Print Thread
Hop To
S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Been lurking here for a while, but not active.

Maybe I should know better, but I'm looking at a 99 EG in 300 Sav. of course--by the serial # at www.savage99.com, it's made in 1941 (4095xx)

No D&T ( which is good), but does have a Williams reciever sight (that I don't like and would replace) in the proper tang holes but the forearm has a swivel stud and the buttstock does not-anyone know why that might be? Maybe for a military biceps sling?
Funny thing is the lever boss code is just the letter "E" and no numbers and no oval--does this make sense?
Overall, no cracks in the wood, all parts are there, receiver blue is thin, barrel blue is pretty good, strong color case on the lever, a few spots of rust I am sure will clean right up. and it's got 4 or 5 dings (depressions really, not dents) on the buttstock. I'd rate it about 70 to 75% and it could be 75 to 80% with a little cleaning and oil on the stock.

Whats a fair price if I check it out more and all the numbers match? (which I thnk they will)
Shop is asking $350 but I think would take $300.00, but then I'd have to pay @ $20.00 sales tax, plus UPS to my state (it's in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, and an FFL transfer I can have done for $10.00, so I'd be in to it for @ $370 or so.

What do you guys think--would it be worth it? It'd mostly be a shooter, but if I trade up sometime in the future, I don't want to be upside down on it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SteveS; 04/07/10.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A man can piss 300$ away in short order...better buy it.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sold my outboard motor to an old friend Saturday for $300. Jed's right. Only took 4 days. $$ wasn't even spent on Savage related stuf. Bummer

Last edited by crowmagnum; 04/07/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LBC didn't mean anything until 1949, so you can ignore that. Odd that the forearm has swivel sling and buttstock doesn't, usually other way around.

If you remove the Williams, what are you going to replace it with?

Welcome to the forum, and good choice of rifle..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The price the shop is asking is a reasonable price, but if you can get a better deal, more power to ya. In any case, BUY IT... don't lose a good deal.

As Rory (Calhoun) sez... Savage began using the Lever Boss Codes ("LBC") in 1949, so the 1941 Model 99 at which you're looking doesn't have a LBC.

My own 1953 EG is in .300 Savage caliber and I couldn't be more happy... the .300 Savage is an excellent deer cartridge out to about 250 yards or so... and a decent elk, caribou and moose cartridge at 100-150 yards using a 165 grain Nosler Partition. I'd keep the range under 100 yards for black bear and use 165 grain Nosler Partition bullet as well.

If you handload, my current whitetail load is a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (but you could use their Partition or Accu-bond bullet as well) in front of 40.8 grains of H4895 (max. book load = 40.9 grains) using standard Winchester primers in Winchester cartridge cases. This combination yielded a very consistent 2635 fps (� 3 fps total velocity variation) according to my chronograph and gave good accuracy.

Welcome to the Forum, SteveS... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ron--Actually, I had a 1953 EG last year, that I traded last year towards a High Std. target pistol that I couldn't resist.

The 1953 was getting .70 groups for me with Federal Premium 150 gr. and swore I wouldn't sell it, but got caught in a moment of weakness for the pistol.
LBK was mad at me for not shooting a deer with it mad, but I didn't get hunting last year--two of my hunting buds both got sick and I never got around to it, so the gun went unused and I traded.

Now I have a chance to make it right with the Savage Gods and get another one, so pretty sure I'll pounce on this one when I give it one more look over.
No clue why no swivel in the butt--only thing I can think of is the front one was for a biceps sling--but I'll check out the numbers to see if they all match and maybe get it even if they don't.
I want to go with a flip up tang site, but they do get a little pricey--if cant get a good deal on one then I'll put a nicer Lyman or Redfield sight on it.

Last edited by SteveS; 04/08/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LBK wasn't/isn't mad at you for anything. Your gun, do what you want with it. Now, about this EG in Assachusetts. As I understand the law, you can buy a long gun there and do a FTF and bring it home. Avoiding the shipping and subsequent FFL fee. Things may have changed though. If you have it shipped, you aren't liable for the sales tax and if you do a FTF, you may have a chance at talking them out of charging you that by SAYING it was shipped.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For that kind of money I'd buy it. Hell, I've had bar tabs bigger than that.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
LBK--Just teasing you!
But, thanks for the heads up on a Mass. gun. Just one question--what's FTF? Is it Face To Face transaction? One of the guys at the shop indicated I'd need to go through my NH FFL, but I'll ask them for sure before I finalize. I do know they had some changes to their gun laws on March 12, 2010, but not sure what they all were. Actually they said I wasn't even supposed to handle a gun (at least a pistol) in their shop as I was a NH resident.

Again, thanks for the heads up! It'll probably be a week or so before I get all this done--I'll keep you posted how it works out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$300 is a more than fair price. You'll get your money out of it, and then some, when you decide to unload it.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Things may have changed down there. Last I knew, long guns could be bought over the counter face to face as long as what you were buying was legal in the state you reside. Just did the normal 4473 and produced photo ID you were good to go.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Legally you have to go through a FFL any time there's a transfer of a gun between residents of different states.

Realistically, it happens all the time that the FFL is left out when it's a face to face sale between individuals. Not making any recommendation here, up to you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I understand the situation, he is buying the gun from a dealer, not a private sale.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Then, depending on your home state laws, there's no need to go through another FFL. The FFL selling to you will have access to that information, ATF sends out regular updates to state laws.

There are some states which don't allow you to buy guns remotely. I remember being in Georgia and having to show my drivers license to prove state residency before being allowed to hold a gun.

S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
FYI all,
Called the shop in Mass. today--his laws in Mass. say I can't leave the store with it. So he has to ship to an ffl here in NH. Good news is I believe I'll avoid the sales tax and the UPS ground will only be $12.00 for a rifle. If it was a pistol they have to ship by overnight or second day for increased tracking abilities, and it would have been closer to $50.00 of UPS. In Mass, to buy a gun, you must have an FID card (Mass Firearms Identification Card), which only a resident can get. I'm good to go here in NH either way--no restrictions here except the instant background check routine at the ffl I'll use.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (79S, 673, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 19 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,323
Posts18,526,434
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.