Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Long time lurker here needing some advice on a new shotgun, please. My wife and I just took the NRA Basic Shotgun instructor course so we can work with Scouts. My old Mossberg 20 just won't fit her. Length of pull and comb are both off and 26 inches of barrel on a pump probably didn't help either.

The instructor handed her a Beretta O/U 20 gage and now I'm on the hook. I don't mind, but the Beretta O/U is a bit pricey. She also handled and is OK with an AL391 but did not shoot it. The 391 would be at the very top end of our budget, in the blued and walnut she prefers.

This will be her gun, based on fit. Recoil is not a problem but it will probably be a 20 for the option of a better handling gun. Primary uses will be clays (skeet) for fun and equipping her for teaching shotgun to the Venture crew (coed side of Boy Scouts.) You can safely assume we will get the fit right, due to a couple pretty good instructor / coaches in the Scout training program.

Yesterday we looked at the CZ Redhead Deluxe. Basspro also had some Stoeger and Savage options. I was fairly impressed with the CZ marked Huglu, but less so with the fit and finish on the Stoeger. How is durability, warranty service, etc on the CZ Huglu? What about the Ruger Red Label if it fits and we can find a deal? Any other options we should track down and see?

Thanks,
BeeMan59

GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Much different guns...the 391 will be much softer in apparent recoil. It's a good gas gun. I also particularly like the newer Franchi gas guns, in 20 and 28 gauge. These are lighter, seem to mitigate kick better than anything around. Very reliable as well.

Moving into the double line will cost you more, but you may want to consider that, depending how the guns feel to you and her. Patience on the used market will often yield a nice deal. I am high on the Beretta O/Us, especially in 20 gauge (the 68_ series). Some like Browning Citori; I'm not keen on the deeper receivers, but they are plenty rugged too. As to the Rugers, I'm not shot with the Red Labels (they rattle like castinets), though the 28 has a nice feel. Jury still out on the Huglu; good words coming in, but don't expect it to hold it's value.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
maybe an 1100 might be answer but if you check the franchi's they are the fastest handling shotgun i've ever hunted with

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my wife is shooting trap with a cz mallard 20 gauge.
she likes it alot.
just started shooting trap maybe 2 months ago, 1 time a week and she's up to a consistant 19 -20.
[Linked Image]
first time out with my 870.
[Linked Image]

and even in heels.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd go pick one out with someone that KNOWS something about shotgun fit. It can't be overstated how important it is for a shotgun to fit you properly.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The CZ's have held up remarkably well. The Huglu shotguns have been around long enough now that any persistent quality issues would have appeared. While like any gun one will break down now and then, the few problems seen have usually been minor. They are definitely a good value.

Berettas are very well made but in recent years there have been some issues with customer service.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm certainly no expert on shotguns.

However, from what I've seen in the bang for the buck dept. one probably can't go wrong with a CZ. All their rifles and shotguns exhibit considerable attention to fit and finish. Their .22s have a reputation for tack driving accuracy, and deliver it for a comparatively very reasonable dollar.

My son-in-law fell in love with a CZ side-by-side 20 gu. last year, and snapped it up for about $800 CDN. Super little shotgun! Even had color case hardening. Very sweet handling, and very well finished!

I'd suggest that if you come across a CZ in the price range you're looking at, you probably can't do much better, if any at all.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd go pick one out with someone that KNOWS something about shotgun fit. It can't be overstated how important it is for a shotgun to fit you properly.

Steelhead is correct the fit is extremely important to hitting consistently

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by tbear99
maybe an 1100 might be answer but if you check the franchi's they are the fastest handling shotgun i've ever hunted with

+1 on the 1100's. I've been shooting these shotguns since they first came out around 1963, Shot Model 58's prior to that.
The 1100 have very light recoil, especially in 20 gage.
I think one of these shotguns in 20 gage would be a best buy for a woman.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for the feedback. We understand about the fit and will get help. We made contacts at 3 local ranges during the instructor course and if possible will try our options before deciding.

BeeMan59

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have no experience with the CZ's, but I know the few shops around here have had very good luck with selling them.

I've got an 1100 in 20 gauge and it's one of my favorites for a reasonably priced gun.

Another thing you could keep an eye out for is an 1100 Special Field. Not many out there, but they're still around.

This one is priced way to high, but you get the idea
http://www.gunsamerica.com/94044721...ing/Remington_1100LT20_Special_Field.htm

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd get the Beretta 391 over all of the other guns you list. It's cheaper than the Beretta O/U (which is a very good gun too), will last forever, and recoils less to boot. This model has been wildly successful with competition shooters and hunters like them too. If your wife shoots it well, there's no reason not to go with the 391, IMO.

Good luck!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Chinook
I'd get the Beretta 391 over all of the other guns you list. It's cheaper than the Beretta O/U (which is a very good gun too), will last forever, and recoils less to boot. This model has been wildly successful with competition shooters and hunters like them too. If your wife shoots it well, there's no reason not to go with the 391, IMO.

Good luck!

The 391 is a FINE shotgun. Many of our skeet and clays shooters up here shoot the 391. Speaks volumns about the Beretta 391.
The Trap shooters are hanging in with the heavy recoiling fixed breach single barrels and O/U's, but I can't dig them.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Browning Gold's are nice handling very low recoil auto's. Like the Beretta's they have some adjustment ability in the buttstock with shims. One I wouldn't recommend is the Red Label. Even in the sub gauges they seem to beat the hell out of people.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I recently bought a 20 O/U. I had boiled it down to The Red Label and the CZ 'till a friend showed me a Savage Milano. It made the other two look like plow horses next to this race horse. It is made in Italy for Savage, some say by Rizzini. To me it compares with Rizzinis that are in the $2,000 range. A great gun for about the same price as a Red Label or CZ.

"Waidmannsheil"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd look at buying a used gun. I have owned a 391 but went back to the 390 because they fit me better. A like new used 20 ga 390 will cost $500-600. A good used 391 will be $600-750.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 03/31/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 300_savage, 264mag, 23 invisible), 14,457 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,964
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.