Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'm of the opinion that even the old 240 gr., soft swagged original factory .44 Mag loads will shoot through a bear's skull as well. I remember that Elmer Keith tested them on the much harder and thicker steer face plates with complete success. E

Now let's not let facts ruin a perfectly good harang...........

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My hunting load is 20 gr 2400, 250 gr Keith, Win Brass , CCI 300 primers. If i was carrying a backup for Bear this would be the load i would use.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bea175
My hunting load is 20 gr 2400, 250 gr Keith, Win Brass , CCI 300 primers. If i was carrying a backup for Bear this would be the load i would use.

I have used that bullet with 23 grains of 2400 and was less than impressed with that bullet on Bull Carribou or Deer. It will kill them but leaves a smaller wound channel than I like to see

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I too used to use 250 grain Keiths and a stiff charge of 2400, but have long since moved on to the better LBT-style bullets with much larger meplats and heavier weights, and now I only burn 296 in my .44s. Kill enough game with both and you'll see that we have made some strides forward. I personally prefer much heavier bullets in .44 -- all else being equal (nose profile), the heavier bullet will penetrate deeper.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The heavier & better designed 44 slugs we have these days is better & I use them more all the time but I've never had a problem with the 250 Keiths in the 44 magnum or the 260 Keith in the Ruger 45's, they've always done an excellent job for me on deer, elk, bears, hogs, antelope & lion.
The thing I really like about the heavier LBT style slugs is their accuracy ability at long range, I don't shoot game at long range but love to whack rocks, dirt clods, etc...or badgers & rock chucks.

Dick

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well I have lots of experience with bears(black ones).At last count I had been present when more than a 100 were shot from point blank to 100 yards.Someone asked me to come share what I have learned.I have seen them shot with every caliber imaginable.I have killed bears with JHPs and kieths but will never try it again.I have learned better.If your load is for defense the biggest metaplat and heaviest weight you can shoot well.The 629 will serve you good if loaded correctly.Someone said a bears skull ain't that tough,I disagree I have seen several so called good handgun calibers ride the scalp and some literally richochet.And someone else said if you have a rifle why a handgun,rifles don't guarentee your safety and I have tracked plenty through these NC swamps shot with those so called "ultimate calibers in rifles".If for hunting my opinion doesn't change.I know I can't out run a small cub in these swamps and it would take them less time to catch you in open country.For what its worth blackies get big here.The state record was killed a few years ago 880lbs.And big or small they can all outrun any human,how much do you value your own life?Because that's what you will have to depend on should things get ugly.Some folks say black bears aren't agreessive,care to bet you life on it?I wouldn' and have seen different,but this is JMO.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
You are correct about a bears skull, they are hard & a soft lead bullet is going to get you in trouble. Elmer Keith described a couple of little treatsies where he tried to finish off a bull elk with soft slugs & it almost got him killed. If you are messing with any big game animal you had better use the right gun & load.
My comment about needing a sixgun for backup when bear hunting is because everyone seems to have this image in their mind of a bear taking the rifle away & they have to duke it out on the ground with a handgun. If the rifle is used correctly there's no need for a backup gun. Having said that, I don't own a rifle or a shotgun, its sixguns or nothing for me, I too have been in on many bears & none were in a tree or shot over bait, everyone has been spot & stalk, you don't take chances & you get the job done right.
Also you are right about big bears in the southern US & also in states like PA, they kill some monster bears every year, I think the food available is better than here in the west, also the bears are probably out longer, out here are bears are gone by november, sometimes earlier.
Sometimes we kill some very large bears here. This spring bear measured 7' 9", it was taken last year by one of my son's, it weighed on the plus side of 400 lbs but had been sleeping for 5 months, no telling what it would have weighed in the fall.

[Linked Image]

Dick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldman1942
I am complimented that one of the chief members of the brat pack (elkhunter wannabe) thinks so much of my post that he reposts my post adding his bobble headed bimbo who sits in the rear window of his 63 Rambler. They all left town with the rig pigs, guess they found a new home in the mythical town EHG hangs his derby in.
Funny how he claims to be from WY but can't seem to getting around to finishing his profile......what's he hiding? "the world wonders."

Now Tonk, I could probably get 3 two ounce slugs in that bear by the time you found the bear in your scope and got off one shot.
And of course my 329 in on a lanyard and in an El Paso tanker holster. The rule of 7Ps says that I might not be on the horse, the horse might toss me and, in either case, the 10 bore would be in the scabbard on the horse. Anyone who thinks a 300 gr Hardcast backed by 18.5 of H110 would not penetrate a bear's skull has a case of DNS.

