Huntaria, thanks. I will pass that on.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only load that regulates for me in a Westley Richards is, for lack of a better term, the Siefried load of 89-90 gr of R15 under 6.5 gr of dacron with the Woodleigh soft for 2130 f/s.
Reduce by 2 gr for the solid for the same velocity.

One thing to keep in mind is quite a difference in case thickness. Federals weigh about 320 gr while Bertrams are at 350. Best not to mix them up.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Start at about 103 grs. of IMR-4831 and see where it shoots..You have to find its regulation load...You can go up to about 108 grs. from there. I personally wouldn't go above 108 grs and thats usually 2245 FPS and kicks like a mule..Load up 4 or 8 each 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 and 108 and head for the range and shoot them until you get a tight group...

Better yet, but seems to complicate some folks is to shoot them until the first two shots cross each other then back up until they do not cross, keeping in mind that if they are too far apart then UP the load until the groups come together, if they cross each other back off about a grain or two. YOu goal is to make them come together as close as possible without crossing..be sure and have a pad on the bench to number your shot as rt. barrel and lft. barrel. Don't flinch or your toast.:)

To know your goal, before you do the above, you must first shoot a couple of groups with EACH individual barrel and find out which side shoots the WORST and that is the best you can expect from your double rifle as to accuracy, therefore that will be your goal with both barrels..A double will only shoot as well as its WORST barrel...After you have determined your best group, fire a few groups to varify it..then sight it in at 50 or 75 yards. I personally like 75 yards.

The load that I have hunted with the most is 85 grs. of RL-15 and 5 grs. of dacron with both Woodleigh softs and solids, it usually shoots them together in most rifles btw..recoil is very mild for a .470 and it kills buffalo exceptionally well at 2020 FPS...It also has a tendency to shoot to the same POI as my IMR-4831 regular loads for some reason that I do not completely understand but then understanding a double rifle is a oxymoran anyway, they just do what they do smile smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I couldn't make RL15 regulate, but that was this individual rifle.

One thing I would add to Ray's advice is to make sure you're holding the gun like you would if you were hunting. It is best to use a standing rest (I built one--they are essentially a tall bench rest), while resting supported forearms/elbows and taking a firm hold on the rifle. This can make a difference at longer ranges. While I know these guns really only need to be minute of buffalo, they will shoot very well with just a little care.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ray/ Savuti: Thanks much...more great stuff!

IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Has any one heard that you should not shoot Barnes Solids through a double rifle as it might harm the barrel?

�You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.� Admiral Yamamoto
www.chefgonehunting.com
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've heard that, but do not know if its based on fact or speculation. I shot Barnes XLC's in the Heym .470 and they regulated. I had no problems, but its owner was a bit nervous about this, so we went to the Woodleighs. After this, he decided he wanted to try TSX's. They crossed. To paraphrase Ray, a double rifle is like a woman. You need to keep trying stuff to see what they like blush

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 04/02/10.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
While I haven't personally seen it,, (OSR) I personally know a guy who has that have seen it and I'll never throw any of them down my barrels. The North Folks and one from South Africa(forgot the name) as well as the new ones from Woodleigh, have much smaller driving bands and are supposed to be all right. But with all the other premium slugs available.... Why take a chance of a major problem?

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
+1 Too expensive to be too exotic. That is why we settled on Woodleighs for full power and LBT's w/ 5744 for reduced loads.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AJcaturano
Has any one heard that you should not shoot Barnes Solids through a double rifle as it might harm the barrel?

Anthony is the fellow to whom I sent all the posts you guys put up; after reading all that good info, he decided to join smile

Anthony welcome to the CF!

IC B3

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
well, welcome aboard then! keep us up to date on your progress. smile

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
THanks for all the help guys!!! I am waiting for the brass to come, hopefully tomorrow.

�You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.� Admiral Yamamoto
www.chefgonehunting.com
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Theres a good thread about 470 loads going on at AR also. It muct be getting popular huh? I'll stick with the 450,, (I heard they lifted the ban in Sudan and India wink )

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I am waiting for my dies to come via UPS any minute. One more question. Crimp or no Crimp? I assume crimp into the band!

www.chefgonehunting.com
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
definitely crimp. and a fairly heavy one at that (0.008-0.010").

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bob, you strike me as a guy who'd get a kick out of a double. I am "doubleless" right now but they are intriguing. Mine was beautiful to look at but hard to please when being fed except if it was her regular Norma diet that she grew up on. Finicky is as finicky shoots.

That and the open sights were problematic but, really, at the ranges they are made for, one shouldn't fret too much if the rear sight is a bit blurry. And, I'm one who just couldn't continence a scope or a red dot on one.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I crimped my 450NE and 500/450NE for a while then discovered that no crimp was alot more consistant. Try a few of each and IMO you'll stay away from crimping. Even with the recoil you'll see that they won't change length. Remember this isn't a box magazine rifle. Not all the rules apply.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

www.chefgonehunting.com
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you will get Wrights book,"Shooting the British Double Rifle" he agrees. No Crimp. I didn't bother reading it til recently, I could have saved lot'sa powder and bullets if I had it earlier.
Huntingtons has the best price recently

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Goodnews: Maybe one of these days.....I have only fired one double,a 375.

But now I'll just shoot Anthony's to try it...LOL! grin

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,907
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.