Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Good point Salmonella. I feel the same way when I hunt out of state.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Salmonella
A Wyoming Game & Fish officer told me once that in his experience, he was generally surprised at how successful California hunters seemed to be while hunting in his state.
I have a hunch it is because we hunt blacktails in July and August in 100 degree heat in dry, brushy, vertical country.
When they get to hunt somewhere else in October, it almost feels like we are doing something wrong.
laugh

Interesting observation. I've hunted a lot of deer in central/southern Calif., and I've found Wyoming mulies significantly easier to hunt. I'm actually still looking for a trophy "true" Calif. blacktail, which means it has to come from north of the line... so if any of you guys know guides/outfitters with access to legit trophy blacktails in NW Cal or SE Oregon, let me know, will you? Thanks.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Like this one?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
KW,

Arrow Five and MUM both have good hunts, and there are smaller outfits as well. Have you talked with any yet?

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Rancho Loco - Yeah, that one would do in a pinch. I'd like to see him when he grows up. wink

HunterJim - No, I'm really just starting to ask around. I thought Arrow Five was south of the line? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else... maybe Camp Five. Do you have any experience with those outfits? All my Calif. deer hunting has been south of the official line.

I see you're retired USN. Did a tour myself a long time ago. 3.5 out of 4 years in WESTPAC. My son wrapped up a tour as a CTR last year and is now in Mesa College in San Diego. What do you do these days?

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
KW,

Ah WESTPAC!

I have retired now I think 3 times, so I think it will stick this time around. I live in San Diego about a mile from Mesa College, and my wife enjoys time with the grandkids (7 now). I don't do any Navy stuff, except write letters in the local fish wrap commenting on things.

I have met Jim at Arrow Five and you can hunt blacktail with him, I know the folks at Camp Five and they are in the SLO area -- definitely south.

jim

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Were you black-shoe or brown-shoe Navy? Ever have any dealings with USS Mars or USS Haleakala? Several of the guys from the HockeyPuck (our nickname for Haleakala) are thinking about trying to have some sort of reunion in San Diego this year.

I think I've looked at Arrow Five's web page but wasn't all that impressed with their deer. Looks like their average buck may be a 3x3, if memory serves correctly.

E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Hunting Black tails in N California is not the same as hunting in the NW Oregon and I assume NW Washington. I have spent time in Southern Oregon and is different than NW Oregon. Its a lot more open down south than up this way. Maybe that is why the bucks are bigger down there???

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Romey hit it on the head...
They dont get big and mature by being dumb, no matter the species

I grew up hunting Blacktails, and have done a bit of Mulie hunting but no experience with the Eastern Whitetail. A few years back a biologist here in Oregon did a large trail camera study of migratory Blacktails on public land. The things that really stood out was the number of large bucks, and that they were almost all photographed moving at night.

My girls hunt Blacktails but they think it's easy!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Were you black-shoe or brown-shoe Navy? Ever have any dealings with USS Mars or USS Haleakala? Several of the guys from the HockeyPuck (our nickname for Haleakala) are thinking about trying to have some sort of reunion in San Diego this year.

I think I've looked at Arrow Five's web page but wasn't all that impressed with their deer. Looks like their average buck may be a 3x3, if memory serves correctly.

KW,

Submarines enlisted, and black shoe Navy after I was commissioned (cruisers and destroyers). Mars yes, Hockey Puck no. There are a lot of reunions in SD every year.

A lot of folks are looking at 3X3 blacktails as the standard, but you can find a 4X4 if you get good enough at it. Jim & Tina S. are nice folks, but I have not hunted with them (know folks who have).

Scott Haugen's book is good, as is Boyd Iverson's by the way.

good hunting...jim

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Very nice deer! Are those Cascade bucks?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've hunted Blacktails on the Olympic Penn. every year for the last 24 years. Eastern Wa White tails and muleys a few times.
Muleys in Co a couple of times, White tails in NW Idaho every year for the last 10 years. I made a couple of trips to Eastern Montana for white tails. Of all of them I've hunted the little blacktails out here are my favorite to hunt. The deer around here are about the same size as the Sitka blacktails I seen in SE AK.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Wow, JO's count had increased by 6 in a year, lots of Oregon tags.

Laffin! He did kill a small buck and a doe (I think) last year.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Calvin.
Been out after kings yet?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
No, my boat is in the shop. I've been steelhead/trout fishing the last 3 weeks. Hoping to get the boat back this week, and then I'll be out. I'm more interested in Halibut, to be honest with you. I love those halibut enchiladas.

You have any bear plans? I'm doing a 5 day bear hunt out on the boat in a month. Hoping to find a big black bear. Also got drawn for a kodiak brown bear tag for spring 2011. That's going to be a great hunt.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm not going to get any hunting in until August bear season.
I just went back to work last week afer a month and a half off so my hunting fund is low this spring. Summer run stealhead starts next month, I'm going to spend more time of the rivers this summer.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
http://blacktailcountry.com/forums/index.php? is full of good folks who seem to know about blacktails. Check out the trophy pics to get a feel for how the vegetation and terrain in vary around the country.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think we're lacking much in folks around here who know how to get into Blacktails.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Agreed, but there are some folks at BTC who don't post here, plus a lot of talk about good local spots.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Wow, JO's count had increased by 6 in a year, lots of Oregon tags.

Just for the record, Steelhead is lying here. Surprise.

I've seen some big mule deer bucks while elk hunting in Eastern Oregon. This would be a week or so after the mule deer season. Just going from that, mule deer hunting appears to me to be a whole different ballgame, involving more longer-range glassing and just more ability to "see" in general. And that lines up with what my buddies who mule deer hunt, but don't blacktail hunt, have to say on the subject. They can't stand being in a jungle where you can't see deer. It's all I really know as far as deer hunting so it's fine with me! smile

On public land, in this area, deer numbers are fairly thin. You can go a LONG time between seeing deer, and I'm talking does here too. When you can only see 20-30 yards in any direction it makes it different. At least compared to the mule deer territory I've been in.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 16,810 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,188
Posts18,543,322
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.