Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

There are three common ways that good bullets get a bad reputation I believe - maybe more:

3. Some folks combine what they don't see - bullets which pass through leaving smallish exits- with what they hear and believe what they think they ought to. I think the original X got a bad performance rep this way based on less "pencils" than what people were thinking they saw. Mostly even they worked just like most Failsafes: splendidly, in spite of the rather small four-cornered exit through the hide. And Partitions can also do a similar thing. Combine that skinny hole with placement that isn't perfect and voila', "it's a bad bullet".

Time for my meds; gack-attack.

While I agree with everything you said, I have to say the X bullets may have gotten their reputation for unreliable expansion honestly, at least in part, by providing unreliable expansion.

Here�s a summary of my very limited experiences with X bullets:

1. Dropped a coyote at 100 yards with my 7mm RM and a 160g XLC running 3020fps at the muzzle, estimated impact at 2840fps. The coyote dropped like a stone. On examination I found no blood and no entrance or exit wounds (I did not skin it). Many times I have joked I merely scared it to death. Still scratching my head on that one, looked like zero expansion.

2. Dropped a second coyote with the same load, range about 50 yards, estimated impact 2930fps. Hit it on the run, broadside, taking out a section of the spine and leaving a �U� shaped channel wound. Looked like instant expansion on impact.

3. Dropped a buck antelope with the same load at 297 yards, estimated impact 2500fps. Two through the chest cavity left a very sick antelope. It laid down but kept its head up as if sunning itself. I spent 15 minutes circling around for a closer shot and as I got to about 75 yards the antelope struggled to its feet and tried to walk off. A third bullet hit the ribs on a quartering away shot, taking the top of the heart. On inspection the first two wound channels showed very little sign of expansion while the third looked more probable.

My intent was to use the 160g XLC�s for elk that season. Instead I fell back on my old Grand Slam load (and took two elk with them, a 5x5 and a cow). Since then I have developed loads for the TSX and banished the XLC�s to the target range. So far I have yet to take anything with a TSX and have had hesitancy to use it due to my experiences with the XLC�s and the occasional report of TSX failing to expand. Instead I have been switching to the MRX and TTSX. One antelope with the TTSX (.308 Win, 168g TTSX) and some testing with water jugs has provided me with more confidence in the tipped versions.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my Sako 338 win with 225 grain TSX.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
There is an outfitter in the area I hunt and I know some of the guides and packers quite well.They have bad mouth the Partitions for a lot of years. They claim most of thier long tracking jobs stem from partitions. Don't know,but that is what they claim.

There are three common ways that good bullets get a bad reputation I believe - maybe more:

1. Some people assume that a good bullet somehow forgives the errors of poor shooting. When they are used - on guided hunts in this case- and they don't do well, who's going to blame the "money" - in this case the client?

2. Some people, perhaps using a bullet early in their experience, misinterpret what they see and blame, obviously, the bullet. (Hey, it doesn't look like the ones in the mag ads and articles.)

3. Some folks combine what they don't see - bullets which pass through leaving smallish exits- with what they hear and believe what they think they ought to. I think the original X got a bad performance rep this way based on less "pencils" than what people were thinking they saw. Mostly even they worked just like most Failsafes: splendidly, in spite of the rather small four-cornered exit through the hide. And Partitions can also do a similar thing. Combine that skinny hole with placement that isn't perfect and voila', "it's a bad bullet".

Klikitarik
I think your right.

Guide school mentioned field reports from wounded elk that were later recovered and dissected. Finding high and aft of the real bread-basket shots can do very little damage to a somewhat shock-prof bull elk.

There is a spot just above the lungs, and below the spinal-cord that a bullet or a broadhead can pass and the elk will not die immediately.

Here is a picture borrowed from: Rrifle-Accuracy-Reports.com that can give you an idea of what can go wrong.

[Linked Image]

As it shows the gap above the lungs, the picture also shows how much lung and liver a bull elk has, a shot to the rear portion of the lung or a shot more towards the liver will not be a quick kill.

