Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't know what all the extra stuff is about but I'm happy that they are only moving and not shutting down.

Remington also now controls NEF's/H&R's "management" via Marlin, who bought out H&R before Remington bought them.

There's going to be many Handi-Rifle owners who will be anxious to know how this might affect H&R and their Barrel Accessory Program. frown

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's likely to keep me awake at nights.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Auhhh don't let it!

Just "chuck" your HandiRifle collection and from now on buy nothing but T/C Encores. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd kinda like to own a "made in Idaho" Marlin.
Not expecting it but Buck Knives did come here.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Honestly, why would any company that is only marginally profitable continue to maintain operations in the United States? I expect Marlin and lots of other companies to move overseas soon in order to avoid Obamacare and other needless expenses.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 700LH
I'd kinda like to own a "made in Idaho" Marlin.
Not expecting it but Buck Knives did come here.

That's great! 700LH Where in the Spud state did Buck locate to?

I lost count long ago who now owns Speer-CCI-Blount Industries, but only real criticism I've ever heard about that Lewiston-employer is that they can't produce enough of their excellent products to satisfy all demands. smile

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Buck moved to Sandpoint from San Diego CA three or four years ago now.

...for sure...live long enough you're gonna end up dying of something
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not that it really matters, but Buck is in Post Falls not Sandpoint

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If anyone sees a Remington, or Cerberus statement about why Marlin is closing, please post it.
This closing came close on the heels od the Nobamacare bill passing. Wonder if Rem hasn't been tracking Marlin very closely, and saw that they could not keep Marlin profitable with the added cost of The Moron In Charge and his insane drive to get healthcare passed.
I read this morning that AT&T will have to spend some phenominal amout of money to follow the new healt care rules. $100M??

Last edited by DMB; 03/27/10.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMB
If anyone sees a Remington, or Cerberus statement about why Marlin is closing, please post it.
This closing came close on the heels od the Nobamacare bill passing. Wonder if Rem hasn't been tracking Marlin very closely, and saw that they could not keep Marlin profitable with the added cost of The Moron In Charge and his insane drive to get healthcare passed.
I read this morning that AT&T will have to spend some phenominal amout of money to follow the new healt care rules. $100M??
A billion. I doubt the Marlin thing has anything to do with Healthcare unless they were working on an awfully thin line to begin with. With the popularity of the Marlins, here on the 'fire alone, I can't see that. They'll be back in North Carolina or Kentucky. Like as not the plant was worn out.

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by GeoW
Conglomerates such as Cerberus buy the large prosperous corporations, suck the assets dry, and sell what's left for scrap.
They don't want stable money making corporations... they want a fast buck and couldn't care less what gets destroyed in the process.

Large prosperous corporations are expensive to buy, and are rarely sold for scrap.

The way I understand it is that Marlin was losing money two years ago when Remington bought it and the Remington sale kept them from going under. It could well be that the Conn factory is too old to keep running and it's too expensive to retool in Conn, just like it was for Winchester. Let's hope that a factory move and retool is upcoming.

Guys, it's way too early to speculate that Marlin is closing for good. All we know now is that the Conn factory is closing. I expect there should be a press release from Marlin in the very near future and then we'll have something to discuss intelligently.

Cerberus CM bought Remington in April 2007 and then Remington (owned by Cerberus) bought Marlin in Jan. 2008.

GeoW is correct, these private equity firms don't have any interest in running a business long term, they care about the fast buck. They would rather make a billion dollars once than 100 million a year for ten years.
If they deem that Marlin is best stripped of its intellectual property and machinery then shut it down they will.

More likely to spin it off just like they will with most of their holdings once the goldrush is at or nearing its peak.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by DMB
A billion. I doubt the Marlin thing has anything to do with Healthcare unless they were working on an awfully thin line to begin with. With the popularity of the Marlins, here on the 'fire alone, I can't see that. They'll be back in North Carolina or Kentucky. Like as not the plant was worn out.

