Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Have had three custom .375 Wbys. and it is one great cartridge.Used the 300 Swift A frame on Alaska BB (had to shoot one at 12'),elk,interior grizzly and also had a friend take it to Africa,where he used it on buffalo ,etc. It liked RL 19 and would give 2700-2800 fps,loaded Hornady solids for Africa and they seemed to shoot to the same point as the A frames.I beleive Woodleigh makes very good 350 grainers which I would like to try.
I'm sure a good custom loader would provide a superb combination. Good Luck!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not had my .375-Wby to Africa but it has been to Alaska sometime ago. If I were going to be going on your trip for the game mentioned, I would use a 300 grain Swift A Frame bullet also for the big bear and those 250 grain Swift A Frames for everything else on the list. The Swift bullets will give you a much flater trajectory, just in case you might need such. They do retain over 95%o of their original bullet weight and perfect mushroom!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. I just picked up my rifle yesterday (my "instant" background check did not go through all day Saturday). I barely got to look at or touch it before putting it in the hands of a smitty--to insall 11-oz mercury tube and forearm sling swivel for mounting a bipod (I likely will use the bipod in Alaska, but not Africa). Smitty says it will be ready in about a couple weeks. I will start out with the 300gr NPs and 260gr ABs, and then perhaps try out some opther custom loads later this spring.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have shot about everything with the Noslers and been shooting them for better than 60 years on big game of all sorts including all DG except Elephant, Rhino and Hippo perhaps (maybe) and I don't believe there is a better bullet to be had..

The Nosler is the bullet by which all others are compared, that alone tells the story...Every monolithic nut I know invaribley compares his favorite monolithic bullet to the Nosler telling us its better, why is that? smile smile

There are some very fine monolithic bullets out there, like the GS Customs bullets, don't get me wrong I just like to rile the Mono boys to keep them under control. They get anal and out of control if you let'em run with the ball too much!! smile smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Thanks guys. I just picked up my rifle yesterday (my "instant" background check did not go through all day Saturday). I barely got to look at or touch it before putting it in the hands of a smitty--to insall 11-oz mercury tube and forearm sling swivel for mounting a bipod (I likely will use the bipod in Alaska, but not Africa). Smitty says it will be ready in about a couple weeks. I will start out with the 300gr NPs and 260gr ABs, and then perhaps try out some opther custom loads later this spring.

I firmly believe a bipod is a waste for AK hunting. The only places they are useable they are not worth the weight, IMO&E. I love and carry shooting sticks and consider a bipod a joke.

I have seen several attempts at using a bipod and cannot recall a single time when they ended up actually being used.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

I firmly believe a bipod is a waste for AK hunting. The only places they are useable they are not worth the weight, IMO&E. I love and carry shooting sticks and consider a bipod a joke.

I have seen several attempts at using a bipod and cannot recall a single time when they ended up actually being used.
art

My guide is taking me to some pretty open terrain; his clients usually shoot from the prone over a pack; which takes just as long to do as from a Harris bipod; I shoot very well from mine with my similar 340 Wby; and he thinks it's a good idea. I can carry the extra weight.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then I would absolutely go with the guide rec... It is the first instance I have heard of though from a guide. Out of curiosity, did the guide suggest the bipod, or did he approve after you asked about them?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JMHO but I think Art is right;a bipod might be helpful under a very narrow range of circumstances, but I doubt like crazy anyone knows in advance precisely how they are going to shoot an Alaskan BB;and I would not want the thing hanging off my rifle going through brush, or if a shot from another position had to be taken....

I'd practice hard to get along without the thing,and leave it home.Not just for bears, but anything bigger than varmints.....Just my 2 cents smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate you thoughts about the bipod. I will ask my guide again to confirm what to do.

It's not an impulse decision so far. For some context:

* I�ve been planning the hunt already for about a year. I have exchanged more information with my guide than I think is usual both on the phone and by e-mail. This includes his basic list of things to bring, and the very specific list I created of what exactly what I proposed to bring. My guide has always been very honest with me, and not hesitant to suggest that I add or delete something against my initial inclinations. I have completely acceded to his suggestions. He has shooting sticks on his list. We talked about that a fair amount. He never suggested it was a bad idea to go with a bipod if that�s what I�m more used to using. I don�t recall any push-back at all, unlike with other minor issues. But I will ask for clarification next time I talk to him.

* I can remove the bipod from my rifle in about five seconds. If I decide it�s too heavy or protruding, I can leave it in the tent. Rather have it and not need it than vice versa.

* As to the weight, I am working out right now as I type this (computer on the elliptical machine), as I do for an hour or more at least six days a week. This hunt may be somewhat demanding, but won�t be as grueling as a high-elevation sheep or elk hunt.

* This is my first brown bear hunt, but I spent eight years in the Marines and I started hunting animals bigger than varmints 24 years ago. I have hunted deer with a rifle chambered for the 300 Win Mag with a bipod on it. I certainly never have �know[n] in advance precisely how [I was] going to shoot� the deer I�ve shot, and I have used my bipod on less than a quarter of those shots, but I like having it on my rifle for any difficult shot. It just gives me confidence. I always feel (with some merit) that I can shoot with laser-like precision from the prone position with a bipod every time. I have, for years, been practicing shooting from other positions, and will continue to do so. I have not forsaken other shooting positions. I shot platoon high and second in my company at the qualification range in the Marines�shooting at ranges from 100-500yds from the offhand, kneeling, sitting, and prone positions. I know I need to constantly practice at all positions to be good, and I strive to do so.

* We may have some fairly long-range shooting opportunities at wolf and wolverine.