[Linked Image]

The best scenario for good shot placement of the bullet is when the animal is positioned broadside or slightly quartering away and the bullet placed into the high shoulder area (#3) hitting the shoulder blade (scapula) and part of the spine (see skeletal picture). Or placing bullet right on the middle of shoulder (#2) attempting to break BOTH shoulders and lungs, or just behind the shoulder into the heart/lung area (#1).

I really enjoyed there web site, hope no one minds me giving them a plug here?

Last edited by K_Salonek; 05/25/09.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now the problem with hunting bull elk in the high country on Public land, is that a hunter seldom gets the so called "Broadside Presentation" to put a bullet into. I have come upon elk in the dark timber and you better be quick to shoulder that rifle and get the shot off or it's gone over the mountain.

Also hunting with lighter caliber and putting shots on the shoulder of a bull elk is a path to hunting failure in many cases. Bullets can and do strange things when they contact large bones. I have even seen the results of a premium bullet out of a 30-06 strike a bull elk's shoulder and end up going South toward the hindquarters.

This is one reason years ago, I stopped using the .270 caliber on bull elk, it limits one's limitations. I perfer the .338 caliber with heavy bullet to bust through an elk's shoulder. You also mess up more meat this way but that is the hunters choice I suppose.

I certainly do belive that "Poor Shot Placement" is the cause of many elk not being found after the shot. As the picture shows, if you don't put that bullet in that 12 inch kill zone close to the heart, your chances become greater for a lost animal. I always tell younger hunters to aim 1/3 up from the brisket in back of the leg/shoulder for your shot. If you put that bullet near the heart he will go done for the count.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

While I agree with everything you said, I have to say the X bullets may have gotten their reputation for unreliable expansion honestly, at least in part, by providing unreliable expansion.

Here�s a summary of my very limited experiences with X bullets:

1. Dropped a coyote at 100 yards with my 7mm RM and a 160g XLC running 3020fps at the muzzle, estimated impact at 2840fps. The coyote dropped like a stone. On examination I found no blood and no entrance or exit wounds (I did not skin it). Many times I have joked I merely scared it to death. Still scratching my head on that one, looked like zero expansion.

2. Dropped a second coyote with the same load, range about 50 yards, estimated impact 2930fps. Hit it on the run, broadside, taking out a section of the spine and leaving a �U� shaped channel wound. Looked like instant expansion on impact.

3. Dropped a buck antelope with the same load at 297 yards, estimated impact 2500fps. Two through the chest cavity left a very sick antelope. It laid down but kept its head up as if sunning itself. I spent 15 minutes circling around for a closer shot and as I got to about 75 yards the antelope struggled to its feet and tried to walk off. A third bullet hit the ribs on a quartering away shot, taking the top of the heart. On inspection the first two wound channels showed very little sign of expansion while the third looked more probable.

My intent was to use the 160g XLC�s for elk that season. Instead I fell back on my old Grand Slam load (and took two elk with them, a 5x5 and a cow). Since then I have developed loads for the TSX and banished the XLC�s to the target range. So far I have yet to take anything with a TSX and have had hesitancy to use it due to my experiences with the XLC�s and the occasional report of TSX failing to expand. Instead I have been switching to the MRX and TTSX. One antelope with the TTSX (.308 Win, 168g TTSX) and some testing with water jugs has provided me with more confidence in the tipped versions.

Coyote
Why would you hunt a yote, with a heavy for caliber elk bullet and expect lots of expansion. While the X series have been nothing but impressive to me from 50 yards or so out to just over 800, you were shooting a bullet that was designed to take some resistance to expand... And that was/is the reason for differing bullets for different size animals. I wouldn't want a quick expansion one on an elk.

The antelope wasn't much different IMHO. 70 pounds vs 500 plus for the use of the bullet.

Of course you hit bone with that bullet instead of much of nothing of resistance and it'll usually help expand the bullet.

Your results are about exactly what I'd have expected.

For yotes I don't think you need an X, but if so I"d have certainly been thinking fast 120.....

As to my results, I'm pleased since the mid 90s IIRC, mabye early 90s... Caliber in entry, and double or so size, nothing huge on exits but I can't recall ever recovering one, even from a lung shot and a spine shot at 802 on a caribou. Both of which expanded.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Being in the hunting business for longer than I care to admit and having observed and/or used the Nosler partitions on more animals than I care to admit, I would say that anyone that tells me the Nosler partition is a poor bullet it just blowing off steam and has no real experience or has a hidden agenda..

