder consumption,longer barrels,and even today, rifle weight.OTOH dropping down in powder capacity to 7/08 levels to accomodate a short action means less velocity.Leaning on the little cartridges to make them try to do the same things never made much sense to me,even though I have tried them.

There just aren't many things other than a 270 that you can shoot from a 22" barrel, that won't kick you into next week,blow your eardrums out of your head,fits in a rifle that can weigh 7 pounds all up,and comes close enough to the larger cased magnums in ballistic performance that alot of experts have a hard time telling the difference.

I like both the 270 and the 7/08 but there just isn't any doubt about which one I'd pick if I could only have one.
Hey nsaqam, I still don't see where Bob stated non-militery cartridges, you readin the same post as me?. The ammo sales list I looked at also listed the 30-30 ahead of the .270 which was third, I'm sure individual ammo companys list will vary a little...If you like long actions "more power to Ya" to each his own...............547.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
yep, i'm not going to live that post down...

serves me right for trying to be witty while on my lunch break and running late and not proofreading...

mj: All in fun and thanks for the new name for us to use grin We'll have some fun with that one LOL!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam

The caveat to the 30-06 outselling the .270 is Bob specified NON-MILITARY cartridge.

Yeah, and I did not mention the 30/06 because it sits in a class all its' own,kinda like the 375H&H.And the refernce to the 30-30 may be correct; I wondered the same thing when I read that statement.Nevertheless when we look at REALLY popular cartridges,most are military in origin.

In comparing the 270 to other stuff,I refered to "similar" sub-30's on standard cases.The 270 has a lot of very good competition today,which is why we constantly anguish and compare.When it came out I think just the 256 Newton,7x64, and 7x57 were around.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oldman, That's not all you said about it.

As far as evidence of being a jerk is concerned, your posts cover that quite nicely.

As to evidence concerning your character, How are the classified sales coming along?

That's what I thought.

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
IIRC someone once wrote that it is the most popular and successful non-military cartridge of all times.....and also the most succesful long range cartridge in its class as well,worldwide of course.....

I was wrong in reference to ammo sales but Bob did state the above.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Many mention the 7/08 being potent, that is because of the "sales ballistics" at 400 yards it drops more than it is suppose to because it cannot hold as much powder as it needs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, I guess you proper Southern gentlemen never engage in sarcasm. That apparently has changes from the times back in the day, I spent in GA and MS when the KKK marched in the streets, and our CG at Keesler had to pay us all in $2.00 bills to make the point to the tolerant local establishments that attacking and throwing out black servicemen was not a good idea.
As for my AUCTION sales, they are going quite well. having a GREAT time buying and selling on GunBroker, Gunsamerica as well as the five major auction houses I deal with. Hate to break it to you, but this site's ads (not auctions), while nice, (I bought two scopes and two guns here...you have???) is hardly the only or optimum venue for gun sales and purchases. While the brat pack whined and cried enough to fool Rick, I have quite a group of new friends (you should see my PM inbox) who can grant me access to any ads I might care to look at.
I seem to recall that when I was in GA and MS, we didn't go swimming in the swamps. Do you? Perhaps that's the same common sense that says:"don't go jogging with large predators." EH?
Might I suggest you pack up your jogging togs and come out to Yellowstone in the peak of the blueberry season and jog through the bushes? You'll meet the nicest bears there. (GRIN) or you could trot along with Elk while they are dropping their calves and you might have an identical experience to "the wolf runner".
Perhaps you should rent "Grizzly Man" to get a good look at what fools people infected with the "Bambi syndrome" become.
(Although I must admit to being fonder of bears and wolves than all those nasty snakes, reptiles and insects that inhabit your home turf.)
As for being a jerk...well Argumentum ad Hominem has been along a lot longer than either of us and will no doubt continue as long as people exist who cannot support their debating points with anything other than name calling. (see brat pack)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
funny how you condemn people for name calling and end your post with brat pack.

