Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
'Evening, boys.

I'd like your thoughts on the best set-up for a Pre-64 M70 that I traded for recently.

It has a pretty mild Monte Carlo factory stock, which I like plenty well for now. It's a shooter/hunting rifle - not a collector. Stock has been glass/pillar bedded and it shoots well in it, so it will be staying put for the foreseeable future.

This is it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The challenge I'm seeing with it is the high bolt throw. I've got a 40mm Leupy on it right now with medium Weaver quad locks. My gunsmith uses them on his competition rifles and really likes them, and they were cheap and light, and QD's to boot, so I gave them a try. All is well except that it will rub the scope if the bolt is not cycled carefully. The old rifle has been set-up similarly before as evidenced by the shiny line through the bluing on the bolt.

I want to keep the scope low, and the next higher option on Weaver rings jumps a bunch - over .25" - and that will be too high for me.

While I'd like the keep the Weaver bases that came with it don't mind QD's so that I can use the irons, having the scope mounted low trumps all. I'd rather not have to worry about the bolt rubbing the scope - which it will do lightly with the current set-up if cycled with pressure toward the scope. It's not awful, and I'd probably put up with that rather than mounting everything a quarter inch higher, but I'd like to have it low and still clear.

Any suggestions for something a few hundreth's higher than the Weaver Mediums that works well on a 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x40 Leupy on a Pre-64 M70? I've got a 6x42FXIII that may land on it if I can find rings or a ring/base set-up that will be just a hair higher.

Objective end is no problem - it's the high bolt lift that's the challenge.

Thanks,

DJ

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is not unusual to have to grind the bolt handle on a pre 64 a bit to clear a scope. Your rifle is just a shooter so a bit off the handle would not be criminal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not grind the bolt handle on a pre 64 M70 just to clear some particular scopes objective. Find some other way.

Not all scopes have the same shape or diameter oculars. The Leu 2-7 here has a 1.555" diameter. A neat old Redfield Bear Cub on another pre 64 has a ocular diameter of 1.470" and it clears easily. A Leu on another pre 64 which comes close to the bolt but clears it with a Weaver extension front ring.

The Leu 3-9 Compact has an ocular diameter of 1.375". Some say this or that about the Leu. Compact but I like the scope and it fits the little 21h its on so well.

Find some other mounts, scope or stock but please don't cut that bolt.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
DJTex,

Maybe you already know this but you can go on Midway USA's web site and for the weaver-style rings, it lists the height of each set of rings from the top of the base to the bottom of the scope tube. When you first get to their web site, click on "Optics", then in succession click: Rings, 1" (or 30mm rings), Weaver-Style, then whatever height you're interested in (ie, low, medium, etc.). You have to click on each specific ring set to get the height but, once you get the knack, it's fairly quick to do this. The neat thing is that all the weaver-style rings I've looked at are based on the same measurement from the top of the base to the bottom of the scope tube. So, once you find Weaver Quad Lock 4X4 Medium rings (with a listed height of .168") then you can compare what another set of rings height is. To-date I've used this several times and it seems correct for those rings I've ordered, though I can't guarantee 100% accuracy in what is listed. BTW, according to their web site data and assuming you are talking about 1" Weaver-style rings, the next height (high) for the Weaver Quad Lock 4X4 rings are listed as .332" high. This would make the difference between Quad Lock Medium & High to be .164" or about 2.6/16" difference (not quite .25" difference). This is once again assuming their height data is correct. Anyway, you may want to take a look at this site to perhaps find what you're looking for. Good luck.

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the help, guys.

It won't be the end of the world if it rubs once in a while. The more I play with it, the more I'm automatically cycling the bolt where it clears easily. I don't think I'll loan this rifle out, but when I show it off everyone wants to cycle the bolt and play with it, so it does get some other hands on it.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Midway stuff, Retsof - I hadn't checked. I measured a pair of mediums and highs and found a bit over a quarter inch difference, but I wasn't too careful - regardless, it's real close to a qaurter inch, I think. That's just more than I want to raise that scope.

I'll scout around for some slightly higher medium Weaver style rings. I kind of feel they should be steel on this old rifle, even though I like the light aluminum stuff on the Featherweight M70.

I'll find something. May also see what Talley has in LW's - they're my stand-by's, and I doubt I'll quick detatch and use the irons much, anyway.