The Nosler, as any gun looney, gun scribe, or any well informed guide will tell you is the bullet by which all others are judged by.

Being and outfitter or PH doesn't necessarily make one an expert on bullets or firearms, I know a bunch of guides and PHs that are basically farmers by trade and just do the hunting to make ends meet. They are not good shots, they are not bullet diggers, and a rifle is a tool and is treated as such.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

Coyote
Why would you hunt a yote, with a heavy for caliber elk bullet and expect lots of expansion. While the X series have been nothing but impressive to me from 50 yards or so out to just over 800, you were shooting a bullet that was designed to take some resistance to expand... And that was/is the reason for differing bullets for different size animals. I wouldn't want a quick expansion one on an elk.

The antelope wasn't much different IMHO. 70 pounds vs 500 plus for the use of the bullet.

Of course you hit bone with that bullet instead of much of nothing of resistance and it'll usually help expand the bullet.

Your results are about exactly what I'd have expected.

For yotes I don't think you need an X, but if so I"d have certainly been thinking fast 120.....

As to my results, I'm pleased since the mid 90s IIRC, mabye early 90s... Caliber in entry, and double or so size, nothing huge on exits but I can't recall ever recovering one, even from a lung shot and a spine shot at 802 on a caribou. Both of which expanded.

rost495 �

Why? Curiosity, lack of any experience with the bullet.

I don�t want a quick expansion bullet on elk either unless the expansion is well controlled and limited. Kind of like the X, TSX, TTSX, MRX, A-Frame, Partition, North Fork, Trophy Bonded, etc.

After the coyote and antelope I didn�t feel comfortable with the old �X� on elk. Still have some I�m ringing gongs with � Midway had some cannelured XLCs for sale at something like $11 a box, returns from a manufacturer or something.

On the other hand, TTSX at .308 Win velocities have, on a sample of one antelope, demonstrated they open can very fast. I�m sticking with them and MRX wherever possible, TSX when not, and North Fork for the .45-70, 7mm RM and .300 WM until I run out.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One reason I like big rifles is that you can use a softer bullet.

For instance, the 225 Accubond from my friends .338 has absolutely flattened the two elk he shot with it- at roughly 300 years each, too.

The two I shot with my .325 (which is a borderline "big" rifle I guess) also were very quickly kilt.

Were I to use a "small" rifle, I'd start looking pretty hard at the X series of bullets. When you got some real overkill workin' for you, you can opt for a softer, quicker-killing bullet.

Just yappin' here... let's not get in a TSX fight <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
This is meant to be a somewhat lighthearted rebuttal to what seems to be almost a backlash against larger rifles, even for what would be condsidered "large" game animals such as elk. I've read a number of threads (not just on the 'Fire) where you'd swear there was almost a competition to see who can tout the smallest caliber as being all that is needed to cleanly take elk at, say, out to a light year, give or take. Something along the lines of:

"Dang guys, I've been loading up neutrons over .0000001 grains of H4350 for years and filling my tag. Anybody that needs more than that obviously can't hunt well enough to get close and/or is trying to overcompensate for poor marksmanship."

Ok, maybe not quite that but I bet you know what I mean.

Look, I understand the concept of "adequate" and there's not really a functional use for the word "deader" but I think more...now stay with me here I beg...can, under certain circumstances CAN be better. Let me indulge myself enough to throw this out there:

Who here would hunt, say, a Cape Buff with a .243? Why not? Wait wait sit down please! Seriously, why not? Because you don't necessarily think the cartridge is up to the task? Ok, fine, me neither. How about an '06? I will say right now I have absolutely no doubt that the '06 has killed Cape Buffalo. No, I can't cite examples but I doubt anybody else thinks it hasn't been done. Does that make an '06 "adequate" for Cape Buffalo? The late Larry Kelly killed pretty much anything that breathes oxygen...with a .44 magnum handgun. That includes the African Big Five. So a .44 will kill an elephant? Yep. Would I attempt it? Umm, no. (say guys, I must have left something back in the 'Rover, I'll be right back...not) So, if something smaller CAN kill something why would anybody ever use something larger? I think there's two reasons.

