Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Our local rifle range gets pretty realistic some times.

Attached Images
yukon gun range ehhh.JPG (77.34 KB, 520 downloads)
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Several times while doing last minute sighting guns in the day before opening day (in my old days crazy) a buck has crossed between me and the target.

I can honestly say I never even wanted to shoot one.....mostly because they were smaller but I would be all torn apart if a giant 180" crosses.....hope I never have to be put to the test though I think I would do the right thing.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Wow! That's a good one.

We've had, "Cease Fire!" called so some does could walk between the 150 & 200 yard berms. The range officer has also let it be known that there'll be Hell to pay if anyone shoots the groundhog he feeds.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
tangozulu;
I hope this finds you and yours well today tango.

We have a pretty "wild" range at the club I shoot at, the Southern Okanagan Sportsmen's Association out of Oliver, BC.

One day I was banging away at a 100yd gong on the pistol range with my Security Six when I noticed a 2 point muley bedded no more than 30yds from where the bullets were landing. Strangely he paid no heed to the shooting, which I thought was a little wierd. confused

Mule deer are pretty regular visitors there though.

About 20 years back, the club executive had to enact a �no hunting on club property rule� when a local shot a nice black bear on the hillside above the entrance to the club. Somehow it hadn�t occurred to this chap that it was a very unsafe direction to shoot.

Before that rule was enacted, we were packing up the guns one day on the rifle range when a young male coyote ran up and stood on the berm in front of the 100 yard target butts��yah, I shot him. whistle

We always see lots of California quail there and it is one place in the south valley that I�m aware of where pheasants are seen fairly often.

Anyway that is our range stories. Thank you kindly for sharing yours.

Have a good weekend tango.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/27/10. Reason: changed a word

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
We have had several matches delayed to let deer(slowly) cross the range. They seem to know that they are safe and don't care about the gunfire.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Now,That's a range.

We don't have, within 200 miles of where I live,a rifle range that I know of..Spokane/Missoula and Boise are the closest aka 200 miles.

This is our local range without game this day. grin .

[Linked Image]

With my rest.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by logcutter
Now,That's a range.

We don't have, within 200 miles of where I live,a rifle range that I know of..Spokane/Missoula and Boise are the closest aka 200 miles.

This is our local range without game this day. grin .

[Linked Image]

With my rest.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Very, very jealous...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm with Jayco, we don't have a formal range. I just go to a local farmer[2], set up and shoot!

maddog

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I guess this is showing my hillbilliness,but I have never been to a formal rifle range in my life, with rest and targets.It has always been off the hood of my truck or the back of a lawn chair..Except,Fort Benning Georga, if that counts at pop ups.

It would be nice to have a range all set up to try once,but I don't loose any sleep over it.

Jayco

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Something pretty peacefull lookin about your range. I would be a bit reluctant to make any noise. It looks like there may be a few wild critters just outta sight.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
At my club's old range we had a family of foxes. Would be great fun to watch the kits frolic in the range. After a while momma would call them and they would all scoot. Still had to be careful as sometimes they would continue to tussle behind the backstops after it looked like they had cleared the area.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
At our range over the years I have seen numerous mule deer, whitetails, a couple moose, two bears, and about a dozen elk...all in the line of fire, and activities had to be halted and the critters shooed off... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You might think I'm pulling your leg, but I've had deer walk BETWEEN the bench and target no more than 10 minutes after we quit shooting groups.

Bill

Last edited by tx270; 03/27/10.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
At our range over the years I have seen numerous mule deer, whitetails, a couple moose, two bears, and about a dozen elk...all in the line of fire, and activities had to be halted and the critters shooed off... grin

Ingwe

Ok, you got me beat grin

Bill

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dont think you are pulling my leg..Ive had them walk out while we were shooting, and had to call a cease fire more than once..on one occasion I literally had to walk downrange, cussing and throwing sticks, and still couldnt get the deer to move till I literally walked up and swatted his azz with a stick...it was a whitetail buck of all things....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dont think you are pulling my leg..Ive had them walk out while we were shooting, and had to call a cease fire more than once..on one occasion I literally had to walk downrange, cussing and throwing sticks, and still couldnt get the deer to move till I literally walked up and swatted his azz with a stick...it was a whitetail buck of all things....

Ingwe

Ingwe;
If that isn't "the" definition of ironic, it certainly must qualify as one of the top ones, no?

I used to have a little mule deer buck that would bed down in front of the archery target in our yard.....maybe they are there to test our adherence to the rules?

Have a good weekend Ingwe.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure exactly where you are and don't figure it's open to the public, but I'd bet they have a pretty formal setup at the Flying B in Kamiah. Also, IIRC, I saw a somewhat formal set up near Cavendish. Course the Rod and Gun Club in Stanley is always worth a visit! laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At our range we have had turkeys, wt deer and bobcats wander across. Not bad considering we are only 35 miles away from Toronto which has a population of about 2.5 million people.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have these come across every now and then.

He will use your target to wipe his azz. mad

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The owner of the range here hunts "on" the range on days the range is closed.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,354
Posts18,527,058
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.