Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just got a fantastic deal on a remington 700 BDL 7mm Remington mangle'um, in their old black stainless finish. But I have a 7mm-08, a 7x57, and a 270, all pretty, custom rifles, that I use.<P>The new, old rifle is going to be restocked in a custom, pretty, functional wood stock, because.... well see my signature.<P>Any ideas about a re-chambering (re-boring?) that might be a bit different. I generally hunt with 30 calibers, both 06 and several different mags, so I would skip that range; no weatherby chamberings; would really like to keep the barrel, even though it will cost more to rebore and chamber it. Not sure that I would want to rebore it anyway, just trying to stretch the envelope of options.<P>I will be building the new stock, from wood on hand and converting it to ADL configuration. I will have an almost embarrassingly low amount in it, particularly for a SS rig. I would be thinking about a special, as yet undetermined, purpose for it. Basically I need an excuse, because I really have no shortage of hunting rifles, except perhaps in the bigger bores.<P>Africa will be happening in the next couple years, but will be plains game to start.<BR>Thoughts?<BR>thanks<BR>art<P>------------------<BR>Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will throw out the first idea. .358 Norma Magnum. Just a thought. Sean

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitka,those barrels are a dime a dozen. Remove it,keep it for future projects and build a 375H&H. If money is an issue,Goforth has take off 700 S/S 375H&H barrels,for under $80,including sights. Headspace the new barrel to your action and enjoy........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Big Stick; Did not want to mess wih recoloring the SS. Is that a big non-issue?<P>In my mind the only really good looking guns have black steel. <P>Because of the deal I got on the rifle, money is not a big issue, couple hundred bucks one way or the other is not a deal breaker.<P>Lone Eagle; have a 308 Norma which has tremendous sentimental value, the 358 N would sit nicely there.<BR>Thanks again<BR>art<P>------------------<BR>Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
stv Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Go for a 7mmstw. save the barrel and the bore and just rechamber. Other wise it is a pull off job or rebore job. I have often thought about a 338Win as a real thumper or 358 Norma but that would be hard to get headstamped brass for. Lots of opportunity - so many chambers - So little time. Regards, stv

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitka,coloring of the S/S tube,is dependant upon your importance of aesthetics and function. Myself,I can live with a flat black rattle can job because function rates MUCH higher,than form for me. If you want a nice subdued finish,I have a GOOD "Teflon Guy",he'll matte finish the complete barreled action,for under $125. It is the best that I have seen,excluding Robbie Barkman's work,he of course,comes at a much higher price. I took you out of context,in regards to funds. Now I savvy you're keeping the blackened finish,on your existing tube. Reboring,is highly overrated(my opinion). Your money is much better spent,on procuring a top notch barrel,to start with. For much function,and for limited cash,the S/S Rem Factory 700 tube is impossible to beat. If the ultimate in accuracy is your focal point(I didn't gather that it was)then I'd buy a PacNor or Schneider S/S blank. I built a 375H&H Ackley,off a S/S 700 takeoff(from Goforth),it will reward me with .75moa groups,with Re-15 and 270gr Hornady's. That is to my satisfaction. Many angles to this,like results can be had,for widely different sums of money. It pays to be shrewd...... <p>[This message has been edited by Big Stick (edited February 17, 2001).]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The trouble with the STW conversion,is the 24" long barrel length,of the existing 7mmRemMag barrel. That largely negates the STW's capacity advantage,it REQUIRES 26" of barrel,as a minimum........

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
As to the barrel color, Andy Hawk will blue stainless in Anchorage...no idea the going rate, but he reblued my carbon R700 after our little debacle in '99 and did a really nice job. If you wanna see what it looks like, my brother-in-law has one.<P>John

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You could get a new barrel if you have your heart set on a .257 or 7mm STW. You could also simply rebore it to .257 caliber and have the wildcat equal of a .257 Weatherby (that wouldn't cost as much for brass). But that is only if you want a flat shooting cartridge for longer ranges. <BR> YOu could probably do almost anything with it.

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Had an extra Ruger M77 (old tang safety style) in 7 Mag I needed to do something with. Since the 7mm Rem Mag and the 7mm Dakota are basically same length, the 7 Dakota would work in that length action. Had the gunsmith ream out for the 7 Dakota (the length is slightly shorter,so he had to clean up the old chamber neck) and I opened up the guide rails a little to accomodate the fatter case. Had to very slightly open up the bolt face for the larger case head. This conversion cost about $200, as I had the smith true the receiver face, lap the lugs and the aforementioned opening of the bolt face.<BR>Sure is a nice cartridge - like it a lot more that the 7 Rem Mag..