First, "larger" isn't necessarily accurate to begin with. A .300 Wby is no larger a caliber than a 30/30 but it does shoot things of that caliber lots faster. This can be a huge aid in hitting something. I loooove flat trajectory. My first rifle was a 30/30, my second was a 7mm Rem Mag. It was just silly. Ranging essentially ceased to be an issue. Point, bang, flop, clean. But for this discussion lets say the point two of bigger isn't "just" trajectory but delivering more in and of itself. I respectfully submit that the reason people tend to use, we'll say "plenty" of gun on grizzlies/cape buff and such is because somehow "adequate to kill" doesn't seem to make you feel warm and fuzzy. In fact your mind goes to the possibility of being gored/stomped on/clawed/chewed on BY something warm and fuzzy. So, again, exactly why are you carrying that .338/.340/.375/.416/.45-70? Do you expect things of it the other (lesser?) cartridges do not? If not, you're carrying them why? So...

Does whatever real or perceived advantages of those bigger cartridges simply not apply to game like elk? Perhaps it's just the fact that when things don't go exactly as planned you aren't breaking into a cold sweat and beginning to really worry about more than a long tracking job or getting a carcass out of some nasty stuff? Again, respectfully, I submit that what you're feeling when you consider what is "adequate" for elk being a whole lot less than what you would consider for a brown bear is "margin for error", or MFE. Being on the bad side of MFE with an elk is another world entirely than for a big bruin. So I put it to you, is an elk less deserving of the MFE?

OK, and now for my concessions;
I love my .340 but yeah, it kicks. It's also on the heavier side. Then again, I've got no interest in shooting a 6.5lb .340. As I grow older though it isn't the recoil as much as lugging the thing around.

It's still sinking into my head how good modern bullets have become. Less really can do more than what you once might have needed. (ok, I said it)

My last rifle purchase was a little Tikka T3 Light Stainless in...308. God help me it's wonderful.

Ok dammit! Concessions over! C'mon you Weatherby people! You .338 "anything on the continent with this one rifle" people! You guys in the woods with your 45-70's and 450's! Let me hear you!!!

Yup....this is the stuff campfires were made for.....sitting around after a day of hunting.....chatting about previous hunts.....sipping a bit of (possibly) Crown Royal and telling lies about your previous edventures......LOL

It will go on as long as people go hunting....

It's fun now to listen to the youngsters take up the "chat" and just sit back and smile.....sooner or later they will ask ya...."Ain't that right uncle Jack?"

Hell, if Ray Atkinson used to kill elk with a .25-35 then I used to do it with a .25-20.....and I conveniently whip out my photos of my .25-20 on Safari in Africa!.....(that gets em every time!!!)

It's not about the gun folks....it's about the memories.....and not the ones you have.....the ones you instill in others!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now why not hunt Cape Buff with a .243 Winchester? Ummmm got to think just a minute or two on that one! Well, first off I know the caliber will not meet lawful standards in Africa. Now the other reason is because Cape Buffalo have overlapping ribs and the blessed bullet from a .243 would never penetrate.

The third reason is that the Buff would most likely regard that bullet striking it's flesh as a tick or fly! The most important reason is that I would wish to be able to go on hunting trips down the road after seeking out that Cape Buff with my .243 Winchester and that would probably never happen.

Last edited by Tonk; 05/27/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, in the light of a campfire....

How hungry would be hungry enough to keep you from trying to eat a Cape Buffalo before you eat a coyote, if all you had was a .243 ?

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
So, in the light of a campfire....

How hungry would be hungry enough to keep you from trying to eat a Cape Buffalo before you eat a coyote, if all you had was a .243 ?

...bout a half day hungry and a well placed shot.

Capes is tasty... Best damm'd prime rib I have ever eated.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I was hungry a .243 would not stop me from using it.
I just do not know why I would have a .243
If I had one of those things in my hands That would mean Hunger was not a stranger to me.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm coming in kind of late on this topic but it's one near and dear to my heart.

I believe in using the rifle/cartridge that will kill the game being hunted DRT in any situation from any angle with one well placed shot. I've seen too many FUBAR situations where a bigger cartridge, pushing a heavier and better constructed bullet, faster would have saved a long tracking job.

