Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
icedog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm shopping for a spotting scope. It will be used at the range, with a good likelihood of some field us as well. I'd like it to come in at $600 or less, including the eyepiece, so the higher end stuff is definitely out. Because it will be packed occasionally, both size and weight are considerations. Looking for some "best buy" suggestions from those with experience. Thanks.

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have a minox 62ED which is high quality. I listed it in the classified adds. If you search minox you can see the info. I will take $550 plus shipping. My email is rschaffertplains.net
thanks
Rob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$600 or less
includes eye piece
packed, so size & weight a consideration

Nikon ED50

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by icedog
I'm shopping for a spotting scope. It will be used at the range, with a good likelihood of some field us as well. I'd like it to come in at $600 or less, including the eyepiece, so the higher end stuff is definitely out. Because it will be packed occasionally, both size and weight are considerations. Looking for some "best buy" suggestions from those with experience. Thanks.

There are a number of excellent spotters in the $600 price range.
I would call Doug at Cameraland and discuss which one to buy with him. One thing for sure, Doug knows his business when it comes to Sport Optics, Spotters included.
We are fortunate to have a guy like Doug to discuss questions like this.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FOsteology
$600 or less
includes eye piece
packed, so size & weight a consideration

Nikon ED50

Just bought one with the MC11 x27 W eyepiece and I am *very* impressed. Haven't had a chance to try it at the range yet, but I doubt it will disappoint...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
icedog,

I hope the following helps.

June 14, 2008 Bonanza, Oregon
Today four of us compared some scopes. About noon the weather was totally clear and about 80 degrees. Our ages are 84, 63, 44, and 30. We compared the following.

20-60X60 Tasco spotting scope $89 Tom said he shopped all day and found only one spotting scope, a Leupold, was any better than the Tasco. This included Nikons and others for a lot more money!

12-42X56 NightForce Got a great deal for $750; which included Leupie quick release rings and bases.

6-24X40 Weaver Traded a brand new in the box 8-32X Burris Signature for it (after three returns from Burris).

6 1/2-20X50 VX-III John Lachuck couldn't remember what he paid.

6-24X40 Bushnell 4200 Again John couldn�t remember.

3-15X42 Sightron II $411

The test:
I lazered a power pole 451 yards distance. All of us could easily read the numbers on the transformers with the NightForce and the Tasco spotting scope set on 40X; with the NightForce being slightly better. When these two were set on 20X the NightForce and the Tasco spotting scope were obviously better than either the Leupie or the Weaver. Between those two the Weaver was better. The Leupold was only the slightest bit better than the 4200.

When they were all set on 15X the Sightron II came in last.

Positively all the scopes natural colors.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

I was looking for a spotting scope recently and picked up a Bushnell Excursion FLP 20-60 x80 spotting scope.

I was available on Amazon for about $350 and is all you would ever need for range use. Nice clear view and lots of eye relief.
The scope is listed as waterproof and shockproof for field use, but mine has not been used hard so I cannot attest to how well it would hold up.

icedog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies and the interesting information gentlemen. The Tasco outshining others is a bit of a surprise, though I do have a buddy who chose a Tasco scope for one of his rifles a number of years ago because he liked it better than the others he looked at. Anyway, my original question proved to be a fruitful post for me, as I did close a deal with dman on his Minox. As I mentioned to him, I have set of Minox binos which I purchased from Doug a couple years ago, and which I am quite happy with.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have compared a lot of my scopes and optics. Sometimes the cheaper scopes shine at times. Usually when the weather conditions are good.(good light and low heat waves). I have been through zeiss, leica, minox, leupold, tasco, bushnell, nikon, burris, B&L, swarovski, canon, and probably a few I am not thinking of. I have some in the same brand that are of higher end and some of the companies cheap stuff. There will be times that you will see the differences between the expensive ones and the cheap ones. Sometimes they both look good. At evening and at sunrise most of my cheaper stuff will show a lot of glare and just hard to see through. This is usually when you are looking into the direction of the sun. You can pick up my swarovki binoculare, my zeiss spotter, or my minox spotter and it just is not there. They also usually show a nicer whiter, brighter image also. Where some of my cheaper stuff is a little more yellowish. I know everyones eyes are different, but that is what my eyes see. Also the better stuff is usually easier on my eyes. I wear contacts and sometimes looking through some make my contact get of my pupil a little and I have to blink or put an eye drop in to make my eye see correct again. The better optics really don't give me as much problems. Also if I am comparing optics I look into shaded areas such as under a pickup or truck. Reading the small letters on tires that are shaded underneath the vehicle can seperate some optics quickly. You can really tell which optics have better sharpness on the letters. Then I take the same optics and compare them with something in normal light(like the license plate and even the cheap stuff can be just as good as the top optics). So the way I see it is that all optics can be better in different conditions. I think the more expensive optics with the better coatings will overall give you a better performance more of the time. I do think the cheaper optics have gotten better over time and will work a lot of the time. I know it is also what you can afford. I started out with cheap stuff and have slowly have been buying some good stuff. I do know the cheap stuff I have is almost worthless for resale and sometimes does not have the best warranty. The good stuff sometimes will bring more then I paid for it. Example, I bought a pair of swarovski 8-30 binoculars about 10 years ago used(in mint shape) for $500. Look on ebay and think you will see I can get my money back and have used great optics for 10 years. Now if I lost them or tore them up(I know a few friends that could destroy something nice in no time so I would recommend the cheaper stuff to them) it would be a different story. Anyway keep the reviews coming in I always am interested in seeing what guys are liking.
Rob

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 27 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.