Keep off the Ridgeline!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to agree with Big Stick. A .375 will work very well for plains game and when you move up to the big nasties it will be right at home. Good luck, Troy.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Must publicly acknowledge the "debacle" as J Calhoun calls it, and the unstinting devotion, by John, to my fancy english walnut stocked 30-06. John left his gun rolling in the bilge while cradling mine, for a long, very nasty, ride for longer than I want to remember. Salt spray everywhere!!<P>Suppose a nicer guy would have at least chipped in toward his new blue:-)<P>Unfortunately, I have trouble with the concept of ignoring form. Part of the function, in my case, involves getting good looking photos; requires a pretty gun.<P>Big Stick; What does R Barkman charge to do a SS blue job? With installing a take-off bbl, would I be looking at reblueing anyway? And at that point wouldn't the higher quality bbl be a no-brainer? Guess you answered that already. Townsend Whelen's old line about only accurate guns being interesting is important to me. In the past, my 700s have shot well enough to keep.<P>Kaydubya; I agree with the point about keeping the 7mm bore size, but I am partial to my 7x57, and for the extra roar , just do not think it would get to go out much.<P>This seemed like a good cheap way to get a rifle to play with, but the plans they seem to be changing. Changes always seem to cost more money.<P>thanks for all the input, and that to come.<BR>art<P>------------------<BR>Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitka,you can spend over $500 on a Robar Polymax/NP3 job. Gret stuff,without a doubt. I'm of a more modest means. I own BEAUTIFUL rifles,that are impervious to harsh conditons(or nearly so). If you want form AND function,here's my recipe for success: Rem700 S/S action,mated to a topflight S/S barrel,in your prescribed chambering and contour. Pillar bed that barreled action,into a McMillan Fibergrain stock,of your fancy. Then Teflon coat the barreled action and scope mounting system(matte),and reassemble. Stab a matte finished Leupold on top,and reap the rewards of beauty AND the beast. You are now impervious to most conditions(assuming a whit of common sense),and capable of surgical precision. That is the "Whole Hog" approach,and it is without reservation,the ultimate. That,regarding looks and rugged reliability,plus corrosion resistance. Another avenue,that I prefer,is a S/S 700 action,and a QUALITY barrel,in a heavy sand blasted(matte)finish. Mate it to a black/white McMillan swirl,and you are capable of weathering extremely harsh conditions,with a minimum of fuss and for less money(about $300 less). Plus,it is a shocking contrast,that lends itself beautifully to field photos. Another option,is utilizing your blued action and employing the S/S 375H&H take-off barrel. Have your action and bottom metal Tefloned,then blast the barrel after installation. That route is still pleasing to the eye,and is another $300 less expensive. I can't tell you,what you want. Though I've built them in all configurations and have opinions,regarding all the mentioned approaches. With the ranging capabilities of the 375H&H(for example),the differing field results are minimal,at best. When discussing a cartridge more compatible to "long" range,my opinion alters(that is where a QUALITY barrel,shines!). I've yet to see a Factory built 375H&H,that wouldn't shoot subMOA,with Re-15 and the 270Hornady. I've owned 5 seperate rifles that complied,and developed loads,for a myriad of others. My thoughts are that it is easier to hold tolerances on larger diameter bores and their respective projectiles. That may be all wet,but it stands to reason(at least to MY reason). Again,you've many choices to consider.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big Stick- talk to me about this source of barrels!! I may be in the market soon. <P>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rabid, Goforth is a "regular" advertiser,in GunList. They sell take-off Rem700 tubes in many configurations. Here is a sampling,of their regular pricing: 300Win S/S(new)$36. 375H&H S/S(takeoff)$80. They ship freight free,to you lucky dogs,in the Lower 48. (801)-250-7507. Their description of merchandise is accurate,items are in stock and you can't beat the pricing. Happy shopping!........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I appreciate it! I'm going to have to start perusing gunlist. I don't think I've ever looked at it.<P>Rabid

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rabid,before persuing ANY project,shred a GunList for "deals". I can't coment on all vendors,because I haven't done business with all. My gut instinct,is that most folks interested in things "gunny",are honest to a fault. What I'm implying is,take folks to their word,as long as you are allowed an inspection/approval period. With that,you cut your own throat. Myself,I'm comfortable,with my determination. Tread lightly,ask questions,then reap the rewards(as there are MANY)............

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Big stick; thanks again for your input, but I just cannot do plastic. My father worked hard at producing a weather-proof wood stock and I believe his methods produce a piece of wood stable as the best plastic stocks, and to my taste, lots prettier. It is certainly good enough. <P>I have a model seven in 7mm-08 which is matte SS in a burly, curly maple exhibition grade stock. Damn good looking, but still not black. Not looking to duplicate the looks. <P>Guess I will have to mull this one over for awhile. thanks yet again.<BR>art

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sitka. Another option is to have the barrel Nickel plated. It doesn't wear off like the Teflon coatings and looks sharp. I have 3 Rem 700's that are all custom made in various chambers and I had all of them black. Black stock, black barrel, action, in fact all the rifles are 100% black with either a Schmidt & Bender or Swarovski scope sitting proudly on top. A buddy of mine has a lot more custom built guns then I have and he opted for the black route on the last couple and said he will never go black again (his previous hunting rifles had nickel plating). The black does wear off easier then the nickel. A "blue" barrel is actually "black oxide" which will not adhere to Stainless Steel. <P>You could rechamber that 7mm barrel into a 280 Ackley Improved but since you would lose barrel length in doing so you wouldn't fully utilize the cartridge. <P>Decisions, Decisions.<P>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitka,have you ever seen a Fibergrain stock? The first one I saw in the flesh was on an electroless nickel plated,300 Jarrett. I could NOT tell,it was synthetic,until I picked it up. Really blew me away. Since then,I've bought three and am tickled. I too like wood(looks/feel),but there isn't a wood composition yet conceived,that can rival the attributes of a McMillan. I use many laminates and they are great,but are still second fiddle. A couple buddies have built rifles enploying Elk Ridge Laminates. They make some absolutely beautiful laminates. Their blue/silver,compliments a S/S rifle amazingly well. There are soooo many choices. Have fun deciding.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (160user, 12344mag, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 28 invisible), 1,193 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,469
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.