Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Not being a brand loyalist, but having recommended the T3's more than once on this forum in the past, here's some bad with the good.

While at the range recently, I found that my "synthetic" bolt shroud seemed much looser than what it had been and more so than any of the other T3 bolt shrouds I currently own. After I completed my range work/dialing it in and cleaning up this particular T3 and putting it up until fall, I took a closer look at the shroud.

I don't see any cracks or fractures of any type in this shroud, yet it is noticeably looser than it was before and as I said earlier, much looser than any of my other T3 shrouds. That's curious as I've read of shrouds cracking infrequently, but never have had the pleasure prior to my last range session. Truth be told, I would much rather have had the shroud break or crack and be quite noticeable rather than it just feeling much looser. Sort of a more difinitive result, one I can get my head around.

I'm not sure that it would ever become an issue and had I not followed other posts that spoke of such issues, I would likely just pay it very little, if any, attention. But, being a bit anal in that regard, I started looking for a way to resolve said issue. My first call was to Beretta which in past years has been quite fruitful and amicable.......not so much this day, however.

I spoke with some representative who, from the get-go, was not much interested, in fact, he seemed somewhat annoyed. I had the serial # and gave it to him which he used to date my 300WSM T3. Vintage - 2004. I discussed the shroud issue with him and he said the rifle is way past it's warranty period, which I told him I understood completely. My question was had Beretta/Sako/Tikka done anything in the past few years to resolve this shroud issue, as it isn't a rare occurance. He said that he has two 4 year old T3's and never has had a problem with either. I held my tongue and suggested that he nevertheless, had to be aware of there being a problem 'cuz it wasn't just a recent nor rare issue. Any and every forum speaks of this issue, whether a huge issue or not. I also said that it might have been a prudent idea to use a metal liner in the T3's bolt shroud as do the A7's. He said that it just worked out that way, but had nothing to do with the T3's bolt shroud issues..............hmmmmmmm.

Soooooo, Brownell's sells these puppies for about $40 each, part #S5850243, for those in need....now or perhaps a bit later......wink.

I wasn't looking for a handout, but moreso a response that they had accepted that there was an issue and that they had taken steps to resolve the T3 bolt shroud issue. Obviously, that wasn't the case, unfortunately.

Would their lack of responsiveness to this obvious problem deter me from purchasing another T3 in the future.......no, probably not. But if another company offered a similiar product with a similiar price tag, I'd definitely give it a look, whereas before, I likely would not have.

I'm thinkin' that the manufacture of the A7 might encompass a bit more attention to detail and might very well be worth a serious look see........what do you say Sam?........grin.

Just a heads up and some info that might assist others who run into the same issue. By-passing this particular Beretta rep.....likely the most useful part......grin. Honestly, it's a 50/50 deal on who answers the phone, as with most things.

**BTW - an Australian company now manufactures a metal bolt shroud for the T3's. They run about $80 and if I ever need to replace yet another "synthetic" T3 bolt shroud, I may take that leap instead. Just Google up "T3 Bolt Shroud" and I'm sure it'll get you there. I'm bettin' that the Beretta rep I had the pleasure of speaking with this mornin' was well aware of this Australian companies offering......suppose they offer it up because the T3 bolt shroud cracking issue is such a rare occurance.........wink.

Last edited by magnumb; 03/22/10.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Does this shroud function as just a dust cover over the back of the bolt, or is it a mechanical item that the rifle cannot operate without?

I think Vanguard rifles are of similar price and quality but need a classic stock.

Last edited by StrayDog; 03/22/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by magnumb

I also said that it might have been a prudent idea to use a metal liner in the T3's bolt shroud as do the A7's.

I'm thinkin' that the manufacture of the A7 might encompass a bit more attention to detail and might very well be worth a serious look see........what do you say Sam?........grin.

Ken, that's too bad about the T3 shroud. Like you mentioned, the A7 design should be alot stronger with the metal lining.