Is it hard being confused all the time.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Your point is well taken Bob, and yes their are many cartridges available today that do fit the same niche to anguish over...............547.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OM1942, Once again your shrill, little outburst lightens up the thread with a bit of humour. Do you think that JOC wrote those articles and made those rifle comparisons, etc for free??? The .270 had been around for a while, like the 25-06, but advances in powder formulation is what brought them both into prominence.
When the candy-striper read you the books about JOC, do you remember that he got his performance from the .270 by using a gross overcharge of milsup 4831?? Do you remember that part? Or had you dozed off? Have someone read you his thesis on pressure.
JOC used the .270 as his signature rifle. Most folks around the fire have a favorite rifle. However Jack lived in a very opportune time. Not every kid on the block owned a chrony and I'm gonna guess that the majority of reloaders used something on the order of a Lee Loader, so he could "estimate" velocities and pressures that defies the laws of physics. And who could doubt him? Thus the .270 was lightning in a bottle.
Kinda like the exaggerated claims about the .243 and the 7mag when they came along.
Despite your rabid outburst, I really wasn't tugging on Superman's cape. I was pointing out that JOC was paid to write. And often, he was told what to write about. Live with it.

"not fit to clean his [bleep]" OM1942, if I had to choose from amongst ALL of your childish statements, I would have to pick that one as a top ten contender for the most childish. smile

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HW, it is important for some people to have an example to go by when looking at the conduct of others. The brat pact represents the worst of childish, immature, nasty and off topic posts this site has to offer. I am not calling them a name, I am just identifying their attributes.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
same to you assclown.

not name calling here just identifying your attributes. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No he did not write for free and if you knew anything at all about him, his writing skill far outpace yours.
The implication of your post was clear...that he was shilling the 270 for somebody. Couldn't be that his comments were based on HIS experience now could it.
As for his loads of 4831 being too hot....guess I don't know how many 270s you have owned, but if you think that 60 gr of 4831 behind an old soft cup and core bullet will take apart any M 70, well you have a lot to learn.

I quote:"It was 62 grains of H4831 BUT that was the original surplus 4831 which was much slower burning than what is currently available. The 60 gr load is max with today's H4831."

So much for another "expert" (LAFFIN)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Which one is the best all around round ?
Why be picky? Get 'em both.

"To the contrary, we hunt not to kill. We kill to have hunted." Thanks Jose & JB
"I wouldn't venture out there fellas. This snipers got talent."
" I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
back to the original topic:

how does the 7/08 compare with the 270 win (everything being equal such as barrel length, bullet, powder, amt. of powder, brass, primer, etc.)?

is the only difference the length of the action? or does the 270 out run the 7/08 by more than a few fps?

seems to me unless the speed difference was significant (however you define that), we're just talking a la vs sa preference.

thanks

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
I like my 7mm-08 just fine!! as for 270 its a great cartridge but I don't need it nor will I buy it, just not my cup of tea! wink

Last edited by quackquackbang; 03/16/10.

"I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness".
~ Ted Nugent
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My 270 pushes a 140grn accubond at 3100fps I don't think you can get there with the 7-08 same bullet same weight, and the 270 has a little better BC. Although the 7-08 is enough gun for anything that the 270 will kill. so i guess it boils down to sa vs la

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not even in a 26" barrel will the 7-08 get to 3000 fps with a 140 grain bullet.
Nosler 6 has 2953 as top load for a 140 in the 7-08 in a 26" barrel.
It also shows a 140 out of a 24" .270 to get 3018.

The real results though are the 150 grain 7mm with a SD of .266 Vs. the 140 grain .277 with a SD of .261.
Top load for the 150 7mm is 2869 with a 26" tube.
150 fps with similar SD bullets and a 2" shorter tube is a significant advantage of the .270 over the 7-08.

It is as it's always been, more powder capacity and similar pressure always favors the bigger cartridge.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neither really excite me, but I too am a short action guy and gravitate in that direction. If we were talking a M70 SA with the 3.12" magbox capability, I would say 284 Winchester and enjoy both worlds/attributes of the 7mm-08 and the 270 Win!!

I look back on the early 80s, with fondness, when my buddies and I would have the 270 vs. 30-06 debates in the high school lunchroom!! NEVER got old! We horse-laughed at each other's inability to see which one was actually better! Never got to the bottom of it!! grin

WAR EAGLE!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (808outdoors, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 21 invisible), 14,520 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,984
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.