Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I'm new to 4-wheelers. So far, I've added a Warn 2500 winch and a Cycle Country snowplow to mine, and am pretty happy with both. There's so much stuff out there ..... cargo boxes, gun cases, lights, etc., not to mention do-it-yourself ideas. Found anything to recommend, or to stay away from ?

GB1

B
B
Up here in AK we all have a good set of Hotgrips and a Thumb warmer. I use them all the time, especially when plowing.<P>My wife and I have tank bags very usefull. We keep towstraps and emergency stuff in there. Also a great place for your handguns.<P>A gun boot and good mount are very important. I have made some but a factory one is usually better quick disconnect is important.<P>6X6

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My favorite addition to a ATV is a good fat saddle horse, that will stand and pack a deer or whatever.<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
First for me was Polaris's gun case, and mounting bracket w/lock. #2 will be a mounted battery trickle charger. #3 will be a camo cover. #4 will be a tank mounted map bag. #5 I wont't put a winch on, but instead carry a small block and tackle. #6 and on will be some sort of bag for fold up shovel, ax, saw, and tools.<P>Phil

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For where I hunt the most important acc. is an extended rack. Big enough to fit climbing stands, deer, and whatever else you need to carry.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Extended rear rack, tree stand carrier, Finn-Grip 2-rifle carrier. Can carry rifles, 1 large passenger & 2 deer or hogs (150 lb each) Yup, I DO ignore the load ratings & warning stickers. ( Doesn't everyone? [Linked Image] )badger.<P>------------------<BR>Keep the traditions alive, take your child hunting.....

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stickers? We don't need no stinking stickers!

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Does anyone else think that the load ratings are kind of ridiculous. I know they have to be on there for liability reasons but you would have to quarter a deer just to get it back to camp. No big deal just something that gets on my nerves.<BR>

B
B
You could sit the deer between your legs, but then you'd be violating the "no passengers" sticker.<P>Fin grip gun holders, Moose handguards, Rear rack bag, Warn 2000 w/ fairlead, homemade gas tank mount GPS holder.<P>Buckshot<BR>'99 Sportsman 500<BR>'01 Sportsman 500 H.O.<BR>'01 Sportsman 90<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Buckshot (edited March 16, 2001).]

S.C.<BR>'99 Sportsman 500<BR>'01 Sportsman 500 H.O.<BR>'01 Sportsman 90<BR>
'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'
My favorite ATV accessory is a big bull elk on the back rack! [Linked Image]<BR>DS

'Slayer
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought my Polaris Trail Boss new in '86, I've always thought about getting a snow blade for it but didn't know if a .250cc fairly small ( by todays standards ) 4-wheeler would have enough umph to move any decent snow. I can use my tractor for big snows but thought the Polaris might be a good way to go for smaller snows. Would I be disappointed if I bought a blade or could it do the job?
<br>Jeff

K
kev Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
HI,
<br>
<br>MR. Atkinson you are something else, they broke the mould when they made you.I assure you SIR this is a compliment. A horse you may have something. Thanks,kev

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got mine set up with an extended rack, gun racks across the handlebars (don't put them anywhere else unless it's cased, mud will get all over your rifle), and a winch. I will add a front basket rack this year with a ammo can mounted inside it, a friend has this setup and I'm very impressed with it. The only other thing I might add is better tires, but to be honest it's pretty much impossible to get stuck with the stock ones.
<br>
<br>Ray just likes horses because they hadn't invented the internal combustion engine when he started hunting and he's still a little suspect of them. [Linked Image] I swore off of horses after putting up with those miserable beasts biting me, kicking me, stepping on me, $hitting all over the place, etc. I've now found the perfect use for a horse, they fill out an Ol' Roy dog food bag mighty well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorit ATV accessory is two sticks of TNT attached to the frame. Jus kiddin'. I know you fellers is all honest, law abidin', responsible ATV users. The fellers I see ruttin' the hill ahind my property, or the ones huntin' off 'em in the wilderness are the minority. Funny thang, I don't never see nun of the majority users. Whar you fellers ridin' at?

Mule
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
and of course mule you would not be the type of mule rider that would ride thru the meadow in the wilderness area that I had hiked 3 miles to get to. that I was watching at prime morning hunting time yaking at the top of your lungs with your buddie. right? tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
ok now that I have that off of my chest. I keep hearing about jerks such as you describe, but have yet to see them. I use my atv like you would a heavy duty 4x4 I ride it in on jeep trails that I do not care to take my truck on and on atv trails. when I get to the area I want to hunt I park it. I haver never taken my atv off of an approved trial and never will. anyone that sees people taking atv's or any type of 4x4 off of approved trails should report them. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I cain't say I'd be ridin' anywhars after daybreak durin' huntin' season. An fer the recerd, mules is fer packin', hosses git rode. Lemme relate a lil' story 'bout a late season elk hunt 3 years ago. I was done guidin' an' went to a place whar a cow could still be shot up to Dec 5. Parked at a friends ranch an' hiked 'bout 3 miles, then climbed up on a saddle overlookin' 2 drainages, right on the edge of the wilderness. Figured it was a good place to catch a runnin' herd. I was watchin' a bunch of mulies fightin' an screwin' jus afor dawn when the lights from a hunnert ATVs started rollin' up the trail towards me. I sat there an listened to those infernal machines zippin' this way an thet til noon, when I gave up an' headed back down off the saddle. These fellers were huntin' off their vehicles, an' at one point, a string of nine pulled up an asked ifn I had seen any elk. I got more stories but yall git the point. What bothers me mos, is these folks don't see nuthin' wrong with crossin' boundrys an' tearin' up ground. With all the peoples out there usin' an' abusin' once remote areas, I jus cain't help think what will be left of my world in 30 years.

Mule

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,551
Posts18,472,981
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.