Print Thread
Hop To
E
Eric308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Can anyone recommend a good monopod or shooting sticks for field shooting? I would think that a monopod that doubles as a walking stick would be a good idea, and I think there are some out there. Anyone have any suggestions on this? Thanks.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Stoney Point Polecat (now sold by Hornady, I believe). I use it both as a walking stick and as shooting sticks and have no complaints. I have used it on several elk hunts and deer hunts, as well as calling coyotes a time or two. If I were buying one today, I would look at the Bog Pod, as well. It appears to be a little stouter (and maybe heavier).

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've got the Bog-Pod and have been very happy with it. It's very sturdy, but it may be a little bulkier than what you are looking for if your first inclination is towards a monopod (the Bog-Pod has 3 legs).

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I have played around with these things a lot. I gave up on monopods because I can shoot as well offhand as with the monopod due to lack of control over left/right motion.

I never use tripods because the height is always wrong.

I prefer bipods because, by moving back or forward a little, I can control the height of the rest. I don't think the make matters.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bog Pod...the only way to go.....very steady, very high quality...worth every penny

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Another vote for Bog Pod. Heavy enough to lean on as a walking stick and close to rock solid to shoot over.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone ever rig up a ski pole for use as a walking/shooting stick? Got a bunch of them around. Tried foam rubber under the handle and it has possibilities, a little short for offhand but seems to work ok in sitting and kneeling.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I have the shooting stix that fold up and can be stored on your belt. They're fast and stable, particularly if you utilize a shooting sling.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm going to wait until just before hunting season next Fall to buy a Primos Trigger Stick. They might come out with a tall model with one trigger and only two sections by then. I want one that goes from fully retracted to fully extended with one trigger to pull and no other locking collars, etc.
If they don't have that by next Fall, I'll buy the model they're making now.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 21, 53 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,372
Posts18,527,406
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.