Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
My back is a mess; ostheoarthritis of the spine, degenerative discs, bulging L4, L5, L5s1 in my lower back, and two more in my neck. Surgery is not recommended at this time. I live with the pain as best I can. I'm hoping maybe a new mattress will help. The Sealy Pillow top Posturepedic ain't cutting it anymore- I wake up sore as hell every morning. If I weren't swimming and hanging like a bat on my inversion table, I probably wouldn't be walking all too well.

Anyone have experience with Select Comfort (Sleep Number), TempurePedic (memory foam), or Duxiana (Dux bed)?
From the bit of research I've done, these are considered to be the best of the best for those with my condition. I'm kind of leaning towards the Sleep Number; I know a few guys with back trouble that said theirs really helped.
Jim

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ime if you're single invest in a good bed.

if married, spend the loot on a really comfortable couch

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
these rock if you are a costco member
NovaForm

we've had ours 4 years and still love it

Last edited by nimrod1949; 04/01/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My back is a mess too. There is a mattress somewhere on my bed, I haven't seen it in years.. I usually end up sleeping on top of 4 dogs and three cats that have made it their home. mad

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Temper-Pedic - well worth the money. I, too, had back problems ( although not as bad as yours ), and after a few weeks with the Temper-Pedic, they went away. Very nice mattresses.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
didnt have the $2000 to drop on a Tempurpedic matress that we wanted.....to get by for now we bought 2 memory foam mattress toppers, one is a 3 inch 5 pound density, the other a 4 inch 4 pound density and these sit on top of a really firm normal mattress......i love the stuff.....when i first bulged the two disks in my lower back the only time i was without pain was when i laid in bed, took the pressure off those two disks.....we purchased the toppers from overstock.com and picked them up for about $320 total.....if yah have the money i recommend going with the real deal....if you dont the toppers seem to be a good way to tide yah over until yah got the money for better....

Last edited by rattler; 04/01/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tempurpedic is top notch, in my experience.

Avoid Sleep Number beds like the freaking plague. I stayed one night in a Radisson, and they "feature" Sleep Number beds. It was the most uncomfortable rack I've ever slept on.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tempurpedic lives up to its reputation. I love ours.

When single. I slept on a water bed. Great for 1, not for 2.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are the Tempurpedic beds hot?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Are the Tempurpedic beds hot?

the toppers arent to me and i tend to sleep hot anyway.....havent noticed that they are any different than a normal mattress in that respect....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good. All I need now is 2 grand. cry

Seriously, I'd like to get one and my wife has been after me about it.

JM

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

levrluvr:

My back is a mess, too. Years of pain, including surgery. If you're morbidly interested, I'll go into details (you can compare!) via PM, but generally don't like to whine in public.

After using many mattresses, I now have a Select Comfort/Sleep Number. It works for me. It works for my wife, who has one hip going bad. We have the King, with dual controls.

It's just about impossible to describe in words why it doesn't hurt me, why I don't hurt bad when I get up in the morning. (Assuming I keep up on my back exercises.)

Best thing to do is to go to one of their stores when you can be there for at least one full hour. Lay on the thing. Lay there as long as they'll let you. Play with the settings.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. I bought a single Select Comfort for my 88-year-old mother who has severe osteoporosis, curvature of the spine, bone spurs on her vertebra and arthritic changes in her vertebra. You want to know about back pain? The Select Comfort is the only bed she can sleep on without misery.

Momma loves it. Little Momma loves it. And I wouldn't be without the thing.

Your spine may vary.

- Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

i have one of these:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...oam-Mattress-Topper/1657609/product.html

on top of one of these:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sensus-Memory-Foam-3-inch-Mattress-Topper/3657735/product.html

cheaper than when i bought mine.....i put them on top of my regular firm mattress and its been the best $300 and change i have ever spent......saving our pennys and will get the full blown $2000 mattress someday but for $300 and change this buys us some time.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking at a tempurpedic myself, Momma and I both want one. right know I use a invert bench for my back problems, I spend about 30 minutes a day on it, momma got it for me for my Birthday, and all I can say is it kicks ass, back feels a whole lot better after hanging upside down for a bit.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I got a water bed mattress that looks like a regular pillow top. It is great for my back, but I still sleep with a pillow under my knees. I laid down on a tempurpedic mattress at a furniture store and it was too hot for me. I usually sleep on top of the covers or just under a sheet in the summer. We got my daughter a memory foam mattress topper when she was pregnant and she said it helped a whole lot with her back. There is no one size fits all when it comes to beds.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by amax155
I got a water bed mattress that looks like a regular pillow top. It is great for my back, but I still sleep with a pillow under my knees. I laid down on a tempurpedic mattress at a furniture store and it was too hot for me. I usually sleep on top of the covers or just under a sheet in the summer. We got my daughter a memory foam mattress topper when she was pregnant and she said it helped a whole lot with her back. There is no one size fits all when it comes to beds.

you want frustrating with sleeping temps......my wife is always cold, she aint happy unless its 75 or above.....i quit wearing a coat and stick to t-shirts about the time it hits 20.....so we sleep with a down comforter and two other heavy bedspreads in the winter to keep her warm and with the window open and fan blowing on my face to keep me cool crazy

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The wife keeps the heater in the water bed on all the time. That is why I sleep on top of the covers in the summer. After Katrina and the power was out, We pulled the pillowtop and covers off and lay on the mattress to stay cool. She didn't say a word about being too cold then.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

We had a tempurpedic mattress for some time and just had the factory come and pick it up. They didn't argue and gave us a full refund. My wife was getting severe headaches and I had allergies acting up (both went away when we were not sleeping on the mattress). The foam in them is primarily made from petroleum and it off-gases terribly (you can even smell it). It was very comfortable as a mattress, but we couldn't tolerate sleeping on a toxic waste site. We now have Air Loom and love it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We have a tempurpedic as well and it is great. That said, all I could think of when sliding the old credit card was the few nice guns or ??? I could have bought for the same bucks. I still do not understand why mattresses are so darn expensive, technology??? Who would have thought that a mattress would cost twice what a nice PC could be had for...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in a mattress store that sold tempurpedics. I was talking to some people and they were looking to replace their tempurpedic. They had it for a couple years and it was junk.According to them. They were looking at regular matresses.

No first hand experience.But that is what I was told first hand.

Bill/WI

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,571
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.