GB1

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Hook
Way to go, Roland....keep the faith!

Prez my brother...thank you for the encouragement!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ro,

Still praying.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Ro,

Still praying.

ddj

Thanks you Daron, I'm staying strong and determined!

I will keep everyone posted!

Aloha!

Ro

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Also I appreciate the PM's of support and prayers!

Thank you everyone!

aloha!

Ro

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by LateBloomer
Junior1942,

Yep, the cig ads definitely don't tell you that stuff! And I'm the only one in my entire family and friends for that matter that still smokes! Many have given up the habit years ago!

I've been the only foolish one to date, but the time has truly come!

I appreciate your post! Thanks for that grim painted picture that has been a reality for many!
Ro, if you try to quit and start thinking you can't . . . think about that long, slow, and stinky stroll through Wal-Mart.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Man, I wish I could get my brother to quit, he needs some of your guts, and determination, good on you Roland! I'm proud of you man! RustyL

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by meddybemps
I am trying to screw up the courage to kick the damn things. Been smoking a pack a day for nearly 50 years. Gave em up for 3 months last year and then fell off the wagon when the weather warmed up and I got back in the boat to do some fishing. I HAVE to give this another go. Heard that Chantic can work. Tell me more about the Chantix...please.

My wife used Chantix to quit 3 years ago. I think you're supposed to use them for 2 weeks before quitting, she went 3 then stopped. She had no physical desire for a smoke but the habit was hard for her to break. Eat supper and have a smoke became eat supper and ??? She had to find something to do.

If your insurance won't pay for it, shop around, we found quite a difference in prices.

She had no problems with any side effects.

Best of luck to you and Late Bloomer both

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I smoked 1 pack a day until I was 40yrs old. I quit 3 yrs ago and quit cold turkey. If you can get by 1 week with no ciggs, it gets easier after that.

Controlling your thoughts is the key. Your mind will play games with you! For instance... One more cigg, cigars are ok, only on the weekends, only when I drink, ect.

Basically you gotta quit period. Do not let the nicotine thoughts control you Latebloomer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by meddybemps
I am trying to screw up the courage to kick the damn things. Been smoking a pack a day for nearly 50 years. Gave em up for 3 months last year and then fell off the wagon when the weather warmed up and I got back in the boat to do some fishing. I HAVE to give this another go. Heard that Chantic can work. Tell me more about the Chantix...please.

It will help quite a bit. You take it for a week while you still smoke as you let it get into your system. The difference with Chantix than other anti smoking aida is that it blocks your desire for nicotine. After a week you quite.

Now for the reality. Quitting smoking is the most God awful thing imaginable. I love smoking, absolutely love it. Is Chantix going to make you all of a sudden forget about smokes,...not even close.

It's going to suck, you'll sweat, you'll get mean and you'll get fat. I can't think of anything less pleasant.

But,...

You'll be able to take in a deep breath without hacking up green schitt. You'll walk up a hill and feel like you are 25. You'll smell things in a way you haven't smelled them since you were younger. You're little buddy will be a little more active.

Trust me, you'll want to smoke and you'll struggle. But if you can concentrate on remembering how God awful you felt when you smoked and how good you feel once you quit, you'll stand a better chance of giving it up for good.

If all else fails, get mean. Real mean. And treat cigarettes as your enemy. Look at a pack of cigarettes and curse 'em. Spit at 'em. piss on 'em. anything to get your mind focused on cigarettes being the enemy.

Good luck to all you unlucky SOB's who are gonna try and quit. Wish you all the best.

IC B3

REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Way to go Roland.......It would not hurt to go get a stress test. Its better to know your heart condition ahead time than to have a suprise....

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Good for you Roland-

I gave up Marlboro Reds after 24 years and Copenhagen after 17 years ( yes ,at one point I did both at the same time) now I dont do either one.It took having to have an Ablation done to convince me it was time to quit,soon there after my wife gave up the cigs too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am all for ANYONE quitting smoking!