For elk that means a 375H&H or a minimum of a 350 Win Mag and the 338 mags are also excellent.

For big mulies I really like the various 300 Mags and a the 7 Mag is a good choice as well.

For northern bruiser trophy whitetail I like the same rifles as for mulies.

For southern and midwestern whitetails outside of the cornbelt I like the 308 Win and 7mm-08 with 140-165gr premium bullets.

My "do all rifles" are the 300 and 7mm versions of the Remington Short Action Ultra Mags as they can shoot light fast bullets for smaller big game right up to the big Partitions for the bruisers and fit in short actions and use fast burning powders and get great velocity in short barrels.

Carry enough rifle/cartridge is my mantra but I favor the ultra-light rifles that are short and have serious optics like the Elite 6500 scopes or Elite 4200's in less demanding conditions/situations.

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first big game rifle was a Marlin 336 30-30. My Second was a Ruger 77 338. Since that timeI have loved the .338 bullets and other than my 45-70 the 338 is all I use.
Getting kind of old now and find that I'm often pushing the .338s out of less powerful and lighter rifles.
I can still enjoy the full power Winchester Mags, and dig one of them out from tme to time, but with a lot more years experience I know I can now do everything I need to do with a 338-06 and often with a 338-08.
The Marlin 1895GS 45-70 pushing 400 grains at over 1800 fps gives me about all I can handle these days but when I find myself at the bottom of a narrow canyon where I might come up on somthing big and toothy at close range, that big old 45 gives me lots of comfort.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would suspect that your grandfather realized soon afterward, that hunting with a 30-06 was quite a thrill and was the One Gun hunts all things on this planet back in those days.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
One thing about rifles, we all have an opinion. My first few Elk were taken with a 30-06 and 220 grain bullets; this is what my father gave me to hunt with. When I had my own job I went with a 338 Winchester magnum. The rifle was great for Elk, but the 30-06 killed them just as well. I took a few with the full length magnum .338 caliber and again, it did the job well. I also used a 7mm Remington once and it did a good jib. I settled with a 300 Winchester magnum when I started hand loading premium bullets.

Now here is something, I had an Indian friend for years who used a 270 Winchester and said anything bigger was a waste. I think all these are good rounds,perhaps you buy a little insurance with a magnum and perhaps nothing replaces hunting experience? I would say have lots of the later and a little of the former and you are ready to go!

Last edited by Charshooter; 03/17/10.

Born Pre-War and Proud of it!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I think that with a good penetrating bullet with enough powder behind it will kill. Sure a FMJ .22 lr round isn't going to kill a cape buffalo (maybe if you shot it in the eye, but who's going to attempt it??). I think that everyone should shoot what they like, if that means using a .505 gibbs on whitetail then why not? As long as it floats your boat, one might say. To sum up what I think, there's no doubt that cartridges like 30-06 have killed many african dangerous game animals... But there is reason rounds like the .458 win mag and alike came around!

Last edited by Dinosaur; 03/18/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree with most of what I've read here. I've not killed as many as some here but have hunted the mountains for some 20+ years and taken about half that number of bulls. Most of my hunts have been low- to medium-priced guided hunts of five days, limited a bit time-wise, and all on public land.

Contrary to what I've read here, many of my opportunities, when they came, came at fairly long distance; let's say longer than 350 yds. and often with most of the day gone. Had I not been prepared to take those shots, there are at least four bulls I can remember I would have not taken.

I don't care what anyone uses as long as it's legal. When younger I took the ubiquitous American attitude that "bigger is better"; I now realize that's not true (in many more walks of life than what rifle to use for elk).

I took most with my .340, a semi-custom, semi-beat up rifle now that I know how to shoot. I like it but like the originator of this thread, I'm beginning to find its 8.5 lbs a bit objectionable about mid-hunt. I now have a 8lb 350 RM and even better, a 6.25 lb 284, that will compete strongly to go on my next hunt, Lord-willing, there is one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two often repeated chestnuts come to mind here:

"A good big gun is better than a good small gun provided one can shoot it."

"The best elk rifle is whatever the best elk hunter has in his hands."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.