Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
A friend and I want to go over to Eastern Oregon (we're in So. Oregon) for a few days in June. What should we not miss?

We'll be leaving Southern Oregon middle of June and coming back about five days later. We want to shoot/hunt (absolutely), fish (maybe), cook over an open fire, and we'll be pulling an "offroad" tent trailer with a 4x4 pickup (so we won't have to stick to paved roads...forest service roads and what-not will be fine).

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
you'll miss the good sand rat shooting by about two weeks.
can you bump it up?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
No, tied to kids schedule until middle of June.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steens is awesome that time of year. That's where I'd go if I was starting in S. Oregon.

Incredible scenery... hot springs... remote... great fishing... dunno what you'd hunt though. Jackrabbits maybe?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I left a steel plate up above a great primitive campground last time I was there... perfect for some LR shooting...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Jacks are perfect! So is the LR shooting. I'm bringing my 45-70 and wanted to try some longer range stuff with it, I don't know...maybe 300+ yards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some mortar practice? smile

Steens really is awesome. Best word I can think of. It's like northern New Mexico in Oregon.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Can you give more specifics about remote/primitive camping? Should I PM you, or can you post it here? Are they secret spots?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd also check out the Ft. Rock / Christmas Valley area. Lots of interesting geological stuff. Ft. Rock, Derricks Cave, Hole in the Ground, Crack in the Ground, The Dunes, The Lost Forrest. Those and lots 'o rats.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I second the above, and the Steens. This year is cold so there may be some sqeekers in the mornings.

Just north of Denio, on the cross road over to Basque, is the White Horse ranch, their Alfalfa fields hold some magnificent Bucks. And, west of the road between Basque and McDermott you can view Sheep.

The Abeer (spelling) Rim, and the National Antelope Refuge North of Lakeview are awesome. Delintment Lake out of Hines is a jewel too.

Honestly, you can't go wrong in Eastern Oregon if you keep your eyes opn. Th wildlife and Scenery are spectacular.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PS - Spare spare tires are in order in some areas. Lava is a real grind in some places.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too early to get up on the Steens, but a couple days spent around Fields can be great fun. Go east across the basin to the next hills to the east where there are several types of lizards and horny toads the kids can catch with a stick and a noose. One should see pronghorn and possibly sheep, and have about 2000 vacant square miles of desert to roam around and camp in. One can turn the kids loose and it will take them several hours to clear the horizon. Also, one can hike the east face of the Steens as high as he cares to go. Borax lake, and the Alvord and Whitehorse hot springs. Some good trout fishing also in Mann Lake (Lahontan cutthroat), and Trout and Whitehorse creeks. Great burgers, pies, and real ice cream milk shakes in the Fields cafe.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/06/10.

1Minute
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steve
I'd also check out the Ft. Rock / Christmas Valley area. Lots of interesting geological stuff. Ft. Rock, Derricks Cave, Hole in the Ground, Crack in the Ground, The Dunes, The Lost Forrest. Those and lots 'o rats.

Been to all of those places back 15 years ago and I can recommend them as well. Little Juniper mountain area had some great jackrabbit shooting and an old cow camp that was a good place to camp too.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've gone over there a lot in the past.. heck, you get east of Lakeview on 140, there is no end of places to shoot. Take some maps and make sure you are off private land ( unless you got permission)...

I hunted the White Horse unit a couple of seasons. Just got back there in my 4 Runner, and went all over the place.

There are several places listed above by other posters that are great.. but it is not all limited to just that.

I could spend a month cruising south east Oregon and not get homesick or tired.

If you have a camping trailer you are pretty self contained, so you should be pretty well set..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Head up north to Joseph. It's a pretty cool little town that time of year. Tim.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So is Elgin and Enterprise over East of La Grande on the Oregon side of Hells Canyon. It's some beautiful country over there on the South side of the Blues.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you want to shoot sage rats, Christmas Valley used to be the place to go. Camp in the forest near Ft. Rock and I doubt you will see anyone.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some damn fool dumped goldfish in Mann Lake.

Otherwise would be a great trip. The Hart Mountain antelope refuge is a must see. There is limited camping on the refuge...no campfires. One spot has a hot spring. Enter from the French Glen side and see a million jackrabbits. On the refuge there are about 2500 antelope, sage grouse, large mule deer, California Bighorns.

The Blitzen River near French Glen is excellent trout fishing. The Steens Mountain loop road will probably not be open yet but great drive if it is...opportunity to see lots of wild horses.

I'll be taking the same tour in July.

Fields cafe is a must stop.

Fly rod, varmint rifle, rimfire stuff a must.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wow, I envy you! I'm near 60 yrs old and the memories that are indelibly etched in my brain are from camping trips up the Lostine River in the 50's and early 60's. I'm sure it's changed a bit but that river and surrounding Wilderness area are absolutely incredible. If you go and have time, take some hikes into the Eagle Cap wilderness.

If you want isolation, continue past Joseph into the Hells Canyon Nat'l Recreation Area. There are numerous two-lane and gravel paths throughout that area. Be sure you have a GPS or good map. wink

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Wow, sounds like I don't have enough time to see it all. I might have to make it a yearly thing! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 56 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,107
Posts18,522,570
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.