Print Thread
Hop To
M
mbuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Wanted to get an idea to see if its realistic to plan a hunt for both deer and upland game in Montana. Hunting partner and I didn't get drawn for elk in Wyoming, so we're planning alternative options.

He's got a pretty good pointer (at least on Michigan pheasants) and we're considering heading to Montana to maximize our opportunity on various species.

Noticed that the whitetail archery season starts september 4th, and thought we'd spend the mornings hunting deer and the afternoons hunting birds.

Question is, is this plan feasible? are there areas that lend themselves to both types of hunts?

Any advice would be appreciated..

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is VERY doable, except for one thing. You've missed the application period for this year (3/15 deadline). You could still probably pick up a doe tags and try your plan. That way you'd get to learn an area and be better prepared for when you do draw a buck tag. Also, be aware that if you are putting in for a General Deer Combination license that it is far from a sure draw for NRs.

M
mbuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
thanks for the response. Does Montana ever offer leftover license sales?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
PM sent

M
mbuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
anybody have any suggestions for zones that might offer antelope and upland birds? we've got until June 1 to apply for antelope..

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mbuck
anybody have any suggestions for zones that might offer antelope and upland birds? we've got until June 1 to apply for antelope..

Really anywhere in the eastern 2/3 of the state. It could be somewhat hard to find good access for deer (assuming you'll also be scouting for next year), antelope, and birds in one area, although I'm sure there is such a spot in almost every unit. You've got lots of homework to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will you be doing archery lopes or rifle?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
mbuck Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
we're looking at a september hunt, so archery would be option available, unless gun season starts early enough. pheasant opener in michigan is 10/20, and whitetail archery is heating up here that time of year as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rl11
Originally Posted by mbuck

Really anywhere in the eastern 2/3 of the state. It could be somewhat hard to find good access for deer (assuming you'll also be scouting for next year), antelope, and birds in one area, although I'm sure there is such a spot in almost every unit. You've got lots of homework to do.

lets put it this way, there is a reason i want a drilling(preferably a sxs 16 over a 9.3 rifle barrel) for hunting on the north side of Fort Peck......my plan of hiring a gunbearer hasnt panned out crazy grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
mbuck,

You may want to look into the Freezeout lake area in Central Montana.

Myself and a buddy hunted there about the time the Snow Geese went through every year...that place is amazing.

We'd bird hunt in the AM then mid-day we hunted deer, both MD and WT. Not sure anymore, but you used to be able to purchase a region wide whitetail doe tag.

Heres the results of a 2 day hunt...in 2 days we shot 3 wt deer, 7 pheasants, a few huns and sharptails, limited on snow geese, and some ducks, mostly mallards that late. Its also possible to apply for and hunt swans as well.

Its a mixed bag hunters dream over there. My buddy in the picture, who was new to hunting, took a look at the back of the truck and said, "Wow, just think 2 years ago I didnt even own a firearm!"

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nice......

on the north side of Fort Peck on two separate walks, on the same day, less than 5 miles apart i bumped into mule deer, whitetail, speed goats, elk, coyotes, jackrabbits, huns, sharptail grouse, sage grouse, cinnamon teal, mallards and Canadian geese....also heard some cranes but they were way in the hell up there....all this on public ground....only thing rare where i was at were pheasants as they prefer the river bottoms and fields to the lake side timber and cattle grazing areas....

mixed bags are easy to do if you really want to....

Last edited by rattler; 03/23/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And speaking of Freezeout, this morning Boze paper has an article about the white geese that are there now.

I lived in that area for 15 year, enjoyed Freezeout but never once hunted it as I found much better was to be had that wasn't getting the attention that it did. That's not to take anything away from it though as it's still a nice place to visit.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I went and checked out Freezeout for the first time a couple weeks ago. Evidently missed the first big wave of snows by about twelve hours. Maybe next time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did a bird/antelope hunt in the Terry Badlands area a few years ago. We found lots of birds and enough antelope (we weren't choosy). Hunted all block management ground and met some really nice folks. Last day we were there was the pheasant opener. We went down and asked a fellow harvesting corn along the Yellowstone if we could hunt the fringe between his corn and the river. He said, "Sure", and my buddy and I both got a couple of cocks before quitting about noon. I can't figure out why I haven't done it again!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yeah, I'd shy away from freezeout...it sucks...you cant even hardly talk to your buddy when the snows are flying over:

[Linked Image]

The birds are usually in small flocks:

[Linked Image]

It is kind of a bummer to get 5 limits of snows in about 20 minutes: Tough to decide if you should drive about 1/2 mile down the road there and fill a couple b-tags...or try for some upland birds...decisions...decisions. We opted for the b-tag option, shot 2 deer about 15 minutes after this picture was taken on a large section of state land.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 15,893 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,197
Posts18,543,507
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.