Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MN_Mojo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I just have a Marlin semi-auto now that has served me well over the years, but I really want to get a bolt action 22. I like what I see in guns from Kimber, Winchester, CZ, but have never seen any of them in real, what can you suggest?

Work Hard, Play Hard, Die Hard!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mn_mojo- How much money do you have??? The Kimber and Anshutz are high dollar. For the money the CZ-452 is hard to beat. The ones I have seen have been really accurate. The Anshutz have either the 54($) or 64 actions. The Sako's are good also. Ruger's 77/22 is a good choice. Marlin makes some bolt action .22s. The Romanian training rifles seem to be accurate and inexpensive also. I have a Anshutz with the 64 action and a heavy barrel. I have been very pleased with it. What are you planning to do with it? Metallic silhouette, tree rat hunting, target competition, plinking? The price can range from $200 up to several thousand for the competition models. Good luck. Bob

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Savage MKII LV is a good choice. Cost is<BR>around $200. Heavy button-rifled barrel.<BR>Laminated stock from Fajen I believe. And<BR>it is very accurate. Only drawback is a poor<BR>trigger, BUT Rifle Basix will soon have an<BR>aftermarket trigger for the Savage rimfires.<BR>And that makes this rifle a complete bargain.<P>Of course it depends on your ultimate antic-<BR>ipated use for the rifle as the other reply<BR>indicates. But to get started with a good<BR>quality bolt-action rimfire the Savage is<BR>hard to beat without spending alot more <BR>money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MN:<P>Both replies above are to the point. If money is no object, you almost cannot go wrong with the 1710 Anschutz, but you are looking at around $800 plus, for me another $100 for the miestergrade stock. The 54 action is substantially better than the 64 action, but for the average hunting purposes it probably is of no consequence.<P>I may leave one out but I will make 2 lists below: One of quality for the money,with approximate Street prices, in order, based on price, and one of quality, money not considered.<P>Bargains:<BR>Savage Mark II--$200<BR>Cz .22 452--$300plus<BR>Ruger 77/22--$350plus<BR>Sako Finnfire--$500plus<BR>Winchester 52 imitation by Browning--$550 plus<BR>Anschutz 64--haven't priced one<BR>Anschutz 1710--around $750plus<P>In order of quality ON AVERAGE, WITHOUT MAJOR TWEAKING---<BR>Anschutz 1710<BR>Sako FinnFire<BR>Tie: Anschutz 64<BR> Win 52<BR> Cz 452<BR>Tie: Ruger 77/22<BR> Savage Mark II<P>Probably the best absolute buy is the Savage, but the CZ would be in there. On the low end of the money scale, I--and this is only my personal preference---would buy the CZ, and on the upper end the Anschutz but the Sako Finnfire is probably the best buy with price and quality considered. I just bought one. Of course, I just ordered a Mark II too, so I am easy. If you buy a Finnfire, get the Sporter barrel, for some odd reason, the heavy barrels do not shoot as well as the light ones as they come from the factory. <P>Both the Sako and the Anschutz, and maybe the CZ,(I've got one, but have not fooled with it yet) have factory adjustable triggers which will easily make a perfect trigger for hunting. Otherwise, if you want a really good trigger, and, once you use one you won't want anything else, you are going to have to add an aftermarket one. Figure at least $50, if you can do the work yourself, usually pretty simple, but if you have any doubts get a qualified gunsmith to install it. Hope this helps.<P>And guys, I know, I may have left out something, but this was off the top of my head, and if I left out your "Old Reliable Squirrel Murderer" it was not intended as a personal affront. Just as an afterthought, the inexpensive Marlin bolt actions can be good guns, and the triggers are easy to work on in them, if you know what you are doing.<P>Also, I've heard mixed reports on the new Kimbers, have not had one so can not comment.<BR>The old Kimber .22s often were not as accurate as their price would indicate. For the money, I would avoid the old ones, for sure.<BR> <BR>

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a Savage mkII .22lr bolt in SS with syn stock I can tell ya it's a good little shooter, great for squirrels. <BR>Couple weeks ago purchased a Marlin 880SQ, boy oh boy am I impressed! Off the truck hood with a fixed 4x scope I'm shootin 5 shot grps you can cover with a nickel. I'm sure I can shrink that at the range off a steadier rest!! Cost $219. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

220 Swift still king.
IC B2

cs Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you can find one, get a Norinco JW15. I got mine brand new for $75 a few years back and they will out shoot anything that costs up to $300, and maybe more. They are getting very hard to find (for me anyway) because of the chinese gun ban. Me and my Dad are trying to stock up on them, but this is getting hard to do because of availability. If you do get one, hold on to the magazine because they cost about $30 to replace (just a word to the wise).<BR>If you find one, you will not be disapointed, not for the money anyway.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mn_mojo,<P>My suggestion would be to buy the closest bolt action to your big game bolt action.<BR>You hunt with a ruger ? Buy a 77/22...<BR>The idea would be to be able to be used to your stock, trigger, action features, security manipulations, etc...<P>By the way, I bought a 77/22 synthetic, and appreciate a lot its smooth action, well designed security, perfect trigger, ruger mounts, and tack driving accuracy. I prefer it to my Anschutz 1712, which security is noiseful. One detail through: the MC Millan stock on the 1712 is VERY well designed.<BR>olivier<BR>