The bullschit in your post is so deep I have to wear hipboots to read it. You really are liar24 aren't you.

The blonde is an imitation of your babbling.

What? you perusing my profile now? You my very own stalker now? What you want to know my little bish? I as well as a few others own you! You can't resist a response.

As far as any experience with handguns at all I would be willing to bet the closest you have been to a 329 is that stock pic you posted. When they open grizzly season in Wyoming I want to be there to film you running at the first sight of a bear.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Idaho1945 you are right in the sense "if used correctly".But I have seen some good rifleman got to **** when they are on the ground with in feet of them.No bait here,just hounds,but big bears here prefer bays and luarel thickets to trees.And crawling in on a bear using the path he used takes a little different approach.I wish we could spot and stalk,I'd like to try it someday but for now it'll be down and dirty.Nice color!That I definately wish we had.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
J
JLM Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by oldman1942
I am complimented that one of the chief members of the brat pack (elkhunter wannabe) thinks so much of my post that he reposts my post adding his bobble headed bimbo who sits in the rear window of his 63 Rambler. They all left town with the rig pigs, guess they found a new home in the mythical town EHG hangs his derby in.
Funny how he claims to be from WY but can't seem to getting around to finishing his profile......what's he hiding? "the world wonders."

Now Tonk, I could probably get 3 two ounce slugs in that bear by the time you found the bear in your scope and got off one shot.
And of course my 329 in on a lanyard and in an El Paso tanker holster. The rule of 7Ps says that I might not be on the horse, the horse might toss me and, in either case, the 10 bore would be in the scabbard on the horse. Anyone who thinks a 300 gr Hardcast backed by 18.5 of H110 would not penetrate a bear's skull has a case of DNS.

Jesus H man....I looked up 'soup sandwich' in the Encyclopedia and found a picture of you Larry.

If you are going to bust on someone, can you at least keep things straight? I realized you are about ready to kick the bucket, and senile dementia has taken hold, but [bleep] dude....get it together....

I don't recall EHG (a distinct entity from this Elkhunter cat, who now seems to be a target of your inane ramblings, but I digress) ever claiming to be from ANYWHERE.

Fill out your profile? What is this, [bleep] Courtesy Class?

Last edited by JLM; 03/17/10. Reason: sp
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have used that bullet with 23 grains of 2400 and was less than impressed with that bullet on Bull Carribou or Deer. It will kill them but leaves a smaller wound channel than I like to see

Length of barrel counts for a lot with 2400. In a 4 inch 40% of 2400 goes unburned.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 03/18/10.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Originally Posted by jwp475

Length of barrel counts for a lot with 2400. In a 4 inch 40% of 2400 goes unburned.

40% where did you get that figure.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the 40% unburned:
It could have been a Gun Digest or Handloader article. The author put tarp down, and fired rounds over it. The residue would burn.
I then started to look at H110 and 296.

I'm going to look now.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Handloader Sep-Oct 1971 (issue 33) page 35.

"Component Compatibility for Peak Efficiency" by Richard Underwood.

Sorry it took so long.

17 to over 30% regardless...(Wher is the 40% article?)

Now I have to find the other one.........

FNG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I forget the barrel length of the pistol I'm borrowing, but this is good info for me to keep in mind. I know it's a shorter barrel(maybe 4"?), and I wouldn't want to be blowing unburned propellant out the end. Thanks for your contribution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But maybe the unburned powder is toxic and will aid in the rapid demise of the animal being hunted......just a thought...... grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FNG
I forget the barrel length of the pistol I'm borrowing, but this is good info for me to keep in mind. I know it's a shorter barrel(maybe 4"?), and I wouldn't want to be blowing unburned propellant out the end. Thanks for your contribution.

The powder burn is very quick and complete quickly and has litte to do with barrel lenght within reason. My brother owns a 4 3/4 inch M-83 FA in 454 and it chrono's as fast as mine with it's 6 inch barrel. I'd not get to caught up in this unburned powder/barrel lenght talk

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Its true that the powder is burned in the first few inches of a barrel, when people see the flames coming out the end they turn to their buddy & say, all your powder burned on the outside, what actually happens is the gas reaction when it hits the open air, it can be pretty spectacular with some powders.

Dick

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

+1.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Its true that the powder is burned in the first few inches of a barrel, when people see the flames coming out the end they turn to their buddy & say, all your powder burned on the outside, what actually happens is the gas reaction when it hits the open air, it can be pretty spectacular with some powders.

Dick

Alot of that is the graphite in the powder. IMR does not flash so much.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,661
Posts18,512,878
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.