I have never smoked in my life, not even interested in trying it..

Yet I've always been 'Mr Nice Guy' when around smokers, instead of being like all the other people who hassle them about it...

So my rewards of being "Mr. Nice Guy"...at 57, I am one of those people you hear about who has respiratory problems, from years of exposure to second hand smoke....

Personally I think taking up smoking is one of the dumbest things a person can do... and quitting it is the smartest thing one can do after starting it..

Not trying to piss anyone off, but having respiratory problems courtesy of other people's vises, and not speaking up or wanting to offend anyone in the past, wasn't evidently the smartest thing for me to do either..

I've always hated being around the damn things.. and now really hate being around them...

So good luck... you may end up help saving the health of those around you also....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
December 8,2010,08:30 hrs.,I put out the last cigarette.I smoked for over 50yrs,and was smoking around 4 packs of Winston 100's a day when I said this is insane and this has to stop.I haven't touched one since then.I know it's only been a short time since I stopped,but I believe its over.Hang in there you can make it.BTW,I've gone for chest X-Ray and pulmonary function test,the Doctor asked if I have ever been a smoker,said my tests looked great with no evidence of having been a smoker.Thank GOD!

Last edited by shameless; 03/17/10.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How are you doing???

Keep this in mind my dad smoked for years and years...
He's feet had no blood circulation... He's feet and up his calf's to his knees's were Purple...
Yeap Purple
The Dr's. would look at him and say nothing we can do... Your piping/veins are shot... He would have lived to be 100 and still driving if he didn't smoke...

This is the hardest thing you will do...

It's a second to second fight each day for about 2 years... I smoked cigs for years 17 give or take..Good luck and don't stop fighting...

Last edited by Cigar; 03/17/10.

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FWIW I tried to quit a few times, and apparently didnt really want to...
Then came the day when I just plain didnt want to smoke anymore.

Mot wanting to smoke is a whole different ballgame than wanting to quit...
It was easy.... I hope thats where you are..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man my biggest support to ya!! You will be amazed after you have quit, to learn what you actually smelled like to others including the deer, let alone the fact that your puffers will jump right back in on the long hills.

Mark my words that after a month or so of being quit someone will approach you and will know immediately that they are a smoker just from their smell , so do the deer!!

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LateBloomer: Hope it's still going well. 1Minute

1Minute
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
As a smoker with 74 days of quit under my belt I am still amazed by comments ant-smoking zealots make. Just last night I met a friend to have a birthday drink with and shoot the breeze. A lady came over to our table and asked us to sign a petition to help outlaw smoking in all city drinking establishments. Some bars are doing it voluntarily already. The owner of the dive and employees are smokers and it is one of two in town where you can even smoke cigars. Bottom line is, people make their own choices. If they don't want to go into a place like that don't go. People are surprised when they ask me if I am a smoker and I tell them yes, then have to explain that it's like being a alcholic. Once you are you always are.
I applaud any of you who are quiting or trying to quit. It came down to me getting mad and disgusted at myself enough and thinking I may not be around my grandsons long enough to see them grow up.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
LateBloomer,
Thought I would share my experience, it's a mind set thing!
The unsuccesful way: I had tried several times to quit and I would string it along bumming one occasionally from a friend after dinner etc. and it would go on for months and I would eventually give up and continue.

The success: Eventually I decided that I was going to just live with the feeling of needing a smoke, no matter how bad or how long that urgency was just going to be a part of life.
I was surprised after only about 3 weeks of complete cold turkey, the urges started easing up a bit. In what seemed like a very short time after that, maybe a couple of months, I knew I had pulled through and only rarely had the urge after that.
So, my advice naturally is it's a mental position first, and the physical will eventually fall in line with your decision.
CONGRATUALATIONS on your step to health.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 280shooter, 2500HD, 37 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,818
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.