Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rick215 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I just bought a Super Redhawk and ordered a Tasco Red Dot to mount on it. Ruger sent the necessary 30MM rings and I was all set to mount the Red Dot except that it won't fit into the cradle of the bottom rings. The center area of the scope is too long by about 1/16th of an inch. What I need is an extension ring however ruger does not make them for this model. I thought of taking the rings to a machine shop and have them grind or cut a groove into the rings so they will fit. Any thoughts or does someone know of a company that makes a ruger to weaver type base? Rick

GB1

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick 215,<BR>Not so long ago I had the same headaches with customers doing what you are doing right now,and had to make bases using lower ring halves and a Weaver base.Now Weigand makes a Weaver rail for the Super Redhawk.<BR>Brownells has 'em.Just pick up a set of 30MM Weaver style rings,mount up the Weigand base,and drop it on.It's about time someone addressed the SRH and this problem!<BR>Good luck to ya!!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
R
Rick215 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
E4E<P>I should have addressed this problem straight to you. You have been a big help with this Redhawk/Super Redhawk purchase. I put this note on the board not only for suggestions, but to alert others that this could be a problem for them. It alway seems when a scope is mounted you run into one problem or another, like needing setbacks when you brought home regulars etc. I truly appreciate the help and will contact Brownell's. Thanks again E4E! Rick

P
P
I haven't been on this forum for a while, but I just saw your post about the problems with srh mounts. I have a really nice base from B-Square that mounts using the Ruger screw slots and accepts any weaver mount. It has several differently spaced slots and can accept the short red dots. Another advantage is that it mounts the scope lower on the gun and makes it more compact than the Ruger mounts. Most gun shops carry them.<P>------------------<BR>Work like you don't need the money, and dance like nobody is watching

Work like you don't need the money, and dance like nobody is watching
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you are calling the SRH compact, is that before or after it is mounted on the carriage? LOL

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.