-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi Gentlemen I am seeking some information on the 303 Savage. I just Inherited a savage 99 in 303 Savage from some friends of the family, and I believe I'm going to let my grandson use it for deer season this year. Now down to the just of the question can you form 303 Savage brass from 30-30 brass. The dimensions seem to be close enough to do so, but I thought I would check to see if someone else has been down this road before me.

Thanks Shipster

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nope. The 30-30's diameter just above the rim is too small. There may be other reasons too.

Brass is available from Huntington's. It lasts a long time if you don't hotrod it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've heard of guys getting one firing with .30-30 brass, but I wouldn't even think of it. Anybody doing it would be a candidate for this year's Darwin Awards (right up there with mounting a JATO rocket on a Buick). I value my eyes too much just to save a couple of nickels (not to mention my cute little button nose!). Lots of sources for brass- Norma, Graf's, Bertram, Huntington's, etc., etc. A little time spent noodling around on the internet will scare up a source. Not generally cheap, but loaded to sane levels in a tight rifle it'll last a long time.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"Thanks guys" I went back and checked the case dimensions except this time I put on my reading glasses and saw the difference in the base and was sure glad I checked with you guys first. Thanks for the leads on the brass.

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
There was a fellow here, Les, that developed a method of making .303 Saqvage brass from .307 Winchester brass. Works well but is labor intensive.

Reform .307 Winchester brass in a .303 Savage die. I suggest using Imerial Sizing Die Wax for the lubricant when reforming the brass. I tried using a spray lubricant, forget which brand, and ended up getting a case stuck part way in the die. I took a four foot cheater bar and slipped it over the handel of my two week old RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press and ended up breaking the press where the lever screws into it. RCBS did replace the part with no questions asked. I would have paid for the part though as I aqbused the press. Imperial Sizing Wax has worked for me with no stuck cases.

Once the .307 case is reformed there will be a "belt" on the cartridge web making it look like a belted cartridge. This belt must be turned down to give the proper case diameter in that area. I turned the "belt" off by lightly seating a bullet upside down in the case mouth, chucking the neck of the brass in a drill press and then using a file on the belt as the drill press spun the brass. Afterwards I used a bullet puller to extract the lightly seated bullet. I used the same bullet over and over in the process of reforming the 50 pieces of brass I did.

As the "belt" is only on the solid web of the case base removing metal there will not compromise the case integrity or strength.

The reformed brass must also be trimmed to length.

As I said, this method is labor intesive but works. I did this for 50 pieces when .303 Savage brass could not be purchased. If you can buy good brass then that may be the better path to travel.

I still have another 50 pieces of .307 winchester brass. Someday I will reform it to .303 Savage but it won't be in the near future. When I do I will have my lathe set up. I think that will make turning the "belt' off a bit easier.

Vlad

IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Q
Shipster,
I have made 303 Sav. brass from the following cases, 220 Swift, 303 British, 30-40 Krag, 307 Win. Those are the most commonly used cases for reforming. Believe me when I say unless you are extremely bored and have a lot of time on your hands it is best to pay the freight for new properly sized cases. I did it just to see how much trouble it would be. Plus I am retired and have the time and occaisonal periods of boredom. Buy the new brass and enjoy.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,106
Posts18,522,502
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.