Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#39791 06/23/01
G
gunner Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I usually use one of my old military saddles for when I work the bird dogs or when trialing.<P>My favorites are an old military Phillips, a British officers Barnsby, and what I believe is a WW2 Japanese officers saddle.<P>I also like the Canadian trooper Haggis model. I think it was made upon an improved "Ottawa"<P>Recently purchased a couple of beautiful hand made "old style" western saddles. Neither have been on the ponies as of yet. Actually I have them in one of the rooms set up on saddle trees. The make a purty durn nice perch to watch TV. I'm thinking about getting a roping dummy and practicing while I watch old (B) Westerns on the tube.<P>Whatya got?<P>regards<P>Bill Brink (gunner)

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bill,<BR>Because I ride mules, I have to have saddles made with mule bars in them so I have two right now. One for heavy work and one for trail We have a good saddle maker here in Colorado Springs by the name of Bob Brenner. He makes a great trial saddle that is one of the most comfortable I have ever ridden. I put in 18 miles yesterday in some rough country and felt great when I was done.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
K
K
McClellans U.S. calvary issue (circa 1889) and a McClellan stock saddle (circa 1887), for long hauls but a Crosby Prix St. George dressage saddle for simple trail work.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
i used a McClellan when i was a kid in the early 70's, and id love to have one now, but the originals seem to be rare now, wonder if any (besides the ones from India) are being made these days?.....gutpile

G
gunner Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hey Gutpile,<P>You might want to investigate the availablity for a quality McClellan over at the Military Horse site.<P>It's a neat site for anything involving cavalary, it's equipment or the military horse. Want ads, for sale ads, links, forums, and downloadable old photos, manuals, etc.<P>regards, <P>gunner

IC B2

J
J
For me it's one of my custom made slick forks. Latest made by Mark Denny of Cariboo Saddlery in Williams Lake, British Columbia.
<br>
<br>Warm regards,
<br>
<br>Jim

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jim: I know Mark will be glad to know that you are happy with his saddle. He makes solid working rigs and his slick fork is a fine trail saddle. I'll print out this thread and take it to him. besto, stocker.

I bought a custom saddle on consignment in Castle Rock, CO. several years ago for $350. Everybody who has tried rit aves about its comfort. It's nothing much to look at, but has good leather, light weight and excellent hardware. It was made by Robert Forselius in Cheyenne, WY. If you want his number, let me know.
<br>

Leif Wold

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,740
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.