Thanks again,

DJ

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
DJ, my pick on my pre 64's with synthetic stocks have been talley lows, but like you on a wood stocked gun I prefer steel and choose leupold, the DD setup, which I think is the best looking of the bunch for this classic rifle. Either way the clearence is tight, but I've gotten use to it. But heck, I doubt you ever need a quick follow up shot anyway!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Find some Beuhler 2 piece bases and medium rings . It keeps it in the 1960's era and are one of the strongest mounts ever made.I have 8 sets on my Pre'64 s and the rest have Conetrol.

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Handwerk,

Laffin' on the follow up comment - you're too charitable with your assumptions! Grin...

I do try to make that first one count on deer and more "important" critters - namely the ones going in my freezer! However, I can spray them around pretty good if I get on a bunch of hogs or call in multiples on coyotes. This pretty 308 won't be the first thing I always grab on varmint hunts, but I can see using it a lot where hogs might also present an opportunity. Of course, coyotes sometimes oblige by just showing up when I'm hunting something else. In those situations, I usually consider that they are lookin' for trouble and do my best to accommodate them...grin.

Anyway, I do get some chances to have hope in the heart from lead in the air, so I'd like to have a slick cycle - especially on a rifle that feeds this good! I can't believe how great this rifle feeds.

I like it better every time I mess with it. Feel a little like a kid with new toy!

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Win243. I'll take a look at them.

Been a good while since I've gone to school on a rifle this different from everything else I have.

Even though I've had a handful of Model 70's, this rifle is just in another class, IMHO.

DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about these Talley LWs with a Leupold 3-9 Euro 30mm on a 30-06 M 70 ?

Clears a fat scope even w/flip up caps.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used Buehlers on all of mine except the last one--a .270 Fwt. (I went with the Talley lightweight lows and a 4X Leupold FX II on that one.) Good luck finding Buehler bases. I just got my last M70 custom rifle from the gunsmith in January and he assured me that I have the last set of 2-piece bases in New Mexico! I keep an eye out for them at the gun shows and haven't run across any in several years...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What height LW's are those?

Is the M70 a Pre-64?

Thanks!

DJ

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hmmmm...that doesn't sound too good.

DJ

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
+1 on Buehler's verticle split rings. Strong & beautiful, they'll stay with the period correct theme & be perfectly servicable. Win 70 2 piece bases and 1" rings are available right now on flea-bay and Gunbroker.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 03/18/10.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You could apply a little bit of black cloth electrical tape to the scope or the bolt handle while at the range or in the field.I know that sounds a bit REDNECK,but it would save you some hassle of swapping every thing around,and save you a little $ also.That is if what you have mounted on there now works well for you and it works well on your rifle,and more importantly if you shoot it well and are satisfied.Please,it's just an idea.Personally,what you already have on there looks great to me,as far as aesthetics go,I like what you have.

Last edited by shameless; 03/19/10.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another thought,you could but some black heat shrink tube on the bolt knob,it would stop the scouring effect on the knob and the scope finish.Sorry,just another idea.BTW,thats a beautiful gun.

Last edited by shameless; 03/19/10.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
There is no way I'd allow anything like the bolt on one of my rifles to whack the scope on it. I can see where I'd be in a big hurry to shoot again one day and hit the scope with the bolt. Sooner or later, the scope would shift zero or break something. That's because much of my off season practice is done slaming the bolt hard to check for rifle functioning under stress.
Do whatever suits you, but be warned. E

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think he said it just lightly rubbed the scope,nothing serious.he didn't say it was whacking the scope enough to damage it or knock it off of alignment.You don't have to cycle a bolt so hard any way,even on quick follow ups.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hate to differ, but on a hunting rifle for big game, bolt operation should be as if you are trying to rip the bolt out of the rifle and shove it through the front receiver ring.

operating a bolt like you're at the bench rest is a good way to induce a malfunction.

everyone needs a course in 4 position rapid fire with an 03' and an old Gunny yelling in your ear.

The rings are the Talleys the guy at Brownells told me to use and the rifle is not a pre 64, it a modern CRF model.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just had to go with Burris Signature rings because the holes drilled in the pre64 30-06 I bought were off center. With the 20 degree insert I was able to get it on paper. Not traditional, but what ya gonna do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (1Longbow, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,651
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.