* This is what the areas we will be hunting look like:

[Linked Image]

My guide says, by far, the vast majority of the shots his clients take are after having the time to get into a prone position and shooting from 100-200yds. He rarely has had to go into the alders in this area. If we do, I can�t imagine having to run into the alders without having five second to remove my bipod in the rare chance that occurs.

* I made the best, quickest shot, with the shortest window of opportunity, I have ever made at anything 14 months ago at a deer running for cover at about 70 yds with my bipod-laden 300 WM from the offhand. For that and other reasons, I don�t think the bipod affect my offhand shooting.

I do appreciate your guys' advice. I may leave the bipod behind, or I may leave it in the tent, but I�m inclined to bring it to camp. I do realize that I perhaps may value having a bipod on my hunting rifles more than most, but I�m not sure it�s a good idea to change that now. Maybe I will.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you are comfy with it,take it with you.That looks more like antelope country! grin

I can see how it would be useable in that area....I was just thinking in terms of it being more of a hindrance than a help,but if it comes off in 5 seconds, you can stick it in a pack.
I was raised in the "use a sling" tradition,so my thoughts run that direction when thinking of a rest.

Good luck and have fun! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
If you are comfy with it,take it with you.That looks more like antelope country! grin

I can see how it would be useable in that area....I was just thinking in terms of it being more of a hindrance than a help,but if it comes off in 5 seconds, you can stick it in a pack.
I was raised in the "use a sling" tradition,so my thoughts run that direction when thinking of a rest.

Good luck and have fun! wink

Thanks Bob. My guide flies out to a lake 100 mi inland and floats down to that area. He's never seen another person in the area. Sadly, this may be his last year guiding with all of the regulatory changes designed to drive out the smaller guide services. We were supposed to go last Sept., but he had a fluke health issue on the even of the hunt. So, we hit the reset button.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you shot your rifle to know how differently it shoots with and without the bipod? If the guide suggested sticks up-front I would take the sticks and leave the bipod. You will have a pack to shoot over and the target is hardly going to be prarie dog size or distance.

Alders are a non-issue for two reasons... No alders and willows to speak of and slim chance the guide would let the client go in the thick...

The barrel is already too long for any reasonable use in alders, anyway. Twenty inches seems like a long barrel when you need to swing through in a jungle...
art

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Have you shot your rifle to know how differently it shoots with and without the bipod? If the guide suggested sticks up-front I would take the sticks and leave the bipod.

Thanks for the comments Sitka. I have shot my similar 340 Wby from the bipod. I plan on shooting my 375 Wby both with and without. I can make a decision then. It will be at the smith for another week or so. I haven't talked to my guide again yet, but I will re-raise the issue with him then. Generally, he has had the attitude that, when a client has a preference for some particular type of gear or method, within limits, he doesn't want them to change how they do things for the one hunt. For some reason, I really like shooting from the bipod when in the prone. And the legs pop down and out as fast, and likely faster, than I can situate myself solidly over a pack.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I liked the 250g Swift A-Frames in my 375 H&H for small stuff. You should be able to get 3000 fps with them in your 375 Wby. For big mean stuff, I'd load the new NorthFork 350g Softpoints to 2550 in your 375 Wby. They should expand wonderfully and penetrate like there's no tomorrow.

Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm a big fan of TSX's and use them in my .300 Wby. But, after shooting the 270 TSX's and the 260 gr. Accubonds, I've settled on the Accubonds. They are a bit more accurate in the three different rifles I've tried and I know they work on game at least to the size of Alaskan Coastal Black Bears. (Full disclosure, I base this off a friend that used them recently on a nice 7.5' bear and I've had two different Alaskan guides sing their praises.) I'm headed to Namibia this summer and the .375 I'll be taking will be shooting 260 gr Accubonds.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
I'm a big fan of TSX's and use them in my .300 Wby. But, after shooting the 270 TSX's and the 260 gr. Accubonds, I've settled on the Accubonds. They are a bit more accurate in the three different rifles I've tried and I know they work on game at least to the size of Alaskan Coastal Black Bears. (Full disclosure, I base this off a friend that used them recently on a nice 7.5' bear and I've had two different Alaskan guides sing their praises.) I'm headed to Namibia this summer and the .375 I'll be taking will be shooting 260 gr Accubonds.

Interesting Huntaria. I managed to scare up two boxes of them, and will give them a try when I get my rifle back hopefully this week.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just got it back from the smith with a new Limbsaver pad, mercury tube, 4+1 drob box mag, and the Near Mfg. scope base and rings. Trigger tested out just below 3-lbs. I'll shoot it through my new chrono tomorrow or early next week depending on the weather. Here it is (some with it's 340 Wby brother):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Near Mfg. base and rings:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The bipod/ shooting sticks issue is on I have discussed with my guide on an upcoming brown bear hunt. His terrain in the Talkeetnas doesn't always allow the LOW bipod position due to grasses and low growth vegetation. As I have learned to always have at least one walking stick, I am going to bring both Leki's.
I can easily join them using a fleece headband and modify their height based on the shot at hand. The sticks also telescope. While prone is a stable platform, it may not be possible. If presented, I'll be shooting off my backpack. A sitting or modified kneeling may be necessary. If a bipod can be telescoped for a sitting shot, then ok bring it. I like to dual use of walking sticks and the decreased weight without having a bipod.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/28/10.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The bipod comes off about as fast as scope covers. After seeing the big scope mounted, I just ordered a Bushnell 6500 in 1.25-8x32, which is 2.5" shorted than the one mounted and has up to 6" of eye relief.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,402
Posts18,527,940
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.