Age quod agis
M
M
I'll have to throw in with the CZ-452 American Classic. For the fella that stated the JW-15...I assume you know it's a copy (Chinese) of the BRNO#1, which is essentially what the CZ452 is. If you go with a BRNO design (and this is just my opinion) you can't go wrong. ~MarinePMI

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
The Anschutz rifles are of course legendary. If you can afford one, you won't have to look at any others, period. <P>The Sako Finnfire is quite nice, less $$$ than an Anchutz or Kimber, and very accurate. There are also some aftermarket barrels, ect available for it, although they generally shoot very well out-of-box.<P>I have heard generally good things about the CZ452 and actually looked at one in 22 mag one day. Pretty nice wood to metal fit. The stock was shaped and finised well. The trigger was decent but I would get a trigger job if I had one. Overall, they would be pretty good for a mid-$300 gun. <P>The Remington 541-T has been a perenial performer as has the Ruger 77/22. Both of these guns generally need a little tweaking (trigger, bedding, ect) to bring out the best in them. But they <B>are</B> solid. The stocks are a bit slim for my tastes though (I have large hands).<P><B>About Kimber:</B> The Kimbers I have looked at are very nicely finished. Excellent wood and bluing. The wood/metal fit is great. The triggers are generally very nice also. I would love to have a HS model, but I would take it to a gunsmith for a check up right out of the box. This is what the gunsmith that I use had this to say about Kimbers in general (Kimber of America)...<P>"The in-house joke here (meaning at his shop) is that Kimber doesn't own a headspace gauge." <P>They went on to say that they have worked on a number of Kimber rifles and have found a disportionate amount of them to have oversized chambers. Make of it what you will. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>If you can find one of the old Win 52's in good shape, that would be a keeper too. I would love to have one. Ran across one several years ago at a gun shopt for $650. It was a B target model I think. Been kicking myself ever since for not buying the thing.<P>Another one to consider, if you can find it, is the Browning A-bolt 22. I have one that I bought new in 1987 and it has been a very good rifle. Twenty to twenty-five thousand rounds and no problems at all. Although it has had no problems, I did send it to the gunsmith recently to improve the trigger (it had a bit of creep), add a thin buttpad, and check the chamber for the infamous lead ring. They are good rifles if you can find a used one. Browning discontinued them several years ago. [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img]

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as we're throwing used rifles into the mix, if you stumble across a Winchester M320 (or the M310 single shot), give it some consideration. They fetch anywhere from $200 to well over $300 if minty, and are very accurate and well made.<BR>Last year Gun Tests did a report comparing a few older high quality 22's to the upper end new ones. They rated the M320 as a good buy because they're as accurate and well made as new rifles costing more than $400 at today's prices. Paid about $60 for mine, new, back in the early 70's and it is still very accurate. They were made in Australia by the future founder of Kimber of Oregon.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have to respectfully disagree with the recommendation to avoid older Kimbers. I own four Kimber of Oregon 82s, a 82B Super America, a Government Model, an All American Match, and a very early S series Hornet. All are extremely accurate.<P> The most accurate of my Kimbers is a Kimber of America(made in Clackamas, Oregon) 82C 1 of 750 LE with a free floated stainless match barrel and beautiful pillar bedded Claro Walnut stock. This rifle is not to be confused with the rifle coming from Kimber of America in Yonkers, New York. The test target that came with the rifle showed 5 rounds at 50 yards coming to .220". Groups were fired with RWS R-50 and a 36x Leupold. <P> I've yet to shoot the new guns, however, they seem to be solidly built though the finishing is fairly plain compared to a real Kimber 82. I don't use the term "real" to denigrate the Kimber of America guns, which includes my favorite 82C, but rather to clearly differentiate the three different production runs. The test targets I've seen are also average in comparison. They are, however, more than accurate enough for real world conditions and the claw extractor may well provide an advantage. <P> That said most of the Kimber 82s made in Oregon are priced for the collector market. Too many in fact. The odd deal presents itself now and again but they are becoming more and more rare.<P> If I were buying a .22 Sporter, and I could'nt find a real Kimber 82, I would also look at the Cooper 57. Not a low cost alternative though you seem to get what you pay for in better grade American .22 Sporters. That is not intended to include the Dakota which is a nice rifle and fairly accurate though overpriced in my opinion.<P> A Kimber of America, Made in Oregon, 82C is IMHO your best bet for an accurate .22 Sporter that was made to be shot. The 1 of 750 LE guns are occasionally available through the Gunlist in the $900 range. Strongly consider a Leupold scope and Warne rings to compliment these fine rifles.<P> FWIW, it all comes down to personal preference and opinion. And you know what they say about opinions;-). I've shot a few Anschutz rifles and found them to be accurate though I did not care for their stocks and they had a odd safety. Also shot quite a few Winchester 52s, including a real 52 sporter, and found them to be fine rifles though the stock appeared to have a low comb designed for open sights and that detracted from their appeal in my estimation. In the end I would say Kimber produced the finest .22 Production Sporters ever made in the United States.<P>Regards, Matt.<P>Btw, I will admit to having shot one Winchester 52 Sporter that had been restocked, rebarreled, and rust blued by Griffin and Howe in Bastogne walnut that was incredible. They had essentially updated the Classic 52 in a stock, and sightless barrel that was intended for scope use. The owner, however, did'nt seem to be interested in my offer of selling my older brother into indentured servitude in partial exchange for his rifle;-).

