Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Another thread on this site got me to re-thinking just which "configuration" of "improved" 220 Swift I should go custom with?
My question to you Rifle Cranks then is which 220 Swift cartridge configuration do YOU prefer - or are most interested in?
I have always wanted to "improve" a Swift and often thought the 220 Wilson Arrow might just be the go to version of "Swift Improving" for me.
I have shot Rifles owned by friends in caliber 220 Wilson Arrow and 220 Weatherby Rocket along with the many 220 Swift Rifles I have and still own.
Anyone have any preferences and why?
220 Wilson Arrow?
220 Weatherby Rocket?
220 Swift Ackley Improved?
220 Swift (the original!)?
I do know this that one of my 6 current 220 Swift Varminters absolutely "EATS" brass!
And a couple more of my Swifts are constantly needing trimming.
Maybe I have my dies set wrong?
I am not "hot-rodding any of them.
I have heard from their owners that the 220 Wilson Arrow cartridge is very easy on brass - I don't know for sure.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If i was going to use anything other than the standard it would be the Ack and this should help with the case stretching

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
VG,

the Swift is one of the cartridges on my short list, that I have no played with and desire to do so. that and the 6 x 45...

Would be interested in hearing about your brass stretching issues.

people say that the 22.250 needs trimming a lot also, and I am not seeing that problem, owing more than a couple in that chambering.

seems to me a tight chamber would prevent that brass from being able to stretch, if it has nowhere to stretch toward.

must be your chamber that is causing the stretch of the brass.

one my 22.250s, I have a tight chamber, but also don't redline them for MV.

I have debated on making one into a 22.250 AI just to play with that stretching issue or lack thereof, in the AI's case.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Of all the Improved Swift versions I favor P.O.Ackley's.
Would I use it? Only in a #1 and with a fast twist. Heavy bullets & slow powder to lessen the overbore capasity issue.
In a bolt I would go with the 22-6MM AI.with the same fast twist for the same reason. I don't like the Swift case in a bolt. I had feeding problems with my first one in a M-77.

I do like my regular Swift in my #1B.

Even though the cases do grow with the Swift pressures.
I wouldn't use the term case streching but instead brass flow.
P.O.Ackley brings this subject up in his two volume set.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
NWPA: That Swift brass of mine is EITHER stretching or flowing - I do know I need to trim it VERY often, and again I am not hot-rodding this Rifle or any of my Swifts.
All of my Swifts are bolt action - one of those is a single shot.
Mine all feed rather reliably.
Including my older M-77 Ruger.
Its still worth the fuss and bother to use the Swift for certain things.
Long live the 220 Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: John, yes indeed it might be the chamber that causes the brass to lengthen enough after each shot that it need be trimmed.
I have thought of trimming to .010" shorter than recommended length - that would give me maybe 2 or 3 firings til I need to get out the Wilson Case Trimmer!
The offending Swift was manufacured by the Ruger Company back in 1976.
It shoots pretty fair so I put up with it.
I have not noticed the extent of brass lenghtening in any of my 22-250's that this Swift exhibits.
And my other Swifts are more manageable when it comes to case lengthening.
Yeah for sure give a Swift a try!
They are "special".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I own or have owned many swifts, the brass does stretch and lengthen more than with a 22-250. I switched to Norma brass about 7-8 years ago and cut this problem in half.
I have thought about going AI but would never do so without also going to a 1-8" or 1-9" twist to take advantage of heavier, higher B.C. bullets.
RC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wore out a Lilja #6 1-14" @ 26" .220 AI barrel (2,000+ rounds) with one box of 50 brass....and the brass is still good.
52grSMK
40.5grs VVN550
Federal brass
Federal 210M primer

IMO its worth it just for the mechanical gains...

Rifle is a Sako L579

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Rockchuck828: I use Norma brass in my Remington 40XB-KS in 220 Swift.
It is fine brass and in fact I have been looking for some more of it to replace my present supply.
I have NEVER used anything in this 40X but Norma brass and thus I can not comment on its comparative value or life spans with other brass brands.
Your observation about Swift brass "NOT stretching or lengthening" MORE than 22-250 brass is not something I would concur with after 45 years of useages of both cartridges!
AND, to repeat my one Swift is just a buggerer when it comes to case stretching and as I stated before I do NOT hot-rod any of my Rifles including the Swift and my 22-250's.
Whenst one gets into the upper echelons of speed/performance for a particular caliber (size of bullet) then you pay for it in case life and case work!
My good friend Ben gets 3 (three!) per case in his custom 338/378 Weatherby!
He "hot-rods" it in a 30" barrel though.
That gets your attention at $3.00 per brass case (or $1.00 in costs per firing in brass cost alone!!!)!
Thanks for your thoughts on the AI Swift - I have no interest in any bullets heavier than 55 grains for my Swifts or in the future for an Improved Swift.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Scenarshooter: If'in my "calcuulaatin" is correct that is 40+ reloads per piece of Federal 220 Swift brass!
You got your monies worth out of that brass - and that rechambering/rebarreling job!
I like Federal brass and use it in MANY of my Rifles.
Although I have not found any for my Swifts.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would go Weatherby for the 'cool' and 'different' factors. Should be identical in performance to the AI version and similar. Does the 224 WR have the venturified radiused shoulder? If so, then so much the more to go that route for feeding and cool looks.

I have also experienced too much (for me) case stretching with the non AI versions of the 22-250 and 220 Swift. Love 'em as improved rounds.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mark, nope on the shoulder.

Essentially a 35 deg. Improved Swift.
[Linked Image]

The Wilson Arrow has a little less cap than the std. Swift, but less on the stretch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that the Arrow has both a longer neck and a longer case body so the capacity is not changed much, if any. The case for the rocket can be fired formed where the arrow needs to be sized first. One less step forming rocket cases. The rocket case capacity is increased slightly.

Neal
NRA Endowment Life Member.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Nope, Arrow has shoulder pushed back, so case body is shorter, but case is blown out.

Agree on the Rocket.....

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
VG:

I do know about the trimming you have to do. I am running my Swift at full throttle(55gr.B-Tip3800fps). So I not only have to trim everytime but also I set up a reamer in my Foster trimmer instead of the pilot since my necks get thick also.
It has to do with the Swift case design. Lots of body taper and shallow shoulder angle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never tried an improved version so have no comment on them. In my opinion the .220 Swift stretches more than any other cartridge I have ever used. Since I use mine casually the trimming is a PIA but something I put up with.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GO AI or Wby Rocket and 1) your stretching troubles will go away and 2) your case capcity and thus speeds will go up. Good things both.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I resize with the Lee collet die; trim about every 4-5 firings. Loading 55gr V-max to 3750+ from a M70 heavy varmint.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That looks like a pretty mild load, with a slow burning powder, say close to 50,000 psi. Which would explain the very long case life. Correct ? That would also extend the life of the barrel as well, right ? E

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
NWPA & 1OntarioJim: Thanks for carrying on and for your comments whilst I was away on a Colony Varmint/Predator/Wild Turkey Hunting Safari!
And "I" would concur on the Swift stretching as much as OR more than any other cartridge I have loaded for (including Weatherby's!)!
And I have loaded for a LOT of cartridge calibers.
Yep - in order to enjoy the wonderful Swift you need put up with certain less than desirable traits (heating barrel, recoil, expense, trimming cases, barrel wear etc).
Long live the 220 Swift!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (1lesfox, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 21, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.