Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Really appreciate the suggestions, guys.

I'm going to have to do something a little different before I hunt it. In those situations, I'm going to work the bolt like always, and if there's a chance of it being less than smooth as silk on a follow-up, it'll just drive me bananas.

I just need a whisker more clearance, but I'll find it with a different base or ring or a scope with a smaller ocular or something. I just can't stomach function glitches on a hunting rifle, and it would almost be a crime to not get this one just right. Besides, it'll be fun to mess with it some more!

I really appreciate your advise and suggestions!

I'm looking at some Buehlers and trying to figure if they're the right ones, but if not, I'll find something!

Thanks!

DJ

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dang Oldman,the Marine Corps wasn't even 100yrs old when you were in.Them trapdoors you shot didn't have a bolt!(GRIN)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Buehler 1" high ring is code #8.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DJ, depending on the scope, I use (have used) Leupold DD's Leupold STD,Weaver lows, Talley LW,G&H top detachables,Talley,and a host of others.With some scopes the bolt handle slightly rubs,and in other combo's there is no scraping at all.Obviously this depends on the size of the ocular lense housing;with some scopes this can be a challenge.

We have to rememberthat the pre 64 was built when scopes were a bit smaller than they are today.

For example, with a 4X Conquest on my pre 64 30/06 FW, I used Talley "lows"; OTOH Leupold STD works great with my Leupold VX3 2.5-8;and DD's work well with the Leupold 3 and 4 powers,which I have on pre 64 375 H&H's.

I have never been slowed in the slightest manipulating the bolt very rapidly with these scope setups,including under hunting situations when adrenalin is up,and I operate a bolt much as Oldman describes.I would not hesitate to take any of my pre 64's into any hunting situation with ther scope set-ups;even with Weaver "lows".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Bob. Really appreciate your insight - was hoping you might chime in since you've run so many Pre-64's.

I'm pretty committed to running either a 3.5-10x42 or a 6x42 on this rig, and I'd really like to stay with the height I have now with the Weaver mediums. I haven't pulled the variable off and tried the 6x42 yet, but the ocular configuration is a little different on them and I'm wondering if it will make a difference.

I've got that slight rub you describe now, but only if I cycle the bolt with pressure toward the scope. There's just a little play (won't call it slop - not on a Pre-64 M70...grin) in the bolt when it is cycled. I don't really notice it or feel it bind; I just will see a little rub on the scope tube now and then which wipes right off. It wouldn't clear a Butler Creek like it is, but I've got an Alumina eyepiece I can run on it.

Still looking for that "just right" set-up, but want to drop the 6x42 in there and see.

DJ

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
DJ,
I am using leupold low rings on my pre 64, I have had 2.5x8x36 on it first and now a 6x36 both leupolds. I can make the bolt handle rub on the scope if I want it to but. Some may find this kind of funny (my wife) I handle and this rifle everyday morning and night dry firing and slamming the bolt. I havent hit the scope as of yet and I guess it surprises me as I thought it wasnt going to work. I have only had this rifle for a few months and havent hunted with it yet. Let me know how the 6x42 looks on your rifle, I was thinking of trying one on mine but havent yet. I just love my fwt, I got mine from Handwerk.
Good luck,
D

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If needs be get the high No8 as the Beuhler rings are not as high as some that are made. It seem to me their high is equivalent to most medium rings. I have medium and low and they clear the bolt/ scope gap ....just.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most all of my P64's have Leupold's and Talley steel...never had a problem,mounting,clearance or sighting in and they stay set...some I had color cased to add a little bling...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This must be another one of those things about a pre-64 that make it such a wonderful rifle........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a pre-64 M70, standard 30-06 SPRG with a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 mounted with Redfield Jr. Mounts and medium rings. The scope would have mounted okay using low rings, but as I planned to use Butler Creek caps I preferred a little more clearance, which the medium height gave me.

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,783
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.