Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
hp4570 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I posted this in the Marlin Section but thought it might get more viewing here.

The news here in Connecticut is reporting that Marlin is closing up shop in North Haven. Reason is that it is just too expensive to conduct business here. They have not said if they are moving operations somewhere else. Shut down starts this May, June 2011 is final closing. Workers claim they were completely blindsided. Oh well, hopefully they are going to just move to a cheaper manufacturing state. Almost all of Connecticuts industry has moved except the military contractors.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
link to story
Marlin Firearms Co., a Connecticut gun manufacturer founded in 1870, will close its North Haven plant and lay off the employees, according to a source within the company.

A spokesman for Remington Arms, the North Carolina firm that owns Marlin, did not respond to a request for details. WTNH-TV, Channel 8, in New Haven reported that Remington plans to close the North Haven plant by mid-2011, laying off 265 employees.

Remington agreed to buy Marlin in late 2007 and acquired it in 2008.

Marlin was founded by John M. Marlin, who worked in Hartford for Colt during the Civil War. In 1870, Marlin "hung out his sign on State Street in New Haven, manufacturing his own line of revolvers and derringers," according to Marlin's website. In 1924, Frank Kenna bought Marlin and the Kennas owned and operated it until the sale to Remington.

Marlin's brands have included Marlin, Harrington and Richardson, New England Firearms and L.C. Smith.

Legendary sharpshooter Annie Oakley, who toured with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show in the 1880s, is said to have owned a Marlin lever-action .22 repeater rifle.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 03/26/10.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess Remington would rather import foreign junk & put Americans out of work.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Times are changing, at least we still have a few traditional arms made here, and a host of the increasingly popular AR- platformed manufacturers call America home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is that.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

I would rather look at it as just another example of a state's liberal social aid policies, high business/corporate tax structure, and weak fiscal discipline driving businesses out. I saw it when living in Minnesota, and California. It continues to amaze me that there are those that fail to recognize that all businesses need to realize a certain profit margin in order to survive and grow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Marlin go like Winchester and move to a southern (or better yet, western) state that is much more business friendly than Conn.

Costs do matter.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/bp59.pdf

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.all businesses need to realize a certain profit margin in order to survive and grow........

Facist. grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My guess is they will reopen in a state where operational, labor costs are less.
Can't see Marlin going away for good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maybe they will make them in North Carolina? It is a stone shame that our political class is ruining every single manufacturing job operation in this country in order take care of the "needy". Wait until we get the new taxes to support the health care fraud that was just rammed down the throats of working Americans. All European countries have value added taxes to pay for this stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
All European countries have value added taxes to pay for this stuff.

I'm firmly convinced a VAT in the US is next on the Libs agenda.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about next - but soon enough!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah , maybe they will move to NC. I'd go to work for them , have not had a regular job in a while.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the continued success of the 336 model line (and all its many variations) and the recent success of the X series bolt actions Marlin seems to be in a good position to move its manufacturing elsewhere.
I hope so.

Cerberus is renowned for being ruthless with regard to maximizing profits for its investors however. If they see Marlin as competition to their flagship Remington they may indeed be closing Marlin for good and picking its bones for Remington.
If that is the case I sure hope they keep the X series and dump the 710/770 junk. A Marlin lever action in the Remington stable would also be in keeping with recent foray into the AR type after the acquisition of DPMS.
Really sad if Marlin is indeed done.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Mike

Or it could be that Americans aren't willing to pay what it would take to keep those Americans in work - for a Marlin and not at the current costs to mfg a Marlin. You willing to pay 1500 for a lever action 30-30 by a guy not named Turnbull?

We Americans demand it cheap and high wages. Then wonder why things go off shore when you can't do both.

We are buying and demanding ourselves out of the jobs...

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is a stone shame that our political class is ruining every single manufacturing job operation in this country

I find this statement ironic considering the tooth gnashing here about the Gov't bailout of two of America's manufacturing giants, GM and Chrysler.

Seems to me I heard alot of folks saying that they should have been allowed to go under.

Just Sayin'

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you see where John Deere said the new heath care taxes will cost them $150 or so million extra this year? Cat about 100 mil? Does anyone connect the simple dots as to why a company leaves the USA???? More to come.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sourdough44
Did you see where John Deere said the new heath care taxes will cost them $150 or so million extra this year? Cat about 100 mil? Does anyone connect the simple dots as to why a company leaves the USA???? More to come.

Yep a quarter BILLION dollars in value gone immediately due to the signature of Obamao.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remington owns Marlin, just saw a new Remington pump 12 yesterday that also proudly displays the Baikal logo on the right side of the receiver. Perhaps the Marlin line will now bw made in Russia as well.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nsaqam
It is a stone shame that our political class is ruining every single manufacturing job operation in this country

I find this statement ironic considering the tooth gnashing here about the Gov't bailout of two of America's manufacturing giants, GM and Chrysler.

Seems to me I heard alot of folks saying that they should have been allowed to go under.

Just Sayin'

I've yet to hear anyone offer more than the asking price on anything mfg in the USA to help cover the cost of mfg.

I mean usually its post after post on where to get the best deal and deal usually means the cheapest.

If you want it cheap, your costs have to be cheap.

Me

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,746
Posts18,514,559
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.