I have nothing against the T3 but just can't like the idea of having to remove the magazine in order to load/reload(I'm a bad shot...grin). The open port and option to use Talleys or Weaver bases is what I like most about the A7.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had a T3 in 308 and the bolt shroud cracked. When I called Beretta they were out of stock on T3 Bolt shrouds with no incoming shipment information. I ordered another one thru Bolsa Gunsmithing who seemed to have a pretty good supply of these shrouds in stock. I did not realize the A7 had a metal reinforced shroud. If the T3 shroud is so robust then why would Sako change the design? A7 sounds like a nice rifle.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Does this shroud function as just a dust cover over the back of the bolt, or is it a mechanical item that the rifle cannot operate without?

I think Vanguard rifles are of similar price and quality but need a classic stock.

It is a dust cover ..the bolt is very nicely made and designed BTW

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you folks noticed how much more expensive T3's have become lately?
Conversely, have you noticed how much LESS expensive A7's have become lately?

Last I looked you could find A7's on GB for $565!

T3's are ~$500.

Is the T3 the bargain it once was with the SAKO A7 so close in price?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Buy a Hawkeye!

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Last I looked you could find A7's on GB for $565!

And I paid $899 local last Fall!
Oh well.....(grin)

$565 is beyond a deal.

And if I understand the question, pretty sure the shroud on the A7 needs to stay in one piece for the bolt to work.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you can pick up a Sako A7 for less than $100 more than a Tikka, then the Tikka isn't the bargin it once was.

On topic though, does the tikka function without the plastic shroud/dust cover in place? I dislike plastic parts in firearms for this very reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't you just hate when that happens Sam?

If you like the rifle it really makes no difference though.

I was surprised to see where the prices have gone on both the T3 and the A7.

Sure wish they made a A7 in left hand.

Just an example, there are many available for this price too.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=161769486

Last edited by nsaqam; 03/22/10.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How hard can it be to bring out an economical rifle with a metal bolt shroud? Silly! Howa/Vanguard are good examples.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a fellow up here that is designing an alloy shroud. I'll let you guys know if it becomes a reality. I think he's got a ton of interested buyers already.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the tikka has a solid top to the action, this makes the action alot stiffer, I think that is a lot of the secret to why they shoot so good. it must be something because reports are they shoot better than the sakos which use the same barrel.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the tikka has a solid top to the action, this makes the action alot stiffer, I think that is a lot of the secret to why they shoot so good. it must be something because reports are they shoot better than the sakos which use the same barrel.

+1. That's been my experience. My Sako 85 and A7 didn't shoot as well as my T3's. The A7 has already gone down the road.

As already mentioned the bolt shroud on the T3 is a dust cover and is in no way a structural part of the design as it is on most other rifles. I know of 1 shooter who's been using a T3 for 4 years without a shroud in factory class benchrest and it functions flawlessly with no cover at all.

If the shroud is loose I'd suggest fully disassembling the bolt, handle, and shroud. It's easy to break the shroud when doing this if you don't follow the correct sequence. Disassembly and assembly may fix the looseness if the ears aren't where they need to be. The aluminum shrouds are OK but don't look very good IMO. I like the sculpted European looking factory shroud better. But rest easy knowing your T3 would function fine with no shroud at all.

I sympathize with you about Beretta's customer service. It's horrible service with even worse prices on parts.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's a reason or seventeen that I never recommend a T3, not to pile on, just saying.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There's a reason or seventeen that I never recommend a T3, not to pile on, just saying.

Hmmm? Why the T3 avatar then?

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The issue of the plastic shroud breaking has come up on this and other boards several times. There are several instances of blown primers or cartidge cases causing the shroud to break off and strike the shooter in the eye. Tikka fans will rant and rave that this not so and impossible. If you check the links in this thread you'l find that it is so, and that the shroud is not cosmetic, or merely a dust cover, but part of the system designed to keep hot gases and particles from reaching the shooters face in the event of a failure in the primer or case head.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3466180/1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They work fine without them. Can't speak to the gas handling characteristics as I've never had a case failure of any kind in any rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone have a pic of a T3 shroud on and off the rifle?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Horseman
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Hmmm? Why the T3 avatar then?

I'm being ironical, well that and I couldn't find the Millet avatar I had...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,353
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.