Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
This is probably well-discussed so if you could point me to an old post. buddy of mine has a "little big horn pac-lounge" vest. Solid back. He can set up anywhere. No tree needed, just a bush.

Can't find any current info on the net so I suspect these are not manufactured anymore.

Can anyone suggest a similar vest or give me some reasons to chase a particular brand/ style.

Many thanks.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I believe mine is a Primos.

It is OK, but to be honest, I don't use one much anymore. I carry a Power Crystal, a mouth call, in the pocket of my jacket, and my shotgun.

I also have a foam cusion with a long string that I can carry around my shoulder.

I found that a lot more effective than having a sporting goods store on my chest. It was cool for a while, but if I got to walking/calling, and found myself a mile or so from the truck, it got heavy after a while, and I didn't use 75% of the stuff in the vest.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
I believe mine is a Primos.

It is OK, but to be honest, I don't use one much anymore. I carry a Power Crystal, a mouth call, in the pocket of my jacket, and my shotgun.

I also have a foam cusion with a long string that I can carry around my shoulder.

I found that a lot more effective than having a sporting goods store on my chest. It was cool for a while, but if I got to walking/calling, and found myself a mile or so from the truck, it got heavy after a while, and I didn't use 75% of the stuff in the vest.

+1

I had one, than bought another thinking the new one would be better. Now, they both stay in the closet. I would rather carry a fanny pack, if anything.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They can get heavy and that is for sure, especially if you carry more than five or six extra magnum shot shells.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The two things I think a vest is really good at rather than just stuffing your pockets full of gear; is for bringing drinking water along, and for packing the 20+ lb. gobbler out. My hunts are over rough, steep, Ozark mountain terrain and water is important on those semi-hot days when you�re several miles from the truck. The same for packing a gobbler out, having two hands free is very helpful and much less tiring when hiking out several miles in rough country. Maybe if I hunted farms where I could drive close to a field blind or hunted small woodlots it would be different. But a good vest is essential gear for my needs� and I wish I could find one that suited me. In fact, this Saturday I�m driving eighty five miles to the Cabela�s store to look them over and plan on buying a new one. My old vest is going to be handed down to a new hunter that I�m taking out this year for his first gobbler. I like my old vest pretty well, but this new guy will appreciate it, and I�m kind of in the mood for some new gear anyway. Other than a few shells and new mouth calls each year I don�t buy much gear anymore. Well, a new pair of snake boots is on the agenda for next year, but my old ones will see another season this year before they really need replaced. After that I�m back to a few shells and a mouth call annually.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
mogc what part of the ozarks are you hunting. I've heard turkeys gobbling for over a week now. no mushrooms yet near branson mo

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in Missouri and on the eastern section of the Ozarks. Our Youth Season is this weekend and the weather should be perfect. Kid's should have a great weekend.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With respect to vests, try them on! Sit with the, deploy and retract the seat, check the size of pockets and don't buy anything with a "Bass Pro" label on it if you want it to last...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I bought a new Primos vest for this season and it has been a big improvement over my last "no-name" vest. It has so many compartments and pockets that if you were to fill everyone the weight would be unbearable. There are times when I like to travel light and just use my pant's and shirt pockets.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Update: I just bought a new Mossy Oak NWTF Super Elite III and I'm thinking it is a keeper. I drove to both Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop stores in the St. Louis area and looked over every vest they had. I couldn't find one I liked even close to the Super Elite III. A little research on some dedicated turkey hunting websites reveals that a whole bunch of fellers feel the same way as this is an extremely popular vest. I think it is worth a strong look if you haven't bought a new one yet or someone else is contemplating a new turkey vest.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 67 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,579
Posts18,532,222
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.