Cole,

Thanks for the info.
I sure hope you're right about moving to NC, SC, Kentucky. First, I have a lot of respect for the fine lever rifles Marlin made. I'd sure hate to have them go away completely. I did buy one of the new FN Model 70's made in SC, and gotta say it is one very fine rifle.

Take care,

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMB
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by DMB

Cole,

Thanks for the info.
I sure hope you're right about moving to NC, SC, Kentucky. First, I have a lot of respect for the fine lever rifles Marlin made. I'd sure hate to have them go away completely. I did buy one of the new FN Model 70's made in SC, and gotta say it is one very fine rifle.

Take care,

Don

You're welcome Don, but don't get your hopes up just because of what I said. More opinion than information. I think Cerbus is a pretty ruthless company, and it wouldn't surprise me if their tax credits ran out, they had a unionized factory with older workers and the machines were run down, that they'd just change locales. A bunch of asbestos and whatnot in the factory is easier to walk away from than clean up too. I have no idea about their situation, but know what some companies around here have done...I was just looking at an old boat plant about twenty miles west of me that did this last night. They didn't ever resurface though.

The Kentucky or North Carolina part is just an educated guess from things I've read. It could be China, who knows?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The move to another state won't matter if the quality of the guns go to h**l. I don't expect the quality of the new guns, coming out of CT., in the remaining few months, will be the greatest from disgruntled employees about to lose their jobs...

maddog

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by krummarine

I would rather look at it as just another example of a state's liberal social aid policies, high business/corporate tax structure, and weak fiscal discipline driving businesses out. I saw it when living in Minnesota, and California. It continues to amaze me that there are those that fail to recognize that all businesses need to realize a certain profit margin in order to survive and grow.

There is that.

Arizona Arizona move to Arizona (Prescott, Phoenix, Flagstaff)

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by jimmyp
It is a stone shame that our political class is ruining every single manufacturing job operation in this country

I find this statement ironic considering the tooth gnashing here about the Gov't bailout of two of America's manufacturing giants, GM and Chrysler.

Seems to me I heard alot of folks saying that they should have been allowed to go under.

Just Sayin'

I've yet to hear anyone offer more than the asking price on anything mfg in the USA to help cover the cost of mfg.

I mean usually its post after post on where to get the best deal and deal usually means the cheapest.

If you want it cheap, your costs have to be cheap.

As Paul Harvey has said more than once, "That is the sum of it, Americans." We just can't have it both ways.

For nearly 50 years I heard people complain about insurance premiums but would scream bloody murder if we suggested putting a rechromed bumper on their 6 yr. old car in need of repairs.....or maybe buying used parts instead of new parts. You couldn't convince them that the front end from a salvaged 5 year old car was just as new as the one they wrecked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Guess Remington would rather import foreign junk & put Americans out of work.

Mike

I would rather look at it as just another example of a state's liberal social aid policies, high business/corporate tax structure, and weak fiscal discipline driving businesses out. I saw it when living in Minnesota, and California. It continues to amaze me that there are those that fail to recognize that all businesses need to realize a certain profit margin in order to survive and grow.

No kidding, I read a few weeks ago that after Obama's "Carbon Tax" was shelved CA decided to institute their own on the 600 biggest companies in CA. Amazing how liberals are set in their ways.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Guess Remington would rather import foreign junk & put Americans out of work.

Mike

That's the nail on the head right there.. liberals and democrats never learn...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MColeman

As Paul Harvey has said more than once, "That is the sum of it, Americans." We just can't have it both ways.

Then there are those who feel unions and their greed are whats pushing outsourcing and moves to cheaper states / countries. I don't know if thats true or not, I just want Marlin and Remington to move to AZ eek

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HaYen
Originally Posted by MColeman

Then there are those who feel unions and their greed are whats pushing outsourcing and moves to cheaper states / countries. I don't know if thats true or not, I just want Marlin and Remington to move to AZ eek

Well that is usually knee-jerk response, I know plenty of union people who do not get lifetime medical, 80% or even an outrageous wage. I believe CA is far more the burden on business than any union.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,470
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.