NRA Life Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd suggest Rem 541-T. Very accurate, kinda pricy, looks nice, not good trigger or magazine. But if you can see past that buy it. Otherwise go for a Ruger.<P>My penny's worth.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
MN_Mojo,<P>I would agree with Matt concerning the Kimbers. I have owned several over the years and although some don't like the 82C, I've seen a number of them shoot some great groups. They are fine rifles.<P>The Cooper 57 would be my current choice of a walnut stocked rifle. The ones I had my hands on were as nice as any I've seen by any maker. And the new rifles are very accurate, by any standard. Cooper works at their own pace, if you order one, be prepared to wait. About $1200, but it will be worth it...<P>Of course if a synthetic stock does not offend you, Melvin Forbes can put you in business with one of his Ultra Light Arms Model 20 rimfires(my favorite,I own one)for about $850.<P>Good shooting,<BR>JB

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I can recommend the Marlin 881 (81TS) and the Ruger 77/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Re: Kimbers<P>I own several but there is NO doubt that the "of Oregon" had and the new company has a QC problem and that many of their rifles would not shoot as one would expect for a gun costing that much. And very few people have been able to duplicate the factory enclosed targets, ever.<P>If you have any doubt about this go to Benchrest.com, rimfires and check out the current discussion about Kimbers, both old and new. Or punch in Kimber in the archives. And these are people with no ax to grind, their sole interest is in an accurate .22 or how to make one that way. Yes, also without doubt, there are a a good many that shoot well, but there are a good many more that don't. And when spending that much on a rifle, accuracy should be a given. Buy a Sako or an Anschutz and you have a much higher percentage chance of getting an accurate rifle, not a lemon.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
WELL!?<P>What did you get? How does it shoot!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Mojo, do yourself a favor and get a CZ 452 American. I bought mine sight unseen, $290 out the door. It is the sweetest .22 you will ever see for that kind of bucks. I haunt rimfire boards and they all say the same thing, the CZ shoots like a gun that costs twice the money. I shoot honest 1/2" groups @ 50 yards with CCI Mini-Mags. If I want to spend the money, I can shoot 3/8" groups with RWS or green label. This is entry level bench rest groups with an off the shelf rifle.
<br>The trigger is adjustable, the barrel is excellent, the wood is real walnut, and hand checkered. This is a real no loose situation. The best part is, you get to shoot this baby every time you go to the range, and congratulate yourself what a "shooting expert" you are for buying it. This is a modern heirloom rifle, your grandkids will thank you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone have any experience with the Browning copy of the Winchester model 52 sporter? There's one here locally in excellent condition for $450(asking $500). I doubt that's a bargain, but if the rifle shoots well, it's probably not a big mistake either.
<br>
<br>Scott

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently was in the market for an accurate .22 bolt. I considered sako, marlin sq, kimber. norinko, cz, win 52, anchutz(sp?) and any other accurate rifle that came to mind. I ended up with an old mdl 52 heavy target trainer. This is a 1929 vintage. My whole idea was to get a very accurate rifle for little money as possible. I got the 52 with the idea to sporterize it. Well it is looking that I will spend as much money to get what I want as I would have spent for a sako or anchutz. This is just another fine example of how I out smarted myself. All of this said, I doubt I will be disappointed with the end product. The basic rifle is a fine example of American craftmanship. The rifle was built with accuracy in mind. All parts are milled as opposed to being stamped. It has a match chamber. The only thing it lacks is a really modern trigger. It will require some gunsmithing of custom pieces to fit a modern scope and a stock designed for a scope. The current stock has a comb for peep sights and is a tad low for a scope. If I were to do this search again I think I would get a CZ.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pak,
<br>
<br>I went back and took a second look at the rifle. While the metal was in great shape, the wood showed more dings in it than I had noticed the first time around. I've also found new "repro" Winchester 52's for around the same price on the web. So, I passed on it.
<br>
<br>And the CZ452 American is definitely on my list of possibilities, only all the shops around here want $450 if I special order one. Which rather galls me, as I know that if I took a drive to AZ, I could pick one up for under $300.
<br>
<br>Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,062
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.